Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Aug 2002, 12:15 (Ref:369027)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Letter to Sir Jackie Stewart

Well gang, I have been promising to write to someone in authority for some time and the receipt of a 'news release' from the BRDC/Octagon a few days ago has prompted me to write to Sir Jackie asking for his help. The letter has been posted to him today and is as follows:

Sir Jackie Stewart
President
British Racing Drivers Club
Silverstone Circuit
Towcester
Hants. NN12 8TN

30th August 2002.

Dear Sir Jackie,

Having just read the ‘news release’ of 13th August 2002, I felt compelled to write to you in person.

The news release talks about feedback from spectators at this years British Grand Prix and their comments regarding the much improved facilities at Silverstone. I would like to discuss the slightly wider topic of facilities for marshals; not only at the British Grand Prix, but also at other Octagon owned circuits.

As I am sure you are already aware, many marshals were extremely unhappy at the facilities provided at this years British Grand Prix. Roughly 550 marshals shared 12 shower cubicles, six male and six female, many of which had only cold water! The campsite was on a sloping field, which made it extremely difficult for many to pitch their tents or caravans in order to gain a good nights sleep. Of course, that would have been after we had to clear the sheep’s excrement from the ground before pitching tents/caravans. Whilst I appreciate the officials camp site was not the permanent home due to the continuing works being carried out at Silverstone, it was non the less below the standards most people would consider appropriate for people who are officiating at the countries premier motor racing event.

Taking marshals facilities in their wider context. Other circuits in the UK do not have as good facilities as Silverstone. At least there the Observer has a hut in which he/she can write in the dry and hold a telephone conversation with the door closed. At other circuits such facilities are rare. At many circuits there are not even the most basic of facilities like places to keep our bags dry on those all too often occasions it rains. Walkways between the armco barriers and the debris fence either riddled with rabbit holes, pot holes or just plain mud are all too common. Basic equipment such as brooms and rakes are often in short supply resulting in longer periods of time taken to ‘clear up’ after accidents.

Many of these problems are making it increasingly difficult to recruit new marshals to the sport. Along with other marshals I have been quite active in trying to entice (if that’s the right word) people to join the marshalling fraternity. However, they are easily put off by the poor conditions under which they are expected to work, the cost of equipment such as overalls and fireproof underwear etc, and the long days spent in adverse weather conditions with little or no means of shelter.

You might be asking yourself why I am writing to you?

Well, I have been an avid fan of motorsport since the mid 60’s, a marshal for some 15 years and someone who remembers your tireless efforts to improve the safety levels within motor racing. I even had the privilege of meeting you in person some years ago at Brands Hatch when Paul was running the F3 team, and you walked over to a group of three or four of us marshals in the pit lane and joined in our conversation. We all have the greatest of respect for your achievements both on and off the track and I for one feel you may be the only person with enough ‘pull’ to be able to make a real difference to the lot of the marshal.

We don’t ask or expect a great deal; just to be treated with respect and our efforts rewarded with decent facilities. We do not ask for payment or gifts, we do this because we all love motorsport, but our numbers are dwindling rapidly and there seems little else we can do other than to approach someone of your standing in the industry.

Given your close links to Octagon, the MSA and other circuit owners I am hopeful that you may be able to find the time to fight our corner. It seems that clubs such as the BMMC have little sway in this matter and are constantly being ‘fobbed off’ with excuse after excuse. In the meantime our numbers continue to fall and I can see a time when there will not be enough marshals to adequately man certain meetings. Non of us wish that to happen, but things need to be changed quickly in order to avoid this occurrence.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Green
Observer
BRDC, BRSCC, BARC, BMMC.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 12:27 (Ref:369041)   #2
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen
Your letter has my full support. Unfortunately as you point out those association whom we hoped would 'fight our corner' are either unwilling or unable to do so. Alternatively,perhaps, they are held in such low esteem by the organisers/circuit management, that they feel they can be ignored. Volunteers or not we have a right to be trated with a moderate level of decency.
Tony
Old 30 Aug 2002, 12:27 (Ref:369042)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As I have no internet at home at the moment, I probably wont be able to answer any questions raised here after 4.00pm today, until 08.00 Monday. Of course I could visit the wrinklies over the weekend and use their PC???
Old 30 Aug 2002, 12:28 (Ref:369043)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks for your support Tony.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 12:59 (Ref:369093)   #5
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Steve,

Again, agree 100% with the sentiments expressed in the letter. Let's hope some good does prevail from it.

