Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 26 Jan 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1826726)   #1
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colleges

Hi

Does anybody know of any motorsport colleges in the south west of England? I am based in Swindon, Wiltshire. I know about Lackham College I was wondering if anybody knew of any others.

Thanks
James
Old 26 Jan 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1826821)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would you want another - Lackham is certainly one of the best I've ever seen. Depending how keen/rich you are you could try Brooklands in Surrey or head to Wales - but nowt more local. I urge you to go to Lackham
Old 26 Jan 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1826862)   #3
Jamesd
Racer

Yes I have a interview for wednesday, but what am i suppose to do if i dont get in, I could do with a back up plan
Old 27 Jan 2007, 01:35 (Ref:1826942)   #4
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Really depends on your background.

Do you have a degree? Some racing teams like aeronautical or mechanical engineering degrees then maybe a masters in Motorsport Engineering.

I was on the Cranfield Uni Motorsport Engineering and Management masters course, it was great if you wanted to be a race engineer or work for one of the suppliers to the race teams.

I am a designer with an artistic background with lots of club racing experience and I did study aerodynamics at undergraduate level but the engineering on the Cranfield course was hardcore and I dropped out 6 months into the course.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1826996)   #5
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

I am just finishing my GCSE's at school.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 20:57 (Ref:1827398)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went to secondary school in Malmesbury - you might know it - bout half an hour from Lackham. I know a lot of guys who went to Lackham, (I nearly did myself before deciding wasn't right for me, but wanted to stay on in education but not sixth form!) and no-one I knew had problems getting in.

If you're keen and willing to learn etc, hope they'll accept you - post an update and in the meantime best of luck for the interview on Weds!
Old 29 Jan 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1828929)   #7
toni aztarain
Rookie

toni aztarain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is the best

I'm finishing my degree in Mechanical Engineering and I want to know which is the best Master in Motorsport Engineering? I'm thinking in Cranfield but I don't know clearly. Thanks
Old 29 Jan 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1829023)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cranfield is certainly very good and well thought of in the industry, however the new facilities in Oxford Brookes should be the best in the world - however I have not yet seen them so couldn't say for sure. It may be worth looking across the atlantic
Old 31 Jan 2007, 00:13 (Ref:1829814)   #9
Monstrobolaxa
Rookie

Monstrobolaxa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In talks with Dino Toso (head of aero at Renault F1) and with Adrian Newey both of them sugested that a Msc in Race Car Aerodynamics in Southampton would be better then the Racecar Management & Engineering Msc at Cranfield. Both of them mentioned that Southampton is highly regarded in F1....and Cranfield isn't that much!

Though the Msc at Cranfield is sponsored by some F1 teams....

But I suspect that by what the said that F1 is seeking more and more specialized people in determined areas....aero, prop, structures....and don't want people with general motorsport engineering msc...like the one at Cranfield.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1830412)   #10
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

just got back from my interview at lackham and i have been acepted for the higher course if i get the grades i am well excited.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1830442)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done James!
Old 31 Jan 2007, 19:58 (Ref:1830532)   #12
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstrobolaxa
In talks with Dino Toso (head of aero at Renault F1) and with Adrian Newey both of them sugested that a Msc in Race Car Aerodynamics in Southampton would be better then the Racecar Management & Engineering Msc at Cranfield. Both of them mentioned that Southampton is highly regarded in F1....and Cranfield isn't that much!

Though the Msc at Cranfield is sponsored by some F1 teams....

But I suspect that by what the said that F1 is seeking more and more specialized people in determined areas....aero, prop, structures....and don't want people with general motorsport engineering msc...like the one at Cranfield.
Grr! Someone could have said that to me before I wasted £3100 on going to Cranfield! I would have loved to have gone to Southampton to study aerodynamics!
Old 31 Jan 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1830576)   #13
toni aztarain
Rookie

toni aztarain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any one in engine development.

is any Msc in engine development or something like that?? I know that aero are the most important part in a race car, specially in F1 but the tech involved in a engine are amazing!!
Old 31 Jan 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1830611)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
thats a bit of a tougher one - what about a good mechanical engineering masters with work experience on relevant engines. Imperial College perhaps?
Old 31 Jan 2007, 23:14 (Ref:1830682)   #15
PeterGrant
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford/East Sussex
PeterGrant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toni, Brookes do an MSc in Race Engine Design, I don't know how good it is, although a few of the people in our FS team are on it.

http://brookes.ac.uk/studying/course...duate/2007/red

ss_collins, if I remember, I will take some photos tomorrow of the new building, and post them up.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 12:44 (Ref:1833175)   #16
mad4mins
Rookie

England
Coventry
mad4mins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
james have you tried basingstoke coll of tech?? i went there its pretty good! , but it might be a bit far from you..
Old 6 Feb 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1834871)   #17
TomDawson
Rookie

Scotland
Oxford
TomDawson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping to start a Motorsport Engineering course in September, assuming I can get a couple of B's this year, but I'm not sure where yet, I've applied to Oxford Brookes, University of Lancashire, Bristol, Swansea and Coventry. I've heard great things about all of them, if anyone has any comments that might help tip the balance I'd be glad to hear them, is anyone on the forum from any of the universities I've mentioned?
Old 6 Feb 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1834885)   #18
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

You should try lackham college and i am hopfully going in September, it is the one of the best colleges for motosport as you actually get to work on real racing cars all the time.

James
Old 6 Feb 2007, 19:27 (Ref:1834890)   #19
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDawson
I'm hoping to start a Motorsport Engineering course in September, assuming I can get a couple of B's this year, but I'm not sure where yet, I've applied to Oxford Brookes, University of Lancashire, Bristol, Swansea and Coventry. I've heard great things about all of them, if anyone has any comments that might help tip the balance I'd be glad to hear them, is anyone on the forum from any of the universities I've mentioned?
Coventry? Hmmm! Really, the only times I had contact with them they seemed to be very self-centred even though they asked for our help.

We were meant to work with them to improve their packaging and aero package on their Formula Student car. We suggested things and they told us where to go, even though we had proved our findings in the windtunnel rather than guesstimation. They came up with "you are meant to style the car, not to tell us what to do." Even our aero tutor and our engineering tutor were taking the **** out if them, coz they wouldn't listen.
Old 9 May 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2197414)   #20
rranjith_kum
Rookie

India
rranjith_kum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I am infusing life into this thread very lately.
I got offer for my MSc Aerodynamics for sept 2008 intake. Looking for terrifc exposure ...
Old 10 May 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2198497)   #21
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ah, the fun of MSc's to try and help get into motorsport.

Personally, next September I start a slight variant on all of the above: An MSc in Computational Fluid Dynamics (officially Computational Science) at Warwick.

Hopefully that will help me get into F1
Old 10 May 2008, 22:47 (Ref:2198512)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Do you rally want to work in F1? where it is so restrictive
Old 20 May 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2207337)   #23
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Do you rally want to work in F1? where it is so restrictive
As opposed to any other form of motorsport?

Ben
Old 21 May 2008, 05:25 (Ref:2207964)   #24
Maurotoro
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cranfield
Maurotoro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cranfield

I'm applying to the Msc in Motorsports Engineering and Mechanics in cranfield to start 2009, can anyone help me with what information in the application form is important to them?