Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Aug 2016, 00:42 (Ref:3665251)   #276
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
speedcafe discusses the topic

Control tyre for 2017 Bathurst 12 Hour

note it only tips Pirelli to be the control tyre, Not that it is yet.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 00:54 (Ref:3665254)   #277
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Controlling mechanical components including tyres is meant to a) reduce cost by reducing competitive variables that may cause teams with more money to test things that teams with less money might not be able to. And b) by making a control supplier bid for a large, predictable amount of business, lower supply prices on a fixed specification of product is the aim of a control supply agreement.
Quote:
Bathurst 12 Hour boss John Casey attended the recent 24 Hours of Spa in Belgium, where a meeting with Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembrey is understood to have taken place.

Casey confirmed to Speedcafe.com that he hopes to soon confirm a control tyre contract in the interests of parity.

“We adopted the Balance of Performance (from the Blancpain Series) because it’s a fantastic structure and platform for competitors,” Casey told Speedcafe.com. “It provides massive confidence from the competitors in terms of the event and the BoP is based on a single tyre. So to introduce multiple tyres into the equation makes the BoP less perfect.

“It’s an extra variable in a formula where you’re actually trying to take away variables.”
Well well well.

Quote:
The move follows unrest among teams at the 2016 event, where those on Michelins struggled to keep up with their Pirelli rivals.

Pirelli’s pole and victory came amid suggestions that the Italian firm had flaunted regulations requiring the tyres to be commonly available and not specifically made for the circuit.
That is a fairly explosive allegation - sourced from Michelin no doubt. For anybody doubting that Michelin put in a lip service bid only to be able to say they bid and lost - I rest my case.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 04:05 (Ref:3665277)   #278
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That is a fairly explosive allegation - sourced from Michelin no doubt. For anybody doubting that Michelin put in a lip service bid only to be able to say they bid and lost - I rest my case.
No doubt?

Unless there is widely available evidence one would believe there is a fair amount of doubt - wouldnt you?

Control tyre confirmed the event loses more of its identity and what made it the interesting
Old 12 Aug 2016, 04:13 (Ref:3665278)   #279
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
No doubt? Unless there is widely available evidence one would believe there is a fair amount of doubt - wouldnt you?
So NOW you want evidence. How expedient.

Michelin got their ass handed to them and whether true or not accusations got made that Pirelli broke the rules. Teams are not going to come up with that on their own. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 04:25 (Ref:3665281)   #280
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Control tyre confirmed the event loses more of its identity and what made it the interesting
I think going to all pro teams affects its identity more, no longer a pro am race

Tyres, mean so little to it, heck they mean so little that they hadn't been mentioned in this thread up until this discussion

now driver seedings, a much more interesting topic
Old 12 Aug 2016, 04:44 (Ref:3665282)   #281
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I was a team, coming from overseas for a one off marque event like the 12 hours, i wouldn't want to be stuck on the wrong tyre brand and only find out once i'm here ...

Its a good move to go to one tyre manufacturer.

I also didn't hear anyone in the crowd say there were there to watch the Michelin vs Pirelli war ...

I think its a sensible decision that will go unnoticed by most and should only provide closer racing.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 06:46 (Ref:3665294)   #282
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not really. When making definitive statements as you did, there is usually something to support it?

Quote:
Michelin got their ass handed to them and whether true or not accusations got made that Pirelli broke the rules. Teams are not going to come up with that on their own. Draw your own conclusions.
Michelin won 5 of the last 6 B12 Hour events. I can't see them throwing out the toys in the fashion you are suggesting here.

Michelin and Pirelli run GT3 cars and events all throughout Europe so I don't see how any International teams were at a disadvantage in last years event
Old 12 Aug 2016, 08:09 (Ref:3665303)   #283
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Michelin and Pirelli run GT3 cars and events all throughout Europe so I don't see how any International teams were at a disadvantage in last years event
I'd have to assume the Speedcafe comments came from teams that actually competed so I am not really bothered whether you can see it or not...

Old 12 Aug 2016, 09:38 (Ref:3665328)   #284
Bikerider
Rookie

Bikerider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Don't know what race you were watching ? Outside the Giz doing his thing in the last hour Pirelli were nowhere on all there cars. Race pace was much slower than there Quail pace.
If you can remember the Giz was almost a lap down after he triped over his D!#$ and doing his drive through, Only to be brought back into contention after yet another Pirelli tyre blew up.
Hope they have lots to supply after what the teams went through at Phillip Island.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3665450)   #285
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I think going to all pro teams affects its identity more, no longer a pro am race
How is going all PRO teams affecting it's identity?

The 12hr wasn't a Pro-Am race when it first started
Old 13 Aug 2016, 00:32 (Ref:3665455)   #286
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km View Post
If I was a team, coming from overseas for a one off marque event like the 12 hours, i wouldn't want to be stuck on the wrong tyre brand and only find out once i'm here ...

Its a good move to go to one tyre manufacturer.

I also didn't hear anyone in the crowd say there were there to watch the Michelin vs Pirelli war ...

I think its a sensible decision that will go unnoticed by most and should only provide closer racing.
Personally I enjoyed it, different conditions suited different tyres and cars etc and from what I understand Pirelli at least and maybe Michelin were bringing multiple compounds to the track. There were/are grumblings that not all compounds were created equal though and not readily available to everyone.