Steve T
BARC/BMMC/GMC/KMA(SA)/FMA(SA) .................! :-))
Old 30 Aug 2002, 13:13 (Ref:369111)   #6
Tony_J
Racer

Stephen, on another thread I raised the issue of committment by marshaling organisations. With the exception of the BMMC, the clubs you list, and most others, were established to support the needs of competitors. Being cynical I could suggest that the marshal sections were only added to ensure sufficient cover for the club's race meetings. Having been a member of many [in the past, but no longer], I dont remember any of them making an effort to improve the marshals lot. Facilities/benefits etc etc seemed to be competitor orientated. Even the BRDC Marshals Club has sunk into oblivion with the BRDC relinquishing management of Silverstone to Octagon. I don't remember them making much of a fuss over the marshals camping arrangements at Silverstone etc.
Club members who are primarily marshals are in a rather awkward position. If the race meetings held by their club over-run and lunch breaks are cancelled etc, do they complain and refuse to marshal other meetings, or do they grin and bear it?
Old 30 Aug 2002, 13:31 (Ref:369125)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I take your point Tony but all the clubs profess to 'back' their marshals but in reality do little or nothing. The BMMC do at least make an effort but do not appear to have the 'balls' or clout to get anywhere. Year after year we hear of meetings after the GP or representations to the MSA etc and yet nothing changes, nothing gets done and the conditions we work under stay the same at best.

I am not suggesting my letter will make an ounce of difference, but if it gets someone of Sir Jackies magnitude on our side then it's achieved something.

Once again thanks to you and the others for your backing.

Anyone else fancy sending a letter to Les Delono, CEO, Octagon Worldwide?
Old 30 Aug 2002, 14:03 (Ref:369153)   #8
Tony_J
Racer

I don't doubt or denigrate the efforts made by the BMMC officers on our behalf. Like the rank and file members our senior officers are volunteers and have to give up even more of their time than we do to try and improve matters. Unfortunately despite their best efforts the safety and comfort of marshals falls ever faster behind that of competitors and spectators. From experience I can't say the same for the motor clubs whose primary interests lie elswhere. In this day and age there should be no question about providing good facilities for marshals particularly when considering the £M spent elsewhere within the sport. When BE can declare that despite all the money spent on improving Silverstone it was like a village fete or some such thing then something is seriously wrong in our sport.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 14:06 (Ref:369155)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Then we speak with the same voice my friend
Old 30 Aug 2002, 14:10 (Ref:369158)   #10
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting read Mr Green, and although I cannot personally relate to much of the experience you outline, you have my full support.

As you know i've not been marshalling that long and I was quite surprised when weekend after weekend this year I would hear generally negative comments from more senior marshals reguarding treatment of the 'proban-heroes' at events, and more specifically at the GP.

In the past week alone I have heard complaints and groans about F1, CART, Donnington and TOCA to name but a few.

Perhaps I'm lucky in that i've not had a day on the bank that I haven't enjoyed (although there was that one incident at the Ferrari Festival; which can be read about elsewhere on this board).

When I started marshalling I was not particually interested in the club events and instead had my eyes set on F3, TOCA and the GP. Now, I have to say, I really look forward to the club meets and will not be rushing to marshal a GP yet (although I might try and pinch a spare ticket out of someone next year ).

Bring on the FFords, Caterams and Mini's!
Old 30 Aug 2002, 15:14 (Ref:369193)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well said, Mr Green.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 19:26 (Ref:369400)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stephen. As a racer (part time semi retired etc.) I support your cause. Well done and I hope it works.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 22:20 (Ref:369515)   #13
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good luck - hope you marshals get what you deserve, which is a whole lot more than you do at the moment.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 06:56 (Ref:371002)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks for your support everyone. I will post any reply when received.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 17:23 (Ref:372260)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Devil's Advocate

Recently, this whole subject has bothered me somewhat. Some very experienced marshals that I respect a lot, had a word in my ear after I got very vocal over some issues.

