Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 1 Nov 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1142210)   #1
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track days???

I've spent the last 2 years designing and building a car to compete in the 750 Formula. I am a bit behind schedule but reckon I should be able to run the car from July 2005.

Between now and then I want to get some track time in. I am doing the Silverstone 5 day intensive course easrly next year. But I wouldn't mind doing the occassional track day at other circuits just to get used to the lay out. Any tuition that gets chucked in is also handy. I want to have driven on most of the circuits by the time I start to race at them.

So how is this best gone about? The Octogan motor sport web site does not seem to be working. Is it best to try and book it through them directly?

Any other ideas about how I can get on a grey stuff for cheaper track time? Has anyone got any services they can offer to me directly?
Old 1 Nov 2004, 17:59 (Ref:1142214)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Try the Track Day forum
Old 2 Nov 2004, 08:25 (Ref:1142644)   #3
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A nice methodical approach good for you...

Just a firendly word of... caution, don't even mention the 'testing' word when you are trying to book you trackday as they won't touch you with a barge pole if you do. It's an insurance thing... your also not allowed to time yourself so hide anything to do with that too... just incase

Some trackday organisers do not allow 'race' cars in their session either... but they mostly operate on airfields. I would suggest you actually attend testing days instead... it's pretty much the same thing with more freedom for you and more experienced drivers around you too. You can even get it wrong without being hauled up by the organisers.

Most citcuits these days offer testing days for the club on the friday before a meeting. Sometimes at a discounted rate... so if your budget will stand it, you could test friday and learn the circuit and race saturday/sunday and win the class

Old 3 Nov 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1143938)   #4
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to be sure, what I think you are saying is that you want to take your roadcar on track (rather than the F750), so that you at least know what's over that blind crest.

If so:
1- Buy the Circuit Driver circuit guide (www.circuitdriver.com). Packed with info on correct lines, and a whole load of related info. When you go to a track, take a photocopy of the section to browse & mark up with comments.
2- Consider getting the magazine as well. Interesting read, and a very complete trackday diary.
3- Most trackdays are organised by, errr, organisers, not the tracks. Take a look at www.easytrack.co.uk and www.bookatrack.com. Both have good reputations. There are others that will suit your need, but they are good for a start. Some tuition is available.

When the F750 is ready to run, consider a private hire at somewhere like Llandow. It's cheap, open pitlane, and quiet. With no pressure to go out on track at a particular time, you can do your installation checks, identify/fix problems and play with settings a bit - in other words get comfortable with the car before the first time you have to present your licence at race control
Old 4 Nov 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1145051)   #5
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tested at Mallory in Feb with 750mc - nice easy track to learn and lots of sensible track time

I also tested at Silverstone - big run off areas to help your confidence and very quick accident clearup rate but some seriously quick cars on track (1980's F1 cars!!!)

I tried Brands - hopeless (although I like racing there) loads of interruptions and hardly any decent track time - perhaps I was unlucky

And I tried Snetterton, which was a lot better than Brands

A friend has taken his Sylva kit car (racer) to several track days and really enjoyed it - Cadwell his favourite
The rules are a bit strict but keeps the accidents down