Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Sep 2010, 03:57 (Ref:2763340)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
more info

It would appear that Calder is not being considered for F1, The study is too look at calder for ann updated drags track

Calder has zero chance of holding the GP
Old 23 Sep 2010, 05:28 (Ref:2763355)   #27
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Probably for the best, wouldnt want F1 at Calder, access wise its woeful compared to Albert Park, its great having it smack bang in the middle of the city not out in the suburbs.

Melbourne really needs a decent dragstrip.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 06:40 (Ref:2763363)   #28
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian MacArthur General Manager of Calder Park will be our guest this week on In Pit Lane to talk about what's happening.
For CAMS take on the situation we have comments here.
In the end the people who look like missing out could be ANDRA and the Motorvate Melbourne group.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 08:39 (Ref:2763419)   #29
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
But little to Bob's knowledge at the time South Australian government were taking to Bernie...
I think you'll find Bob went in to bat for the SA Gov and helped them secure the F1's.

Also running the World Sports Prototype event at Sandown in 1984 (which sent the LCCA broke) showed the FIA Australia could run FIA Standard events so Melbourne helped Adelaide get the GP more than most realise.

It's interesting how a thread that has been going for 3 weeks on here that all started from an item in a local newspaper has been blown out of proportion by the two daily newspapers

Just remember where you read about it first and who started it all
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:23 (Ref:2763473)   #30
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
It's interesting how a thread that has been going for 3 weeks on here that all started from an item in a local newspaper has been blown out of proportion by the two daily newspapers

Just remember where you read about it first and who started it all
Yes, congrats to Motorsport enews. I read it there on the 30th of August.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2763915)   #31
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksie View Post
Yes, congrats to Motorsport enews. I read it there on the 30th of August.
So you're the person who still buys eNews
Old 30 Sep 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2766996)   #32
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
From In Pit Lane.

http://inpitlane.com/archives/12315

Quote:
CALDER PARK CLEARING UP THE CONFUSION ?
Thu, Sep 30, 2010

Calder Park owner Bob Jane has released a statement to clear up confusion of recent media announcements regarding the future of the Melbourne circuit.

In the statement Mr Jane reveals that it was the Victorian State Government that approached Calder Park and not the other way around.

“For reasons not fully known to Calder Park, the Government has made an apparent decision to assist Calder Park, subject to many conditions. This Heads of Agreement is only the beginning of a detailed process and it has conditions that Calder Park may or may not be able to meet.”

It is believed that some of those conditions would be the involvement of both The Australian National Drag Racing Association (ANDRA) and the Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS)

Jane has been a strident critic of both groups and even the lure of taxpayer dollars seems to have done little to sway his opinions of them.

Mr Jane also said that while Drag Racing was the tracks top priority, he was hopeful that any Government support for the track would include upgrades to the circuit as well to bring it in line with International Safety standards.

“We want to produce a racetrack that is capable of meeting and exceeding the most stringent of safety rules and regulations and one that would be capable of hosting the F1, if any unforeseen circumstances arise that prevent the AGP from being held at Albert Park. Most importantly we want a racetrack capable of hosting the following events:

1) NASCAR road racing

2) INDY racing

3) GT 1 racing

4) Sportscar/ Le Mans racing

5) V8 (supercar) racing

6) Motorcycle racing

7) Club racing and all other forms of motorsport”

He also confirmed that the plans could include a twin/four lane Drag Strip as proposed by the Motorvate Melbourne group for a planned track near Avalon.

According to Mr Jane the advantages of the proposed improvements for Calder Park is that the venue has the capability of running 365 days or nights a year with no set up costs.

Meanwhile Calder Park manager Ian MacArthur has accused the Motorvate Melbourne group and ANDRA of spreading mis-information about Calder Park and Drag Racing.

Speaking on C31’s weekly motorsport news show “In Pit Lane” Mr MacArthur said that stories regarding noise permit problems and safety issues at the track were untrue.

“The feedback that we’ve been getting from Drag Racers is that there are a number of rumours spreading about Calder Park which are just not true.”Mr MacArthur said.

He said that claims by the group that the track was subject to major noise restrictions by the local Brimbank City Council were untrue.

“We’re actually on the flight path to Tullamarine so noise levels down there are pretty high right through the day and most of the night… we can run concerts, we can also run Jet Cars down there as well… so Top Fuel Dragsters will not be a problem.”

Mr MacArthur also denied that the decision to run Top Doorslammers at the next major meting on November 20 over an 1/8th mile was due to safety concerns.

He said that the decision was taken by the Top Doorslammers group as part of their country tour series.

He also denied there were any problems with the tracks surface. “The track is not in dis-repair, we’re actually pulling some record times there at the moment.”

Mr MacArthur said that even if the Government sided with the Motorvate Melbourne/ANDRA option it would be at least five years before any racing took place.

“They have to but the land, they have to go through the whole planning permit thing, so for the people who want to go Drag Racing at the moment at least you have somewhere to go.”
You can listen to the podcast of the show here
http://inpitlane.com/archives/12312
Old 30 Sep 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2767463)   #33
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will see!
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2767485)   #34
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Exactly Trev.

