Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Apr 2009, 03:54 (Ref:2432013)   #1
2lt SuperTourer
Rookie

2lt SuperTourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buying a used racing car.

Hi.
Just enquiring as to what things a person should look for/at,and questions to ask when purchasing a used racing car?,(improved production/sports sedan),who do you get to check them out if the car is in another state?

Thanks in advance.
2lt

p.s if this is in the wrong forum, i`m sorry.

Last edited by 2lt SuperTourer; 3 Apr 2009 at 03:55. Reason: typed in the wrong word
Old 3 Apr 2009, 04:45 (Ref:2432024)   #2
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2lt one of the important things is to make sure you actually get the car that you buy.
You go along and look at the car and buy it, leave a deposit and later come back and pick it up.
Lo and behold when you get it home and have another look at it, various parts of the car have been changed in the interim. The genuine brake calipers have come off and different ones put on. The head , diff or gearbox has been swapped or the alloy adjustable front top suspension mounts have been removed....all true stories.
Some people ask the owner to take the car to the track and replicate the lap times it has previously done especially if it is a top car. Buy it and take it then.
If you can't take it straight away take photos of as many parts as possible.Record any engine ,gearbox or parts numbers.
There are lots of honest people in motorsport but there are lots of dishonest people as well.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 04:47 (Ref:2432025)   #3
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
profi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dr bob is right, lots of shifty people out there.

anyway check your pm mr 2lt
Old 3 Apr 2009, 06:03 (Ref:2432043)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DrBob is right, some people sell a good car and then deliver it with inferior parts fitted in place of all the good stuff that was on it when the buyer inspected the car. Ideally, you'd ask the vendor to take the car to a circuit and if it matches the target time, you hand over the money and put the car on your trailer and take it straight home, not via his shed.

I would add that it is also a good idea to get in touch with the state association for that particular class, they will probably know the car and if you talk to enough people, you'll find out if the car is competitive, reliable and legal.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2432090)   #5
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And don't forget any log book(s) the car had during its racing history.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2432159)   #6
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So...
Trust everyone!....

But...
'Cut the Cards' anyway!!!

(anon.)
Old 3 Apr 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2432793)   #7
lala1980
Rookie

lala1980 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just don't buy from any of the Sherrins or their former team manager..................
Old 3 Apr 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2432829)   #8
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Hey mate post up the cars your interested in, people around here should know the history.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 23:34 (Ref:2432847)   #9
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pete Geoghegan

Cant say this is true but it is as told to me:

Pete Geoghegan sold a car & advised the new owner not to touch the settings after doing pre delivery laps on circuit record pace.

After a couple of meetings the new owner complained the car was not what he bought - yes he had changed it - Pete tested the car & knocked a couple of seconds off the new owners best.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2432874)   #10
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Cant say this is true but it is as told to me:

Pete Geoghegan sold a car & advised the new owner not to touch the settings after doing pre delivery laps on circuit record pace.

After a couple of meetings the new owner complained the car was not what he bought - yes he had changed it - Pete tested the car & knocked a couple of seconds off the new owners best.
you nearly got the story right. Geoghegan drove the car broke the lap record, got out and said "ive found the problem"

If someone is fast in a car doesn't mean the car is fast. Some people are simply freak drivers.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2432882)   #11
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As they say caveat emptor.

I have heard of this happening in Australia before and even more with Aussies purchasing things from overseas.

Last year I was going to buy a sidecar from the UK and was extremely worried at buying sight unseen. So worried in fact I nearly jumped on a plane to go for a look, then I thought I'd go over for one of their bigger meetings and make an offer as it leaves the racetrack, take it now, as is, where is. I had a bit saved up so I should have got something good. I ended up buying one locally as I knew the seller and the two previous owners.

Jeff

Old 4 Apr 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2432977)   #12
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buy it NEW or buy it from PIT LANE, and never buy unless your trailer is ready to be loaded.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 00:03 (Ref:2433644)   #13
2lt SuperTourer
Rookie

2lt SuperTourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by profi View Post
Hey mate post up the cars your interested in, people around here should know the history.
Hi.
This is a pic of the car,driven by troy harrison, do many people here know the car?

Thanks
2lt
Old 5 Apr 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2433645)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FWIW, when Scot Hunter had the car is was quite a quick U2L car, for the money spent on it, but Scott is a top notch driver.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2433654)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here

The logical questions you would have to ask, besides equipment specification, is when the last time the car had a birthday.

The engine is quoted in the ad as having 10 hours on it. For a grader or roller or frond end loader 10 hours is nothing. For a 4AGE engine bouncing off the limiter at 8,000rpm+ in every gearchange, is that a stress that means there is some revision work to be done in the very near future?

The same goes for the rest of the package, and whether you have the time, energy, skill, inclination and funds to rebuild the car before you run it... or wait till it breaks?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Apr 2009, 00:37 (Ref:2433655)   #16
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lt SuperTourer View Post
Hi.
This is a pic of the car,driven by troy harrison, do many people here know the car?

Thanks
2lt
That is a very well presented car. Troy always has it at its best, and what he tells you about the car will be correct.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 5 Apr 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2433657)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you were half serious when you get the car, taking it to Yeager Performance for a birthday wouldn't go astray. They are very familiar with the car, and a lot of similar machines.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2434728)   #18
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
2 litre sports sedans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yehSLOAIfdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8hpp...eature=channel
Old 6 Apr 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2435058)   #19
ke20v
Rookie

ke20v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys,

Yes this car is a fantastic package, i have had the car for a few years sinse buying it off scott and it has had a complete rebuild from front to back, there is a error in the ad for engine hours, it was refreshed 12 mths ago sinse then it has done no more than 2 hrs work, work was carried out by myself (qualified Mechanic) with assistance from Mark Yager.

This car is a consistantly quick car, unfortunantly there is no under 2lt sports sedan class in sydney, i have been competing in the independent race series aswell as the MRA series with fantastic front running results.

Im happy to answer any questions and help in any way with any interest.

TROY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMkxqCAzNqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqBIfX-IBo

Last edited by ke20v; 6 Apr 2009 at 12:37. Reason: added youtube links
Old 6 Apr 2009, 13:52 (Ref:2435178)   #20
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alloy cage, is that legal?? In my old 323 I was questioned about it having an alloy cage but it never became an issue as I sold the car soon after to NZ where the alloy cage was not an issue.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2435490)   #21
ke20v
Rookie

ke20v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes alloy cages are 100% legal if the car was log booked prior to the new rule of steel cages. This car was log booked in the mid 90s so it is able to compete with a alloy cage.