Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 21 Mar 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2157925)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Season 4

Besides a Mugello, Italy round being likely, does anyone know anything about other calender changes or new franchises? I suspect there is a lot happening in the background but I guess not a lot will get announced until after this season.

Personally I'd love to see a race in India, and I have previously read comments that Durban might be gone. Hopefully South Africa would stay on the calender at Kyalami or somewhere else.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2158108)   #2
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derrick Walker's been taking an active interest in running a franchise since ChampCar went belly up... http://www.walkerracing.com/media/di...id=427&lang=en
Old 21 Mar 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2158115)   #3
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Big rumours in S/Africa is that event will move to Kyalami or a street circuit in Soweto which is supposed to host its first race in November, but I cant see that happening.

Kyalami will need a big upgrade to pass FIA inspection.

......... that, of course, is if SA hosts a race at all. I hear 18 countries want one and there ain't much money here for anything unless you mention soccer, 2010, World Cup etc.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2158135)   #4
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychard
Kyalami will need a big upgrade to pass FIA inspection.
The FIA doesn't have any jurisdiction over A1 does it?
Old 21 Mar 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2158173)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bulldog
The FIA doesn't have any jurisdiction over A1 does it?
FIA has jurisdiction over all world motorsport (subject to a few exceptions), not just those official championships (F1, WRC).
Any appeals will end up at the World Motorsport Council; and all tracks have to have the appropriate FIA licence. Brands Hatch had to upgrade in time for the first round; and at street races you normally see Charlie Whiting's name mentioned as the person approving the licence the day before the event.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2158202)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Derrick Walker is thinking of taking over the US franchise (which currently does not seem to be getting anywhere) or offering engineering support along the likes of SuperNova etc.

It will be a shame if Durban goes, it has been a kind of iconic event for A1GP in the first three seasons.

I'd love to know what the 18 countries are that want a race, and how many really have serious promoters and finance lined up...
Old 21 Mar 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2158323)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
and at street races you normally see Charlie Whiting's name mentioned as the person approving the licence the day before the event.
That means he and the FIA approved the disaster that was Beijing... deary me.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2158371)   #8
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
FIA has jurisdiction over all world motorsport (subject to a few exceptions), not just those official championships (F1, WRC).
Any appeals will end up at the World Motorsport Council; and all tracks have to have the appropriate FIA licence. Brands Hatch had to upgrade in time for the first round; and at street races you normally see Charlie Whiting's name mentioned as the person approving the licence the day before the event.
Thanks Asp - I didn't know that
Old 22 Mar 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2159046)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
That means he and the FIA approved the disaster that was Beijing... deary me.
I believe that the FIA approved the plans, but it was on arrival that Whiting and co discovered that the circuit hadn't been built to that plan. Namely the hairpin area was built narrower than the plans indicated.
The first attempts to run on the circuit as built was political face saving and glad-handing by A1GP and the Chinese authorities.

The modification was done to Whiting's on-site specifications, namely making best of a bad lot to allow the event to take place in some form.
Old 24 Mar 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2160063)   #10
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP has fill the void at Mexico City, left by the Champcar demise ...that's for sure...last weekend event was succesfull and even when there was give-aways and discounts on tickets selling dou to problem with tickets sale, people accept the series very well for 2dn year at the autodromo...lot's of new people to racing that get pleased with A1GP as their first racing experience

Mexico City goverment pleased with last weekend results, through the city tourism ministry is taking over the promoting/organization of Mexico City race along with A1GP Mexico for next seasons...so i guess Mexico will be again on calendar...

