Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 15 Mar 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3718752)   #1
kerb
Rookie

Australia
canberra
kerb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
educational?

hello all

I when through my first thread (if you are wondering about it, DONT) and I broke so many rule of thumbs, mostly about pit outs and length and expectation vs reality in the case of numeral uno. and I saw other first tracks and some (not all) had similar rookie issues. so I made this thread so experienced users could teach rule of thumbs and tips about placements and definitions and stuff.

this is almost a written podcast

please don't submit circuits on this thread (do your own for that) but if you have a section example about a certain topic like pit out and kerb placement, put them up.
Old 15 Mar 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3718755)   #2
kerb
Rookie

Australia
canberra
and of course we are going to have different views on topics so it will be interesting to hear what everyone thinks about it

so first topic shall be the grid to turn 1 and if people feel it would be better longer or shorter
Old 15 Mar 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3718820)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is already an instructional based on Sketchup, pinned at the top of my track. Some of what's in there will carry over to free hand as well. But any particular questions ask away
Old 15 Mar 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3718823)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like straights where the previous and next corner are opposite. An example of this is Sepang. It requires vehicles to change sides, which causes interesting moves.

Also, I like not totally straight straights. Red Bull Ring's backstraight and Istanbul's kink are good examples.
Old 15 Mar 2017, 21:08 (Ref:3718892)   #5
kerb
Rookie

Australia
canberra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I like straights where the previous and next corner are opposite. An example of this is Sepang. It requires vehicles to change sides, which causes interesting moves.

Also, I like not totally straight straights. Red Bull Ring's backstraight and Istanbul's kink are good examples.
like Surfers Paradise's front straight?
Old 15 Mar 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3718901)   #6
kerb
Rookie

Australia
canberra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
There is already an instructional based on Sketchup, pinned at the top of my track. Some of what's in there will carry over to free hand as well. But any particular questions ask away
I know, and there are several other threads that have bits of this and bits of that, but what I was thinking was to put it all on one thread instead of having something on page 4 (t1 hairpins-AOB?)
Old 16 Mar 2017, 14:41 (Ref:3719065)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerb View Post
like Surfers Paradise's front straight?
That's not enough. I mean where cars go from one side to the other.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 22:55 (Ref:3719480)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ok some initial rules of thumb, they aren't set in stone and there are many circuits which contradict them.

1 Pit garages and race control combine = 300m
2 If pit exit is to be on pit straight then it has to be 100m before the T1 apex (I believe that's an FIA rule)
3 Pits on the inside of T1 makes easier design
4 Run offs and travel traps don't need to be as big as you first think, look at some real word circuits on google earth.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 04:22 (Ref:3719935)   #9
AoB Special Stage
Racer

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You think we could merge all these informational threads into one big one and pin it for later use, SBF? Or would that be way too much work for a mere mortal?

Last edited by AoB Special Stage; 19 Mar 2017 at 04:23. Reason: I know English, honest.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3719988)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
It could be done, but I think kerb had something more as a general rule of thumb thread, rather than a formal instructional.

Kerb?
Old 20 Mar 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3720101)   #11
kerb
Rookie

Australia
canberra
i intended it to be a rule of thumb thread, but it may be wise to have a full instructional in the top of the page
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3720309)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
So lets add some more things that you have discovered apply regularly to designs and one we are happy I'll lock this off, and someone can formalise it into a new thread that I'll sticky.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 07:42 (Ref:3720365)   #13
kerb
Rookie

Australia
canberra
there are several points from other threads should be brought up, these being:
difference between bike and car circuits (AOB)
t1 hairpins (also AOB)
FIA standards on length and run offs
notes on track design (purist) would be a nice tutorial.

there could be others that may be on further pages