Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Jan 2021, 21:19 (Ref:4029515)   #1
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Southgate / John Thompson / Auto Racing Technology

Hopefully someone can satisfy my curiosity regarding Auto Racing Technology, the joint venture in the 80s between Tony Southgate and John Thompson.

I'm reading a book at the moment which mentions the six original Ford RS200 prototypes were built by ART, who were based in Wollaston, Northamptonshire.

I've also found mention of them regarding the shell of Supervan 2 but most of the articles are misspelling Wollaston as Woolaston (which would mean Gloucestershire)

Doing a bit more research, John Thompson is mentioned as 'being semi retired but unable to sit still so you can find him at EY3 Engineering' in 2006. EY3 engineering is in Wellingborough, a few miles away from Wollaston in Northamptonshire so I'm fairly confident the Gloucs mentions are merely a repeatedly copied typo.

Anyway, I'm interested because I've lived in Wollaston my whole life and I'm trying to find out exactly where within the village the ART workshop was. No other reason other than pure intrigue.

It's a small village and I'd be very surprised if their premises was even there anymore as there's been a significant amount of redevelopment since the 80s but sometimes, just knowing the answer to a question is good enough!

Can anyone help?
Old 22 Jan 2021, 18:26 (Ref:4030732)   #2
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always thought that John Thompson's workshops were in Earls Barton.
Old 8 Feb 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4034099)   #3
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I always thought that John Thompson's workshops were in Earls Barton.
Quite possible, do you know where?

I’ve seen a registered address of Oxford Street Wellingborough, a place which is now a rehab centre and doesn’t look like it could have ever been a workshop.

I also managed to find an address on companies house for him, a home address in another double-barrelled village in the area, looking on Streetview there’s a car on the drive which definitely makes a lot of sense from his career.

I’m getting closer to emailing EY3 and seeing if someone can just ask him!