Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Apr 2009, 00:30 (Ref:2435588)   #26
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well... I think the changes will make it better than what we saw at clipsal, but, it's obviously only a band-aid solution... a VERY cheap band-aid at best.... Possibly good for the spectators as there will be more track time (or does it replace the scheduled warm up??) but really what was sooo wrong with last years format??
Old 7 Apr 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2435632)   #27
Kiwikid
Racer

Kiwikid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik View Post
Im happy with the change but dont understand why they just dont start from R1 finshing positions.
Everyone is asking this question. Yet V8SC seem to have answered it within their media release. The two races are separate.

To make the point, take the extreme, they don't use Phillip Island's finishing positions to determine the start grid for Bathurst!

So, this discussion must surely be on do we want "rounds" or "races"? According to their media, V8SC feel that - by having individual races - drivers will give them more 'value' and are more likely to "race". Hard to argue that if you are in 6th - and that will be where you start tomorrows race - there is a disincentive to have a go at a pass for 5th.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 04:20 (Ref:2435641)   #28
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikid View Post
they don't use Phillip Island's finishing positions to determine the start grid for Bathurst!
Now there's a novel idea!

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 06:05 (Ref:2435659)   #29
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The three tier qualifying system for the shorter Saturday race, and a quick session for the main Sunday race (which despite what V8SA are saying, will always be looked upon as the feature race of every meeting)

An interesting idea, seems pretty thrown together to me....

These guys have been at this since 1997, surely this kind of stuff shouldn't be a problem these days.....

Quote:
Everyone is asking this question. Yet V8SC seem to have answered it within their media release. The two races are separate.
Yet V8SA themselves have said in press releases that they will be tallying overall round results for the record books......
Old 7 Apr 2009, 06:08 (Ref:2435660)   #30
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik View Post
Other than it was a complete farce ??
Gridding up in race 2 back in the original qualifying places IMHO was a joke.

Im happy with the change but dont understand why they just dont start from R1 finshing positions.
I wasn't referring to the Clipsal qualifying. It sucked. I was referring to last years qualifying when asking the question "Why fix something if it aint broke..."

You're right, gridding up in race 2 as you said was a joke.

Here's an idea. Bring back the Peter Jackson Dash for Cash (substitute the sponsor with something such as "Ansell Condoms"). But dont make them drive their own cars, let VESA (or whoever) build diesel powered V8 go-karts, powered by Cummins. All the cars identical, no branding. And oh yeah, where possible (Oran park would've been good), get them to drive them on dirt tracks in the infield or adjacent to the track.

No we are talking... The Ansell Condoms dash for cash, in V8 diesel go karts on dirt.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2435695)   #31
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To make the point, take the extreme, they don't use Phillip Island's finishing positions to determine the start grid for Bathurst!
Thats because there separate events, endurance events, that have never been classed as race 1 and race 2, then grouped together for points......
Old 7 Apr 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2435727)   #32
Kiwikid
Racer

Kiwikid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Thats because there separate events, endurance events, that have never been classed as race 1 and race 2, then grouped together for points......
Thanks STEALTHY - that is confirming why V8SC see the need for change. You now have 2 seperate races on one weekend. They do NOT group the points.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2435771)   #33
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Thanks STEALTHY - that is confirming why V8SC see the need for change. You now have 2 seperate races on one weekend. They do NOT group the points.
Why was sundays winner at clipsal called the clipsal 500 winner then?

Shouldn't there be TWO clipsal 250 winners
Old 7 Apr 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2435773)   #34
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YES !
Old 7 Apr 2009, 23:39 (Ref:2436323)   #35
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
So why go through the rigmarole of 3 qualifying sessions for Saturday's race, then just one 20 min session on Sunday?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 02:14 (Ref:2436363)   #36
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's called 'tweaking the rules to suit the paying public'.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 03:38 (Ref:2436376)   #37
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
So why go through the rigmarole of 3 qualifying sessions for Saturday's race, then just one 20 min session on Sunday?
Exactly. It's more of an afterthought isn't it?

OK, fair enough, they want to treat as race as a separate event. Why not have what A1GP do and have two qualifying sessions (30 minutes or whatever), straight after the other, to determine the grid order? Get rid of the shootout and use it only for the endurance races.

And yes, get rid of that stupid 'co-driver' race business at Phillip Island. If there's one place in Australia that is awesome to see one car going round at a time, it's Phillip Island.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 8 Apr 2009, 03:51 (Ref:2436378)   #38
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
And yes, get rid of that stupid 'co-driver' race business at Phillip Island. If there's one place in Australia that is awesome to see one car going round at a time, it's Phillip Island.
Good point. Although I'd say PI would come after Bathurst in that respect.

Old 8 Apr 2009, 04:40 (Ref:2436387)   #39
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For every one that ejoys seeing 'shoot outs' with one car on the track at a time there is another who says 'get rid of them'.

Personally the sooner they get rid of these 'top ten shootouts' the better the sport will be - they don't prove anything except the driver can go fast on a track with no one else around them. If they can't work for their grid position (i.e. amongst traffic and other cars) then they shouldn't be out there.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 05:15 (Ref:2436394)   #40
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
I'm with chatters on the 2 sessions right after eachother.

I like the shootout, but only at the enduro's.
Chatters, i don't think it would be safe for 1 driver to do the enduro (either or both of them). Seeing how some people get out of the car after a single stint, couldn't imagine many cars finishing if it was 1 driver.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 05:48 (Ref:2436397)   #41
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he was suggesting a single driver in the enduros, just getting rid of the separate co-drivers' race.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2436628)   #42
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those two 14 lap mini races (one with driver "A" and another for "B") with a single tyre stop in one of the two races.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2436644)   #43
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, them.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 8 Apr 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2436650)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i thought theyw ere good, cant see why anyone wouldnt like them
Old 8 Apr 2009, 13:05 (Ref:2436689)   #45
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i didn't mind them but i thought that the pit stop in one race and not the other was dumb, either have it for both or none.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2436712)   #46
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
i didn't mind them but i thought that the pit stop in one race and not the other was dumb, either have it for both or none.
My thoughts exactly
Old 9 Apr 2009, 03:19 (Ref:2437095)   #47
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i thought theyw ere good, cant see why anyone wouldnt like them
Because they were nothing races. The 'racing' was taken out of both heats as different cars stopped in different races....

Plus they were all hardly pushing it, the important stuff was the next day.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 04:06 (Ref:2437106)   #48
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
it was just a form of qualifying though. it seemed like they were racing to me?

did you watch it.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 04:13 (Ref:2437108)   #49
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seemed like the GP races to me, they raced but didn't put it all on the line & risk big daage.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 06:01 (Ref:2437129)   #50
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
have you ever known then to do that pro

and to be fair when they created a qualifying system that allowed them to do you all moaned and complained and so now they have changed it

serously some of you guys need to get together and work out what you want, because in all honesty it seems like you just want to complain and sook