I have given the matter a lot of thought since then. The following is not intended to offend. Neither is it my intention to deride the fact that at many venues we are very badly treated. The intention is to play devil's advocate. To question why we are making little progress despite our efforts. To try and figure out why few people are acting on our requests. To figure out what the other sides of the arguments are and how might that influence our approach and negotiate more effectively.

At work, I recently had my annual 'Employee Appraisal'. Like many companies, mine is getting very twitchy about investing in training because often employees get overqualified for their own job and want a job that use all their skills. Eventually, the employee leaves for another firm, with the first companies investmant in training eventually lost. So one of the questions on the appraisal is aimed at getting the employee to fully use their own access to training. The question is "What is the employee doing to help themselves"? It suddenly dawned upon me that many more of the problems marshals face could to some degree be solved by the marshals themselves. This made me wonder about the whole issue of self help. Take, for instance, marshals huts? We all want them, we all moan about them. How many of us have actually offered any of our time to put one up if the materials were available? Are we being just a little naieve to expect them to appear from nowhere? In any capitol project, no matter how big or small, it is the labour element that will often make or break the project. If we really need these huts so bad, why do we never offer to put the things up?

Wether we like it or not, most of the organising clubs are no longer clubs any more, they are businesses. That means that we are involved in a business negotiation. Our moral argument is clear, however our 'business case' is quite weak when seen from the perspective of a business. If we took apart all the requests we make of the circuits and venues, and made sure that we had put in place readily available self help before banging our fists on the table there would be two nett positive effects.
1. The costs to the organising clubs would be lower, increasing their likelyhood of agreeing.
2. We would be presenting ourselves in a much more positive light and more likely to finally get the respect that we know we've earned.

This is probably not going to be a popular view, but I think it is one that we all should at least consider.

I mean neither to imply that the above is true in all situations or to cause any offence, but please mull it over.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 19:08 (Ref:372344)   #16
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can fully understand your thoughts regarding this issue.
I think that circuit owners would be ****in* in their pants at the thought of marshals errecting huts, because they couldnt`stop laughing.Yeah, sure they would love to see us doing their work, whilst we are at it, shall we give James Thompson a ring, cos the circuit needs repairing !!!
The powers that be will never ever in my life time that is, give us what we want.
We are not important to them from a financial point of view.
I get fed up listening to people moaning, why waste your time thinking about it ?
If you dont` like it , dont` do it... simple as that.
Problem is, you are like me, do it for the love of it. And hey, the powers that be know it too....

As for Greeny writing to the Lord of British Motorsport, bow several times, and several times more, much respect ....
I told him last year to write to JS, but he wrote to Mr Bain instead, cant` even remember the out-come, so Stephen, do you really think he will help the likes of you and me to stay dry along with our bags ?
I wont` be holding my breath, i dont` think many will...
Old 3 Sep 2002, 20:27 (Ref:372445)   #17
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope your letter made it (even if it was via Hants)
Old 4 Sep 2002, 08:07 (Ref:372801)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Some interesting points made here.

With regard to helping to erect huts etc, a fine idea but one I suspect would not get off the starting blocks given the insurance issues within the workplace and Octagons fears of being sued for injuries. A sad state of the country today I admit. Never the less, it could well be worth following up to get their reactions to such a suggestion.

Regarding the letter to Rob Bain, I did indeed write to which Rob replied. It seems there was a working group set up after the GP last year and the BMMC or marshals were invited to nominate a representative to sit on the committee. I passed this information to the BMMC but have never heard any more on the matter. A little birdie told me that there was no marshals representation at the committee meetings though at a later date.

