Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 17 Mar 2000, 00:21 (Ref:10462)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not too sure about this one..

I was marshalling at a TVR Tuscan race in 1997 at Cadwell, they just sneak over the 2 litre mark...

However, that was the last time they were allowed to race (as a car got into the spectator area).

Can't believe rule is enforced, as cars such as Radicals (1.1 litre) seem quicker than most big old touring cars to me....
Old 17 Mar 2000, 00:25 (Ref:10463)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After thinking about it a little more!!!

Last year....

There were cars in the 750 MC kit car championship running with engines over the 3 litre mark (a 3.5 Rover maybe).

Old 17 Mar 2000, 09:09 (Ref:10460)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Apparently there is a capacity limit of 2 litres at Cadwell Park. I am not aware of this and if there were it would affect me and many other racers. Does anybody know if it is a limit applied to single seaters and sports cars? Any replies would assist with a query in the Trackside Forum.
Old 17 Mar 2000, 10:09 (Ref:10461)   #4
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2 litre rule has been in place for a good few years now.

It's there because Cadwell is not considered wide enough to accomodate larger cars and is really a m/cycle track. However this rule is pretty much ignored and certainly I've watched and been on the track at the same time as Rover V8's.

I don't recall whether it was an MSA track licencing rule or a self-imposed limit. What ever the reason I don't believe that in reality it causes any concerns.

See you on Saturday, first race of the season!
Old 17 Mar 2000, 21:04 (Ref:10464)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by apguy:

See you on Saturday, first race of the season!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Discovered a blown head gasket today!!!!!!! May just make three sloooooow practice laps before stripping down and rebuilding. Bugger. Another start from the back, its getting tedius.

Glad I found it today though, could have been worse eh?

Old 16 Apr 2000, 20:33 (Ref:10465)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just got back from Cadwell tonight. You will be able to read about my exploits on my Website next weekend. It was er. Exciting.

However. Tony Harman ran his FFord 1600 there today. Maybe we can encourage him to share his experience.
Old 18 Apr 2000, 10:15 (Ref:10466)   #7
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think you answered the 2 litre rule then Pete. Your car is, I believe at least 3 litres.
Old 20 Apr 2000, 19:41 (Ref:10467)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SNH:
Think you answered the 2 litre rule then Pete. Your car is, I believe at least 3 litres.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Steve. On the basis that I might wear it out and therefore need a rebore, we decided to sleeve it down to 1500cc so that it lasts longer

Old 21 Apr 2000, 08:10 (Ref:10468)   #9
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK Peter, I'd be happy to share my experiences - in fact if anyone wants them they're welcome to some of my "experiences" particularly the ones you get when entering the Gooseneck or Hall Bends all crossed up and 10mph too fast... yeeow-screech-woa shhhhii...-phew made it!
But what a great circuit, you've really got to attack it to get the best from it, I made all the classic errors - lifting too early, not smooth enough on the turn in, not maximising the grip etc. Shame it's not a few feet wider, it would make for some really adventurous overtaking manouvres I think - in fact if I was driving one of those Capri's I'd just want a few more feet to get round the corners anyway, and how some of the big Healey's managed to stay on the black stuff is beyond me. Saw you working hard at the wheel through Hall Bends Peter - that Mini was paying close attention to your rear as well - still it's not really a power circuit is it.
We had a reasonable day - despite getting up at 2.30 in the morning, but at least the engine worked this time, suffered from low oil pressure all day though, and for some reason the front brakes have become inefficient over winter ???, couldn't get enough balance onto the front. The race was certainly entertaining, made a pretty good start, passed two or three cars off the line then caught and passed 2 more but Chris Levy in a Royale didn't like that idea too much and got his brain in gear and started giving me a hard time, now the extra oil that I had put in the tank to combat the low O/P issue was blowing out behind me (and over my N/S rear tyre !) was supposed to make it difficult for Chris to get past, unfortunately that plan didn't work too well and he outdragged me down the back straight into Park then I had a "moment" at the Mountain and he got away - so I had a good race against someone, unfortunately it was down the back of the field, that is very definately not where I want to be, still I was learning the circuit, I qualified 17 out of 19 and finished 15th, went 4 secs quicker in the race than qualifying but still 2secs off where I think I should have been (midfield), If I don't get this single seater together this season I might just go back to a Mini and join your lot Peter.So all in all a good day and I'm looking forward to our second visit there in September.
Old 21 Apr 2000, 09:00 (Ref:10469)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow! Great stuff. Wish I'd been there.

Although Donington had its moments...

Incidentally, I've been reading this week's Autosport write-up, and I see this forum's very own YELWOCI got himself a class win.

And he hasn't been around telling us about it?

Congratulations Ian. That more than makes up for the DNF at Mallory. Well played.
Old 21 Apr 2000, 09:22 (Ref:10470)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well done Tony. Sounds like you had a similar race to me. I lined up 13th but was probably in the twenties at the first corner. I caught and passed the mini on lap five and was pulling away but I had seriously overheated my front tyres (working hard through Hall Bends = understeer) so I gave up any thoughts of catching and passing the two cars ahead. Jim and I had a great dice. I got away down the back straight and he'd catch me up through the Mountain. Great stuff. I finished 8th, which considering my start, was pretty good. You are absolutely right about the circuit. Attack, attack, attack. I know where there's at leat another 2 seconds from my time.

Yelwoci did very well and deserved the class win.
Old 21 Apr 2000, 10:34 (Ref:10471)   #12
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Peter, yeah we just got to keep trying harder. Is Ian the pilot of the red RX7 then ?. I just went to the CSCC site to look at cars for sale, absolutely nothing in there mate, let's get together at Brands and have a chat. (I think we're only there on the Sunday)
"I know where there's at leat another 2 seconds from my time."
So where's that then ???

[This message has been edited by Tony Harman (edited 21 April 2000).]
Old 21 Apr 2000, 14:37 (Ref:10472)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Harman:
Thanks Peter, yeah we just got to keep trying harder. Is Ian the pilot of the red RX7 then ?. I just went to the CSCC site to look at cars for sale, absolutely nothing in there mate, let's get together at Brands and have a chat. (I think we're only there on the Sunday)
"I know where there's at leat another 2 seconds from my time."
So where's that then ???

[This message has been edited by Tony Harman (edited 21 April 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ian races the RX7. 2 Secs comes from Coppice and Park. (See technical forum for my Park problem).

Apparently your mob are going to a non championship race at Spa on the Saturday and expect to return to Brands on the Sunday in time for practice and a race? What exactly do they smoke????

Will certainly see you at Brands old chap.
Old 25 Apr 2000, 13:00 (Ref:10473)   #14
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks for all your kind comments, though I feel that the class win was a little hollow given the real class leader, Nigel Garrett, dropped out on lap 8 about 60 secs up the track!

Pete was partially right about the run between Charlie II and Park, as I was braking from about 130mph (same as first straigt at Spa!) into Park, which is probably quicker than all bar the XJS.
Since the car was slipping out of 3rd on any bump or suggestion of overrun, I was taking Charlies in 4th!
Not using 3rd is a bit of a problem round here, but the torque range is good enough and the engine doen't really fall off 'cam', though a big carb causes probs at lower rpm.

The new Barn corner was where I was having the most fun as I could get the power down early and use 3rd briefly.

I thought the car was going well through the trees on the Mountain until Jon Warburton in a 1600 Fiesta chased me through it!

Hopefully g/box and 7000rpm misfire will be sorted for Brands on 13/14thMay

IanC