Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 May 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1298559)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What Changes are Happening for Monterrey

What changes are we aware of that will be happening for Monterrey? Obviously Jensen won't be there.

eg. Will any of the seats have different drivers (Coyne, HVM)? Will there be new/different sponsors (eg. Dominguez)? Will any teams have different staff?
Old 12 May 2005, 06:01 (Ref:1298872)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I take it that because jensen are out for mexico that the Michel Jourdain thing is off as well ?
Old 12 May 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1298907)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Jourdain thing is a PKV car, I think the use of the Jensen name for it was a "flag of convenience" - so we may well still see it happen.
Old 15 May 2005, 02:21 (Ref:1301047)   #4
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But now according to SpeedTV - that may be out. Gonzalez though seems to be in.
Old 15 May 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1301153)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trout
But now according to SpeedTV - that may be out. Gonzalez though seems to be in.
Yeah, Roberto Gonzalez thanks to Nextel he could drive for either PKV, HVM in the third car.
Old 15 May 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1301509)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We've heard nothign from HVM yet, but I think they've only tested with Wirdheim adn Bremer since Long Beach, so they are probably staying.
Old 15 May 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1301514)   #7
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found the following rumour at Autoracing1.com ...

Quote:
Driver to quit IRL
We are hearing that one fairly popular driver in the Indy Racing League paddock is close to jumping ship to the Champ Car paddock, possibly as early as next week. What's not clear is whether it is an IndyCar driver or an IPS driver. We are also hearing that after the crashes at Motegi and again this week at Indy that many of the drivers look concerned. Also hearing that you probably won't see Michael Andretti risking his son Marco's well-being on any of the high banked tracks the IPS races on.
Wonder who it could be, and if it happens for Monterrey?

Ted
Old 15 May 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1301536)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Carpentier might be the most likely, considering the stuff that's been said so far, but it could just be someone like Mayer or an IPS guy bringing a sack of cash for a drive.
Old 15 May 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1301539)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's nonsense, I believe, Boots.

Bear in mind autoracing1.com's status as a pro-ChampCar cheerleading site, which enjoys innuendo against the IRL.

Look at the giveaway language - "We're hearing", "possibly", "not clear".

For them to say things happen "as early as next week" is a bit silly, given that the "Month of May" at Indy is still going on.

And crashes are an occupational hazard of oval racing.
Old 15 May 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1301547)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
It's nonsense, I believe, Boots.

Bear in mind autoracing1.com's status as a pro-ChampCar cheerleading site, which enjoys innuendo against the IRL.

Look at the giveaway language - "We're hearing", "possibly", "not clear".

For them to say things happen "as early as next week" is a bit silly, given that the "Month of May" at Indy is still going on.

And crashes are an occupational hazard of oval racing.
It's not nonsense, sure Autoracing1 is a rumor site but at at the end of the day, there is an eliment of truth behind it, not just a rumor they decided to create.
And I can't see why you think it's pro Champ Car cheerleading site, and trys to make the IRL look worse, you always seem to get affended by any good Champ Car news, and as a result may affect the IRL.
For once be happy for Champ Car, and not eat sour grapes over some positive Champ Car news.

Back to the quote, this is good news for Champ Car, and obviously Carpentier looks the most likely, and I can see why the teams are getting worried over the recent crashes, and if you were to pick between the two Champ Car would be the safest, as they only currently have two ovals.
From the quote it said popular driver I just can't seem to guess who it is, what do you guys think?
Old 15 May 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1301565)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

I welcome positive ChampCar news when there is some, but at the moment this is not news!
Old 15 May 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1301570)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
As the popular driver who's rumored to switch to Champ Cars, at first I thought it was Danica but I doubt her, then I thought Tony Kanaan but he wouldn't just leave 4 races into the season ans I'm sure wants to defend his title, then Manning came to mind, then Dixon who I think could be the most likely to switch back, but that's as crazy as things get.
Old 15 May 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1301583)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
As the popular driver who's rumored to switch to Champ Cars, at first I thought it was Danica but I doubt her, then I thought Tony Kanaan but he wouldn't just leave 4 races into the season ans I'm sure wants to defend his title, then Manning came to mind, then Dixon who I think could be the most likely to switch back, but that's as crazy as things get.
Of those you mentioned Manning or Dixon would be the only two with even the tiniest possibility of being true, IMO, considering the shape Ganassi is in at the moment.

Kanaan gets along way too good to even consider a switch away from the IRL, and Danica seems to have fit in real good as well and I don't see why she'd be interested in leaving a team as strong as Rahal for a very uncertain future in Champ Car.

I mean, where would this IRL driver end up in the Champ Car paddock anyway?
Old 15 May 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1301604)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
I mean, where would this IRL driver end up in the Champ Car paddock anyway?
Well Alex Lloyd wants to do a few races in the middle part of the season, and claims that will be a good time as then there will be seats avalible.
Old 15 May 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1301655)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Manning and Dixon wouldn't give up a salary in IndyCars to pay for a drive or drive for free elsewhere.
Old 15 May 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1301716)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Anyone wanting to break his/her contract because the racing is too dangeorus owuld be laughed out of court anyway. Everyone knows that oval racing has its dangers, adn anyone signing up to rac ein the class is accepting that implicitly by signing the deal.
Old 15 May 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1301822)   #17
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at it from another angle, and assuming that the rumour on that site is fairly close to the truth it could just simply mean that a driver will announce their intention to 'jump ship' from the IRL, but being so far away from the 2006 season it would be a strange thing to do.

If someone is getting nervous about ovals Champ Car isn't exactly an ideal job either.
Old 16 May 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1302209)   #18
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm nervous about ovals in ChampCars myself - I'm worried that there will never be more than 2 or 3 again. Fearing ovals wouldn't be a good reason not to race in it (and neither would fearing permenant road courses, American drivers or fully-funded teams who don't need paydrivers....)

There's no way anyone would announce a 2006 change this early in 2005. They would be doomed to a season of beign ignored by the team and probably chastised by the fans.
Old 16 May 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1302317)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really doubt that anyone will jump ship to CC from the IRL mid-season. The only people for whom it would make sense are those who could generate their own sponsorship or would be considered valuable enough by the series owners to jusitfy subsidizing another seat. That's a pretty tall order on both accounts.
Old 16 May 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1302357)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
The only other possibility is that a promising MIPS driver (perhaps Marco) has been offered a ChampCar drive, which would undoubtedly be a step up. Even then, he'd have to find a way to break his existing contract - and it would look ridiculous if the son fo the owner of the IRL's champion team were to leave its scene for the main rival.
Old 16 May 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1302369)   #21
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speaking of MIPS, it would be nice to see Thiago Medeiros get a seat (somewhere, anywhere). He deserves better than driving the two-seater show car.
Old 16 May 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1302386)   #22
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I HIGHLY doubt it would be Marco Andretti. He has almost no experience in high horsepower cars. Only 1 Star Mazda race and a couple IPS races under his belt. He spun out and crashed daddy's Indycar on his outlap a few weeks ago on his first test. I don't think anybody, even himself thinks he's ready to try racing a Champcar in race conditions yet.
Old 17 May 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1302672)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
PKV WILL field 3rd Car: Jorge Goeters

Perhaps it won't be a massive impact to the series in terms of a full time new addition, but Jorge Goeters will be in a 3rd PKV car for Monterrey. http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=8966
Old 17 May 2005, 05:26 (Ref:1302733)   #24
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jorge Goeters? Please tell me he deserves to be there...
Old 17 May 2005, 05:40 (Ref:1302737)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

It's a one-off and it's good for publicity, although he appears not to have the credentials.