Last edited by Net-Ranger; 24 Mar 2008 at 05:49.
Old 24 Mar 2008, 06:01 (Ref:2160069)   #11
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
That's great to hear Net-Ranger. I was pleasantly surprised to see what a large crowd appeared to be there. I guess we will continue to see the Mexico tourism branding on the Mexico car as well then (they just need Salvador Duran back...). The surroundings don't look great on TV though, not sure how much tourism the event will actually generate.
Old 24 Mar 2008, 06:34 (Ref:2160077)   #12
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will there be a race in Australia in season 4? If so, will it be at Eastern Creek?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 25 Mar 2008, 03:35 (Ref:2160823)   #13
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i believe china will have 3 races next year as the series is moving to asia
Old 25 Mar 2008, 06:23 (Ref:2160851)   #14
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Err...no it isn't. It is marketed as the World Cup of Motorsport and that is not about to change. The commercial dept is still going to be centered in London (where the series' marketing agency team working on A1GP is also going to be based), and in addition to a commercial direction for Asia Pacific they have also just announced appointments for a) Middle East and Africa and b) Europe.

Besides, in addition to Zhuhai and Shanghai where else would they hold a race in China?

P.S. Last I heard the intention is to continue at Eastern Creek, I could be wrong though.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2160944)   #15
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Besides, in addition to Zhuhai and Shanghai where else would they hold a race in China?
Beijing streets again? Handbrake turns ahoy!
Old 25 Mar 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2161048)   #16
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as i do like Taupo one has to ask the question when Hampton Downs opens will we see the NZ race migrate north where I am sure there will be more bums on seats. Just my opinion BTW
Old 25 Mar 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2161585)   #17
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumor has it the series is going to go to the Sachsenring in Germany aswell. Nothing confirmed yet though.

At this moment, Eastern Creek is the only grade 2 homologised track in Australia, so it's likely A1GP will continue to visit there.

Durban would be a terrible loss indeed. It's allways one of the better races of the season. I hope they can keep it up there.

And I personally would love to see Sentul back on the calendar.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 04:38 (Ref:2161750)   #18
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
As much as i do like Taupo one has to ask the question when Hampton Downs opens will we see the NZ race migrate north where I am sure there will be more bums on seats. Just my opinion BTW
Personally I am not a great fan of the Taupo circuit so I hope so.

I was disapointed that Sentul was lost, however after turning their backs on A1GP and then running an absolutely farcical GP2 Asia event, would we want it back? GP2 Asia said they are not returning unless significant improvements to the circuit management and track itself are made...

It is a shame that the fleeting idea of A1GP taking over Surfers Paridise was only fleeting...

I have heard a rumour of a Germany round as well, however Willi Weber has been rather critical of A1GP of late regarding Hammermuller's penalties. Besides Team Germany has not found any sponsors so one must wonder whether such a round would be a commercial success. There are therefore a couple of questions: who else would the promoter be, and would Brands + Brno + Zandvoort + Mugello + S'ring be a European round too many?
Old 26 Mar 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2162142)   #19
jackaroo
Rookie

jackaroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either Adelaide or Surfers Pardise Street circuits would be great. Adelaide could be better timed if they were able to run consecutive weeks, ie Clipsal then A1GP or vice versa. They get 300,000 through the gates at Clipsal 500(V8's) so its a great event which could be made even better.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2162349)   #20
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rumours of a round in Ireland, possibly on an airfield circuit just outside Dublin.

Strong rumours that Ten-Tenths will launch national A1GP Fan Club sites where fans can contribute in their own language........
Old 26 Mar 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2162462)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll happily contribute to the A1 Team Nigeria page... could be pretty easy if I'm sat where I hope to be!

Realistically I doubt we will see anything until A2 kicks off..
Old 27 Mar 2008, 04:02 (Ref:2162689)   #22
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Strong rumours that Ten-Tenths will launch national A1GP Fan Club sites where fans can contribute in their own language........
So there will be a site specifically in Australian for example.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2162743)   #23
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Strine mate.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2162756)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
g'day, yes, and it will feature more phrases like "strooth!" and will have extra sweary words!
Old 27 Mar 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2163274)   #25
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have heard a rumour of a Germany round as well, however Willi Weber has been rather critical of A1GP of late regarding Hammermuller's penalties. Besides Team Germany has not found any sponsors so one must wonder whether such a round would be a commercial success.
Since Durban, Würth and Voith sponsor team Germany.. albeit in a small amount.

But hey, team Netherlands started with Remeha decals at roughly the same space... who knows what the car will look like in a year
http://photos.a1gp.com/thumbnails/20...OHVU68_600.jpg