Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 May 2004, 21:18 (Ref:959782)   #1
Hooper
Rookie

Hooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some fears for the 2005 regulation!!

I have listened on the french tv (eurosport) that the aco was debating about the increase pace of this year cars.......... I'm also fearing the keeping of the 2003 restrictor size for 2005 wich would be a terrible bad new for us and all the public . It is said that some fctories could break the 3 min 27s bareer whith closed car if nothing is changed. Your opinions??
Old 3 May 2004, 21:28 (Ref:959797)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget the R8 etc. are not the new 2004 reg cars.

The ACO reserved the right to limit the performace of the 'old' generation of cars if their pace was very quick.

A full factory 2004 reg car may be able to match the R8s time of 3.32 in 2005 but I doubt it would be much quicker.

As for restrictor size, engine development always gradually gains back the lost power same goes for changes to the wings etc.
Old 3 May 2004, 21:52 (Ref:959807)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the ACO needs to let these current regs ride for a couple of years...

But they did say that if the 2003 specs cars were faster, that the ACO reserved the right to make changes for cars that were still 2003 specs cars as such...

One specific change mentioned was to increase their weight to 950 kg. if I remember correctly...but I haven't read the specs since they came out back in the winter....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 May 2004, 22:09 (Ref:959819)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have no doubt the new 2004 regs will be around for a good few years, virtually unchanged.

The only change is maybe to keep the 2003 restrictor size.

After all, the ACO believed that the smaller wing, fuel tank etc. of the 2003 cars would mean that an equivalent 2004 reg car would have a performance advantage.

If the R8 could do a 3,32 a Audi R10 LMP1 would be below 3,30 if you beleived the ACO. So maybe keeping the smaller 2003 restrictor for the new cars is no bad thing seeing as the cars will be quicker each year they race.

While talking about restrictors its worth mentioning that very few cars are actually putting out the horsepower they potentially could, even with a 2003 restrictor. Just look at the strides Lister have made with their Chevy engine in the last 12 months.

Last edited by JAG; 3 May 2004 at 22:12.
Old 3 May 2004, 23:10 (Ref:959878)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think they need to worry when they get to 3m25 but not before

They're just far, far, far too slow IMO.
Old 3 May 2004, 23:43 (Ref:959897)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
i think they need to worry when they get to 3m25 but not before

Well there as quick as any Group C car (other than the 905EVO and TS010) but I agree about 3.25 being the cut off point, not 3,30.
Old 4 May 2004, 04:09 (Ref:959983)   #7
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
---" It is said that some fctories could break the 3 min 27s bareer whith closed car if nothing is changed. Your opinions??"---

What is sad???
It is called racing and the point is to make the cars faster every year.
Of course you could call the France boys and just adopt their rules.
The "ACO Slowmobile Champioship", and then they could require all spectators to wear helmets to protect them from themselves.
Time is ripe for a movie about road racing by Monty Python. Too bad they are all too old to take advantage of this ridiculous mindset that has taken over.
Bob
Old 4 May 2004, 04:41 (Ref:959989)   #8
Hooper
Rookie

For theACO, 3 min 29 represents the limit..... This is why i worry a lot....
Old 4 May 2004, 05:09 (Ref:959993)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Did you see them recently on the track ? I mean, close from the cars ? Believe me, they're fast, and impressively fast !
Old 4 May 2004, 13:13 (Ref:960403)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's unlikely that there will be any reg changes for 2005 beyond what Tim noted about the grandfathered cars. Remember, the new bottom should greatly reduced available downforce on the new cars, and the regs are primarily about making new cars an attractive proposition - which means greater restrictions on old cars. I'd expect a new-spec car to win the race next year, and probably make up 1/2 the LMP1 field.

Besides, whatever happens, the old cars won't be legal in 2006 no matter what. Only by becoming hybrids (ie all new bodywork) will they be accepted for 2006.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 May 2004, 17:03 (Ref:960599)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
I'm pretty sure the ACO were talking about the 2003 spec cars.

The new reg cars will soon get down to the 3.29 limit but not in the next year or two.

At least F1 is now being slowed dramatically in 2006, not just sportscars, IRL etc.

Last edited by JAG; 4 May 2004 at 17:07.
Old 4 May 2004, 17:09 (Ref:960601)   #12
Hooper
Rookie

The new reg car will maybe get down the 3.29 limit earlier in closed configuration. Whith a roof, these cars won't be penalized by the twin hoop (or rol hoop, i don't know) giving a 15% extra drag.
Old 4 May 2004, 17:17 (Ref:960606)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Hooper
The new reg car will maybe get down the 3.29 limit earlier in closed configuration. Whith a roof, these cars won't be penalized by the twin hoop (or rol hoop, i don't know) giving a 15% extra drag.
the double roll hoop is a safety mod, not to create the 15% drag. The drag is created by other areas of the car, on both open and closed cars.
Old 4 May 2004, 19:29 (Ref:960761)   #14
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Did you see them recently on the track ? I mean, close from the cars ? Believe me, they're fast, and impressively fast !
I can confirm this
those Audis are incredibly fast, and seeing them, you can easily see they're faster than the others (especially in the esses)
just be late and you'll miss them
the domes are quite fast too, but mainly in the straights
do they need to be faster? not sure - what would it bring ? (I mean, except for the drivers)
the main problem is that the others are (far) slower