Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 15 Aug 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3665747)   #1
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Alfa GTV accident at Brands, 14/8/16

Some of you may have been at the Festival Italia at Brands yesterday - apparently a well-received event. I wasn't there, but was somewhat horrified at the pictures in the Times (and I believe the Telegraph) today, showing Andrew Bourke's GTV rolling itself into oblivion - not just because I hate to see an Alfa wrecked, but because Andrew's head can clearly be seen poking out of the window opening . I know a GTV is fairly compact inside, but surely if fully belted-in (and with HANS) this sort of thing shouldn't be possible?

Thankfully Andrew is apparently OK, if somewhat shaken and "whip-lashed", but it worried me.......
Old 15 Aug 2016, 19:48 (Ref:3665804)   #2
the youth
Racer

the youth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just seen the pics, I can only assume the harness wasn't tight or the straps have fell off the hans and become slack, Mine have done this a couple of times as I was tightening them in the assembly area, once tightened properly they were fine but if slack then can fall off, specially the normal 3" straps that don't fit the hans very well

Steve
Old 15 Aug 2016, 21:39 (Ref:3665821)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lots of possibilities. A fairly violent looking incident, so any looseness in the belts might be a problem, or movement in the seat, perhaps? I'm sure it will be checked carefully.

I do wonder why NASCAR style window nets seem to have gone out of fashion.
Old 15 Aug 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3665826)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remembering that seat belts (no matter how tightly worn) are designed to "extend" under heavy Gs...and once they do this, an official/someone should cut them/discard them...so they will be replaced.

Just for interest sake, is that covered in the Blue Book?
Old 16 Aug 2016, 05:41 (Ref:3665877)   #5
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A "winged seat" would have helped prevent this. Glad I have one in my 944
Old 16 Aug 2016, 06:29 (Ref:3665888)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a photo in the latest Scrutineers' Bulletin of a seat that stretched over 20cm in a crash. Hit the roll cage and went back into position, to all intents and purposes perfectly OK and securely mounted.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 16 Aug 2016, 17:35 (Ref:3665986)   #7
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
arent window nets mandatory in most series
Old 16 Aug 2016, 23:16 (Ref:3666040)   #8
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
arent window nets mandatory in most series
Nope.......
Old 19 Aug 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3666526)   #9
88racing
Rookie

United Kingdom
nr Milton Keynes, UK
88racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did read a comment on FB that the seat broke loose.

We were annoyed that we had to fit nets to compete in the Silverstone 24 this year but when you see these photos, the penny drops!
Old 19 Aug 2016, 11:44 (Ref:3666529)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I read the same comment regarding the seat breaking loose. Horrendous. Lucky chap in the end.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3666639)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88racing View Post
I did read a comment on FB that the seat broke loose.
Informed comment, or guesswork? That said, it does look that way.