Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 14 Oct 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1433627)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking at buying a new car, finance info please

Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting a new car soon, I don't want to be driving my little Ka for ever (fun though she is!).

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking out a loan to cover the cost of it or something similar, which I've never really done before. Any info as to what to look for/avoid with this sort of thing? It'd probably only be about 3 grand or something like that, but I don't want to get ripped off.

Cheers for your help.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1433673)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You could try your bank or a cheap loan company like Direct line or Churchill. I wouldn't expect to pay more than 6 or 7% pa which should give you a total payable of approx £3400 over 2 years on a £3K loan
Old 14 Oct 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1433674)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds OK, I should look into what I can realistically get for my old car...
Old 15 Oct 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1434077)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
on an economic note, i'd say it's unwise to take on debt with the economy in it's current state.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1434078)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Well I was thinking about this, I have a fair few quid in my savings account (with a different back to my current account for some reason...), so I was thinking of dipping into that, then paying some of my wages back into that each month. Makes more sense than getting a loan and then having to pay back extra.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1434192)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, if you can cover it with savings I would definitely do that.

Then, if you can with the savings account you have, set up a standing order/direct debit from your current account every month to ensure you pay it back (cos if you're anything like me, you won't!).

No point taking out a loan when you have the cash - the interest you'll lose from your savings will be less than that you'd pay on a loan.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1436538)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
on an economic note, i'd say it's unwise to take on debt with the economy in it's current state.
On the other hand tommorow never comes, so enjoy it while you can.

Debt is part of life these days.

Personally I wouldn't spend all of your savings on a car, you'll miss it in your day to day life. Cars are great but you need cash/savings for girls, drink, football, clothes and......er, girls

If you budget for your loan/finance you'll not miss it. I've found that I'm no worse off despite paying for my car, as previously I simply ****ed away my dispossable income on things I didn't really need.

At least with a car you have something to show for the outlay.

BTW, check the loan section on Autotrader Online, you can check rates for dozens of companies.