Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 5 May 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3731854)   #1
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I know this a mostly racing forum....but sad to hear that Timo Makinen left us yesterday (4/5/17) - one of the original Flying Finns.......
It was announced as well yesterday that Sir John Whitmore had also passed away - another legend
Old 5 May 2017, 23:09 (Ref:3731855)   #2
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
It was announced as well yesterday that Sir John Whitmore had also passed away - another legend
I, in turn, hadn't heard that - one of my heroes for his exploits in the unusual red with gold stripe liveried Lotus Cortina.......even painted my slot-car Cortina to match......

Sir John and Timo more-or-less the same age - both will be fondly remembered.......RIP.
Old 6 May 2017, 05:33 (Ref:3731856)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
RIP Sir John, another touring car hero gone. British Champ in an 850cc Mini and European Champ in the AMR Cortina.
Old 6 May 2017, 08:53 (Ref:3731857)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
.......even painted my slot-car Cortina to match......
Me too. RIP John.
Old 6 May 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3731858)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
I used to see and speak to John a fair bit when he lived close to me in the UK, and last year I heard what had happened to him , however he did live a good life after racing and used to play squash very competitively at the school that my wife worked at. RIP John.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 May 2017, 06:10 (Ref:3731853)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sir John Whitmore

Another sad loss.

RIP
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 13 May 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3733246)   #7
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I missing something? There seems to be little said about Sir John's passing in the usual motorsport outlets. I don't get it, are people unaware? I was expecting to read on obit on the MotorSport site for instance but my searches turned up nothing. Perplexed.

RIP Sir.
Old 21 May 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3734821)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I seem to have read obits in most of the mags, mostly short, I admit, but a full one in the latest issue of Octane. I suspect that the next issue of Motor Sport will have a proper one, hopefully, but yes, a bit surprised they don't seem to have anything online. Here's a few to be getting on with:-

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129317

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...1937-2017.html

http://www.brdc.co.uk/Notice-of-Deat...e-Bt-1937-2017

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/h...re-1937--2017/

http://www.retro-speed.co.uk/showreports.asp?art=22062

And one from a different angle:-

http://www.instituteofcoaching.org/s...more-1937-2017
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!