Would be nice if it happen and be good for the sport but so many of us have seen this before.............
Old 1 Oct 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2767548)   #35
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any way to download the podcast Brett?

You have to respect Bob's enthusiasm however I'm not sure we will ever see classes 1-4 from that list ever take the track!
Old 1 Oct 2010, 02:15 (Ref:2767568)   #36
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Is there any way to download the podcast Brett?

You have to respect Bob's enthusiasm however I'm not sure we will ever see classes 1-4 from that list ever take the track!
The podcast is available via iTunes or there's a link on the website
The podcast is audio only due to copyright issues however we will be starting to put the interviews on our youtube channel starting with Jason Bright soon.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 02:33 (Ref:2767573)   #37
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Wow, here I was thinking we were going to get through a whole year without the almost annual 'Calder Park to have major upgrades' press release.
Goes well with the old news that came out about this time every year, that Bob was going to race his Mercedes 600 Grosser at Bathurst with Paul Newman co-driving.

Kramer
Old 4 Oct 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2769013)   #38
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So this is where GT1's could go. I remember watching a clip from the first WTCC back in 1987 on youtube a few months ago. It looked like a good track to race around.

Have any layout plans been revealed yet?
Old 5 Oct 2010, 08:07 (Ref:2769603)   #39
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I saw some prelim sketches at least 2 years ago of one idea for the layout but nothing official has been publicly released as yet.

A 6 hour proddy car race has been announced to use the combined flat & banked tracks similar to the 1987 WTCC round for April next year as a part of the AASA sanctioned series being discussed in another thread.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2769624)   #40
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again, I reiterate, we will see!
Old 20 Dec 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2806680)   #41
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I notice Calder has several large drag race meetings scheduled for the Smmmer season in 2011.

For those of you who would like to see the Thunderdome resurrected these photo's of Daytone being resurfaced will be of interest.

http://www.fwditon.com/fwd/view/10080
Old 20 Dec 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2806722)   #42
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recent editions of this thread seem to fail to consider the implications of the recent ABC documentary. The family business has recently had to sell many assets just to keep viable. Talk of significant expansion is surely exceedingly premature without an investor outside of the family businesses.

Rodney's talk throughout the docco was of consolidation for the business in recent past and near future rather than expansion.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 05:50 (Ref:2806768)   #43
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Recent editions of this thread seem to fail to consider the implications of the recent ABC documentary. The family business has recently had to sell many assets just to keep viable. Talk of significant expansion is surely exceedingly premature without an investor outside of the family businesses.

Rodney's talk throughout the docco was of consolidation for the business in recent past and near future rather than expansion.
Please list the assets sold 'just to keep viable'. Say just the top 10 of 'many'.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 06:28 (Ref:2806772)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gee Cavvy, he quoted the source, if your interested go and check the source
Old 21 Dec 2010, 06:32 (Ref:2806773)   #45
prepel
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
prepel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice to see calder Park relive the hay days of motor sport. I remember flying bob's red longranger and landing many times at Calder Park with thousands of motor sport fans.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 07:17 (Ref:2806776)   #46
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Please list the assets sold 'just to keep viable'. Say just the top 10 of 'many'.
From their mouths, they said they had to sell off race cars from Bob's collection, actually making a point of it that they would not be selling off any more.

It was in the show, go back and watch it. Should be available on ABC iView by now.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2806828)   #47
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maserati 300S was one car they mentioned being sold from memory
Old 21 Dec 2010, 10:04 (Ref:2806838)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Online view "coming soon"
Old 21 Dec 2010, 12:07 (Ref:2806892)   #49
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Maserati 300S was one car they mentioned being sold from memory

A car valued at between 1 & 2 million dollars....

Interesting that i cant find one person that even knew it was ever offered for sale.

Wouldn't you think that if you were in need of cash, your aim would be to get the best price ?

But obviously it must have sold via word of mouth.....

Who picked up this incredible bargain ?

Now if the bloke in question wanted 20 grand for each of 3 Kombi shells (no doors, or motor, or glass) what makes you think he would have let a million dollar car go for chicken feed ?

Seriously people, look through the TV program, and see what it was, a very well orchestrated puff piece !

Rodney saying that Bob has spent close to $200 million at Calder, well over 25 years, maybe he has:

Capital works, upkeep, wages, advertising, prizemoney, a oversized marketing department, buying race cars for Rodney & Kim.....

I'd say 200 is about right.....

But lets remember that almost every big event was sponsored (Goodyear Thunderdome) (Quit & TAC for Drag Nationals, as well as secondary sponsorships...), the place also had entry fees, gate takings, and there is a massive profit in selling fuel, beer, T-shirts & hamburgers at a race track

I don't buy the whole crying poor scenario one bit.

I have been going there as an official, for more than 20 years, and while some things change, a lot stays the same, and dipping into his pocket has always been spasmodic, depending which clown had his ear at what time.....

Will the owner of the Jane 300S please stand up ?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2807064)   #50
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
300S

Bob Jane raced a 300S pre decimal currency, sold to Peter Briggs in the 80s maybe for his York Museum, then on to Germany.

A 2nd 300S was acquired by Jane also way back. Passed thru a couple of hands in Aus & was acquired by Mark Knopfler in the 90s.

Long time ago ....