It certainly contributed to the stunning lap times we saw in the last 2 years and hopefully the move to a single tyre still sees multiple compounds being accessible.

Anyway its done and whatever the true intentions it will create a level playing field and bring it in line with the overseas blancpain series which makes sense.
Old 13 Aug 2016, 08:07 (Ref:3665481)   #287
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The major difference between VASC and AGT or B12hr is that in VASC there is only 1 tyre size used. Front or rear, whichever brand car, they are all the same size and go on the same wheel. Having different dry compounds as well as inters is more feasible.

For the 12 hour most cars have a smaller front, larger rear tyre size, and whilst I don't know for sure, I imagine it would be quite feasible that different makes of car might use different widths and/or diameter tyres. If so, introducing multiple compounds would create a logistical nightmare.
Old 13 Aug 2016, 08:27 (Ref:3665482)   #288
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
The race is adopting more regs and rules from Blancpain Endurance Series so the use of a control tyre supplier like Pirelli which is similar to BES is no big surprise.

I like a good tire war but Ive got Super GT to satisfy that craving
Old 13 Aug 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3665493)   #289
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take the move to a likely Pirelli control tyre to be more about falling into line with the other events that form part of the series that the 12hr is a part of...same with the move to allowing all 'professional' teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km View Post
Surely that is just a part of motor racing?
Old 13 Aug 2016, 21:41 (Ref:3665534)   #290
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I take the move to a likely Pirelli control tyre to be more about falling into line with the other events that form part of the series that the 12hr is a part of...same with the move to allowing all 'professional' teams

Surely that is just a part of motor racing?
Not really. Most major series dont have multiple tyre choices. Really only amaturer series that have it now

Even in the last couple of years, the 12 hour only had a choice of two brands as dictated by the rules
Old 14 Aug 2016, 00:09 (Ref:3665545)   #291
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Not really. Most major series dont have multiple tyre choices. Really only amaturer series that have it now
Super GT, WEC, WRC etc - any other amateur series you want to identify peckstar
Old 14 Aug 2016, 00:26 (Ref:3665547)   #292
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL such amateur world championships

Generally I like tyre wars as it forces the manufacturer to make good quality tyres and let's the drivers race hard. I hate seeing drivers have to tiptoe around to make them last.

Having said that, I have no qualms with Pirelli being the sole tyre supplier. They are the benchmark for SRO BOP and have shown they can produce a good tyre. With Pirelli going to huge lengths to produce a good tyre for Bathurst, I doubt Michelin would have any advantage anyway.
Old 14 Aug 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3665551)   #293
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never a good idea to want to continue to argue a point when your lack of knowledge on the category keeps embarassing you.

Last edited by Reload; 14 Aug 2016 at 01:10.
Old 14 Aug 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3665557)   #294
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Super GT, WEC, WRC etc - any other amateur series you want to identify peckstar
Happy with my statement, fully aware of what i said and those championships, When you drag in WRC, it shows how desperate you were to find them

In return I throw at you F1, NASCAR, Indy car WTCC, BTCC, Blanpain, V8 Supercar, Formula E, DTM.

Like i said, "Most major series don't have multiple tyre choices."

But nice use of a strawman again, you're very good at it, Only using part of my sentence, As for your sheep

and still managed to totally ignore the fact that we havent had open tyre barnds at the 12 hour for 4 years now and probably longer

Last edited by peckstar; 14 Aug 2016 at 03:52.
Old 14 Aug 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3665661)   #295
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
I don't think the problem is this statement...

Quote:
Most major series dont have multiple tyre choices.
But this one...

Quote:
Really only amaturer series that have it now
But let's just dismiss those world championship series and get this topic back on track shall we?
Old 14 Aug 2016, 22:11 (Ref:3665662)   #296
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingo View Post
I don't think the problem is this statement...

But this one...

But let's just dismiss those world championship series and get this topic back on track shall we?
Why did you separate one statement into two? Read them together as per what i wrote.

but as you said get back on topic anyway, instead of trying to score cheap points over part of a comment
Old 14 Aug 2016, 22:23 (Ref:3665665)   #297
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
2017 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour: Feb 3-5

Sorry I thought that when you said "only amateur series" you meant ONLY amateur series. Clearly I am mistaken.

Yes, let's move on. My apologies.
Old 15 Aug 2016, 05:56 (Ref:3665693)   #298
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
When you drag in WRC, it shows how desperate you were to find them
Four manufacturer-backed teams signed up for the outright class next year, Red Bull promoting the championship.... not sure why it's a "desperate" example of the poster to use?
Old 15 Aug 2016, 07:36 (Ref:3665698)   #299
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Snipe, snipe, troll, dig, pester, harangue, whine, score points and on it goes.

This is not directed at any particular one of the group on here who seem to constantly dig, make snide comment, pick, score cheap points, pester and generally behave like kindergarten children. It is directed at all of you.

For Chrissake please grow up and cease this constant rubbish. Honestly, it's hard to believe that ANY of you are over the age of 4.

At the very least please put your bloody handbags away and behave civilly.

What a pathetic effort and a real shame to have this thread sink to nothing other than utterly meaningless tripe.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3665944)   #300
D.R.T.
Veteran

Yeah....righto. In other news looks like AMAC Motorsport is making the move to Lamborghini. Will be interesting if new machinery takes them back to the 12 Hour?