Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 8 Jan 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3701121)   #1
nigelmansell
Rookie

nigelmansell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Ford/ Formula 3 - please help me!

Hello!
I needed help. I am considering buying a used F3, for example a Dallara of the 90's. It is not to race, because where I live (Portugal) there are no F3 championships, only Formula Ford, saloons and prototype type Norma, Juno, Radical, etc ... I only intend to do track days and own a race car that I find interesting.
That's why I needed to hear your opinion. Is it more complicated to assist an F3 than an FFord? An F3 is less reliable than an FF, more prone to malfunctions and with expensive and complicated maintenance? Tires, parts, etc., are more expensive and difficult to find than in FF?
I really appreciate your help.

Nuno Maia
Old 10 Jan 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3701525)   #2
nigelmansell
Rookie

Come on guys, there are a lot of people involved in FF and F3 in this forum. Can not anyone help me? please...

Nuno
Old 10 Jan 2017, 10:45 (Ref:3701562)   #3
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The F3 car will be more expensive to run and maintain although they tend to be quite reliable if maintained properly.

They require special fuel for a start - eg Sunoco FR 102 or a similar type of racing fuel. Normal road car petrol is not suitable as the compression ratio is usually 13:1 - 14:1.

Full F3 engines has a mileage allowance and they require a refresh and rebuild after a certain distance covered - maybe every 4000km or so. Often has to be sent away to the manufacturer or the manufacturers recommended engine builder. Cost may be € 10,000 a time.

However, an option would be to consider cars from Spanish F3, later named European Open F3, now EuroFormula as they use a long-life Toyota engine more closely related to a road car. Engine mileage is longer than a full F3 engine and they will run quite happily on road car super unleaded fuel. Not as fast as a full F3 spec engine, but if you are not racing against other F3 cars, you wouldn't know.

Most F3 of this era do not have an alternator, so the car is started using an external battery which needs disconnecting once started, and you generally need help to tighten the belts fully without help from someone else, so at least one helper is desirable to help with the car.

---

A Formula Ford is simpler, and no aerodynamics to worry about, but with either the suspension setup needs to be accurately done to get the best out of them.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3701665)   #4
nigelmansell
Rookie

Thanks, for your replay Andrewc.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3701793)   #5
andrewc
Veteran

We've just sent one of our Dallara F3 cars overseas. The owner is planning to do the same thing - run as a trackday car

On a full tank of fuel you'll probably get 30-35 minutes of use from it, by which time the battery will be getting low, you'll be getting tired and the tyres will be going off.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3703554)   #6
nigelmansell
Rookie

Andrew,

what do you recommend, a Formula Renault 2.0 (before 2010), a Formula Ford 1.8 or any other thing?
As I said, I just want to have fun, track days and no competition. I donĀ“t like Jedis, nor electric cars.
Well, F3 may be is not appropriate because parts are difficult to find.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3703565)   #7
andrewc
Veteran

A Formula Renault 2.0 Tatuus would be a good alternative. They are not as quick as a F3 Car, but they made a lot of them, so spare parts availability is quite good and they published reasonably comprehensive owners manuals.

Your budget may allow you to buy some spare parts so that you've got stock of spare parts which you can call on when you need them and replace with less urgency.

Last edited by andrewc; 19 Jan 2017 at 12:19.