Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 28 Jun 2000, 22:56 (Ref:20067)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This guy would be the first to admit that he isn't a road racer yet he finished second to Jeff Gordon at Sears Point. Are road racing skills overrated? Though many will claim that they show who has the most talent and that they require more skill from the the driver. However, in CART with the emergence of de Ferran, Castroneves in a revitalized Penske ride with new a powerplant, they are now suddenly more competitive.

Old 29 Jun 2000, 02:15 (Ref:20120)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, with the Jerico trannies and not having to use the clutch, it takes the edge of the more accomplished road racers.

As for the cart analogy, I don't know what you're getting at. If it's that equipmetn is what mkaes the racer, it doesn't hold true. de Ferran was always a standout on the roadcourse, even on Goodyears, with wins at Laguna Seca, Portland, and I can't remember where else, plus a ton of podiums (PIR in 97 when Blundell just clipped him, Cleveland in 97/ when Zanardi came from the back to pass him, and 98 when de ferran was 2nd to Z again). As for Castroneves, he put on quite a performance at PIR as well last year, plus he's only two years removed from being a rookie, and this is his first solid ride, so I'd say it's more of a case of Penske allowing him to showcase his talent, rather than the Penske cars just being so dominant.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 22:18 (Ref:20332)   #3
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was even more impressed with Jeff's win. It seems like he has been an "also ran" this year, yet he is right at home of the road course.

Everyone keeps saying that Paul Edwards is the US's best candidate for F1, but I can't help but wonder about Jeff. I wish he would just give it a try.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 17:17 (Ref:20540)   #4
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Jeff Gordon would need a LOT of testing to done well in F1. If he wanted to spend his time with it, he no doubt could do well, but it would take a lot. Look how Zanardi faired (yes the equipment was sh--), but still, he was coming from rear engined cars, as opposed to the transition Gordon would have to mkae. The narrow, grooved tyred cars are so fickle and have to be driven with such finesse, it will be a huge change from the way you throw around a stock car. The brakes are also so good it goes against what you have laready know about braking distance, instinctively wou will always want to brake way before you need to. Jeff would need to basically unlearn eevrything he knows and relearn the right way. For these reasons, Paul Edwards do better in F1 cause he already knows what these type of cars require. I would love yto see Gordon try, cause with a lot of testing he should be able to do well. As for Edwards makes his way over to CART instead of F1.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 20:23 (Ref:20581)   #5
Redneck
Racer

I agree to a point...

But what did racing open-wheel, 750hp, alcohol burning, short wheel base, fat tired, sprint cars have to do with stock cars. Gordon had no trouble making that transition. There are some people that just seem to be gifted. Look at Mario, he took one shot at the Daytona 500 and won it. I sincerely doubt Micheal Schumacher could do that.

I don't know if Gordon is that gifted, but I would like to see. I watched Paul Edwards in a couple of races recently and was not that impressed.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 21:04 (Ref:20586)   #6
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Despite the obvious difference betwen sprints and stocks, they both require the same amount and style of throttle control (which is why, btw, a lot of sprinters will be mediocre in bgn but very good in cup). The days of MArio Andretti and AJ Foyt where one person could do a one-off i any form of racing is over. Specialization prevents any such things. It's even hard for cart guys to do well in sportscars now, while many still do well, it's not like even 10 yrs ago where they could walk in and dominate.

I agree Gordon is gifted. But it took him about 4 years to get acquainted to stocks (with bgn and then cup). I imagine it would take even longer for F1.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 23:10 (Ref:20627)   #7
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Heeltoe6
Well, with the Jerico trannies and not having to use the clutch, it takes the edge of the more accomplished road racers.
Heeltoe, this is not true. See the following question addressed to Kevin Hamlin.

Q. My friend claims that NASCAR drivers do not use a clutch in their cars to shift gears; they only let off of the gas to allow the shift to happen. However, I claim they do use a clutch knowing that I have seen many races where the foot cam has been used. Which of us is correct? Do they use clutches or not?
--Chris Ritter, Catasauqua, Pa.

A. They're both right actually. You use a clutch for a standing start to take off with, and then at the road courses, where you use a Jericho transmission, you don't necessarily have to use the clutch, you can time the RPM's and measure the transmission for shifting. It's still preferred that you use the clutch and it's easier on the transmission.

Question found at:

http://www.nascar.com/news/1999news/.../00992251.html

Also, why do you think it would take Jeff Gordon four years to learn how to drive in F1 when Jenson Button hadn't even sat in the cockpit of an actual race car two years ago and is now racing in F1 and not embarrassing himself? Formula cars are easier to drive because virtually everything is optimized for the driver. No manual shifting of gears, a ton more downforce and ground effect that sucks the cars to the track in comparison to a Winston Cup car with a six inch spoiler, on board telemetry that assesses what the car needs instead of relying upon the input of the driver, etc.

Old 1 Jul 2000, 04:11 (Ref:20695)   #8
Heeltoe6
Veteran

I wouldn't say a grand prix car is easier by any means. It presents a different challenge, and is by no means a cake walk. A grand prix (especially the current ones) will be unlike Jeff Gordon has EVER driven. Like I said, it would have been easier 4-5 years ago, then he probably could've adapted quickly, but there new grooved tyred, narrow bodied cars are insane to drive. I can't really describe it other than to say one twitch on the sterring wheel in the wrong manner and you're in the kitty litter. And I am talking aobut a twitch so small it isn't measurable. Boils down to you can't man handle these cars around, and unless you've raced F3000 or something similar (like Edwards) it will be a long transition. All that techno-stuff won't mean squat if you don't know how to handle the car. Like I said look at Zanardi. Even when equipment didn't fail he wasn't setting the course on fire. Add Jacques Villeneuve as well, he did well when the cars were moe like champcars, but with the narrow bodies/grooved tread look how poorly he is doing. Uf these two drivers who had as much, if not more, success in thier respective series which were open wheel and rear engined, can't mkae the transition that easily, why would Gordon be able to. He is no better that equal in terms of raw talent, imho.

As for the clutch, I realize it can be used, and is a necessity from N to 1st, but how many of them do you think use it all the time? Hardly any. Gordon for one doesn't use it (jokingly saying the best thing that ever happened in the sport was the clutchless tranny) Back in 92, Martin only used it for upshifting (as a lot of drivers still did), and I would bet it is unlikely he still does. The only ones who I know, for sure, that still do the old heel toe method would be Ron Fellows and Boris Said, because each had a footcam in truck races last year, and of course, the announcers would have to point out how basically that was useless these days, and also that it was an anomolay in the garage areas. Rudd probably still uses it, I think he alluded to that (but never directly stated it), wonder if Rusty does? Nevertheless, the option, used by I'd say by the great majority of the field, not to have to learn and practice heel and toe braking certainly makes the road course a lot easier, and why you see a lot more names at the top these past few years.
Old 1 Jul 2000, 13:48 (Ref:20743)   #9
Redneck
Racer

I started thinking about your statement regarding specialized drivers has eliminated crossing over of drivers. I wonder how much of this actually due to sponsors and team owners not allowing them to cross over due to the risks involved. I think it is actually in many drivers contracts that they are not allowed to race in other series. I read in Mario Andretti's autobiography about this issue. They would try to put this limitation in his contracts but he refused it. Because of his experience and high profile he could dictate this issue. Most drivers do not have this clout and thus are limited to race only those races that the owners and sponsors will allow them to.
Old 1 Jul 2000, 21:11 (Ref:20819)   #10
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Well, we know Stewart isn't allowed to run the Indy 500, so that certainly is a big part to it.