Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Jul 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3272311)   #1
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken James

In a tragic irony, on the same day that Sue Whitlock passed away, wife of current Club Secretary, I heard that Ken James a previous Club Secretary died last week. Funeral is at Crownhill Crematorium, Milton Keynes on Thursday 4th July at 11.30 hrs. Family flowers only, donations to RNLI.

Ken was our Secretary in the 1980's. As a retired college lecturer he quickly got us caught up on legal and Secretarial matters that were long overdue for correction - rather as Chris Whitlock has done for us more recently.

My fondest memory of Ken is that he used the copying facilities at my company. Our receptionist at the time had been one of his students, so Ken was often on the premises unannounced. I would wander past the copier to find Ken up to his armpits in paper. This was before emails and every bit of Council corresondence had to be copied 15 times. At AGM times and the like, Ken often made more copies in a week than we did!!

Ken was a regular marshal, at Silverstone mainly, into his seventies. He is survived by wife Peggy, two sons and several grandchildren.

George Copeland
National Treasurer BMMC
Old 1 Jul 2013, 10:32 (Ref:3272317)   #2
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The world is getting to be a poorer place minute by minute.

I remember Ken well from my early days. He always had time for every member of the team, including us trainees.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3272319)   #3
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We hadn't seen Ken for a long, long time. More sad news, at least for us oldies.

Certainly a stalwart from my early days marshalling and a great character.

RIP Ken.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3272420)   #4
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't seen Ken for many years but do have memories of him driving one of the Landrover fire tenders usually located in the Woodcote area. At most meetings I found him for a chat; he was a real character and was another stalwart of the marshals club of old who will be missed by so many. Condolences to all his family and friends. RIP Ken.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3272547)   #5
Firefox
Rookie

England
kilton meynes
Firefox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another sad day for the marshalling fraternity. I along with many at Silverstone have many happy memories of being on the bank with Ken as an I.O and Observer.
The last time we met was at Bletchley Park, after a long chat about old friends and events at Silverstone he took my youngest son and myself to see the the other great interest in his life, railway modelling and an N gauge layout of Bletchley Station and sidings on the 30's that he was building.

RIP Ken