It's very easy for people like me to sit here and criticise but far harder to find people who have the time to allow them to attend meetings which are normally held during the working day. Once again there is no easy solution to this problem. It really requires someone who has time to devote to the matter during the normal working week, something most of us cannot do! By definition the job would suit a housewife who is at home with a family but seaking some part time work (almost certainly unpaid), a retired person or, someone who is currently out of work and who would be prepared to devote some time while still seaking employment. The other alternative would be that the organising clubs, MSA, circuit owners and the BMMC all contributed to pay someone to do the job. Once again a highly unlikely scenario.

So, we continue as we have for many years, moaning both in public and in private but on the whole unable to do much about our plight. Of course we could be like the firemen and take industrial action, but in reality how many of us would stay away if asked to do so? We are afterall volunteers, and as such fall way down the pecking order in the list of a circuits priorities. It would be nice to think that clubs such as the BRSCC, BARC, BRDC etc did a little more for their marshals. Let's see what Sir Jackie has to say.
Old 4 Sep 2002, 08:36 (Ref:372813)   #19
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little story I heard earlier this year might add to the debate.

It relates to the provision of 'marshals huts' at a circuit owned by Octagon - though at the time of the story it was in the pre-Octagon days.

The circuit managment was approached by a company who were offering to supply and erect a full set of observers boxes at the circuit. These where to be 'Spa style' enclosed wooden observers boxes with full wrap-round glazing and storage space for marshals bags etc.

The company was willing to supply and erect these boxes for free - all they where asking was the rights to advertise the company name on the boxes.

Circuit/Group management (no prizes for guessing who she might be) where willing to agree but with the proviso that the company paid them £1000 per box per year for the advertising rights.

Exit one company stage left...
Old 4 Sep 2002, 08:42 (Ref:372821)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Makes you sick doesn't it!

I'm all for suggesting Octagon staff spend a wet winters day on post and try to keep their equipment clean and dry. Maybe something will happen then?
Old 4 Sep 2002, 16:52 (Ref:373129)   #21
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Flagman
Circuit/Group management (no prizes for guessing who she might be) where willing to agree but with the proviso that the company paid them £1000 per box per year for the advertising rights.

Exit one company stage left...
Actually, when you here stuff like that, it does make you want to stuff the amicable approach and get the red hot pokers out!
Old 4 Sep 2002, 18:06 (Ref:373174)   #22
Tony_J
Racer

A number of years ago a stalwart bunch of marshals at Oulton Park assisted with some repairs and improvements to the banking. Despite their efforts I dont think they got any thanks from the then circuit owners [MS Foulston] surprise, surprise. That said the circuit staff [those that actually get their hands dirty rather than those who ponce around 'organising things'] have done a lot of work beneficial to the safety of marshals over the last few years
Old 5 Sep 2002, 14:48 (Ref:373803)   #23
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago I wrote and complained to the MSA about marshal safety and the fact that in some cases we are seen as a necessary evil. The reply I ot back was we are needed and that the MSA work extremly hard with marshal clubs. Wheather this is true I don't know.All I do know was to get some improvements at Oulton it took another marshal to complain with a petition stating that these were his views & not of the BMMC. Unfortunatly now since Octagon took over BHL I have not seen as much continuation of the hard work that was started.
Good luck Stephen you never know JYS might do something.
Old 5 Sep 2002, 16:20 (Ref:373863)   #24
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by andrew_powell98
Good luck Stephen you never know JYS might do something.
Hey... And even if he doesn't you might still get sent a fetching pair of 'complimentary' tartan trousers, with the JYS anti-corrsion guarentee!
Old 6 Sep 2002, 07:21 (Ref:374243)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
You will all be glad to know that I have received a reply from Sir Jackie this morning which I will attempt to scan at work and post later today. I can tell you that he has copied my letter and his reply to:

John Grant, Chairman, MSA
Colin Hilton, Chief Executive, MSA
Murray Smith, Vice Chairman, Octagon Worldwide
Michael Browning, Interim MD, Octagon Motor Sports
Alex Hooton, Chief Executive, BRDC
Stuart Higgs, Director of Racing, BRDC

Nota bad start huh and a huge thanks to Sir Jackie for his efforts so far. Letter to follow shortly...