Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 25 Dec 2014, 06:59 (Ref:3487808)   #1
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to use an abandoned airfield for motorcycles and touring cars.

Hello, it seems I found an abandoned airfield in which we can go and play games while my dream track gets built (if it ever does...)

It measures 60m wide by 720 long and it's basically part of a runway that was clipped in half by a road and that is the one part that is left out. The surface is...is an old airfield, not too bad but not the new, black, smooth asphalt I see now days, but the old grainy light gray stuff.

What would you do to make good use of that space, taking into account safety first, logistics, fun, a long straight.No other sections are to be added, we only use the tarmac of the runway, which it's quite narrow (hence the challenge)

Don't really need to go crazy on graphics, I'd like to see some sketches and suggestions, thanks you!

I already included one of my ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
RRRaw.jpg   RRFREE2.jpg  
Old 25 Dec 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3487838)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For something that small an area, I'd be thinking, karts or mini bikes. And if a bit of the dirt can be used then super moto.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 15:07 (Ref:3487857)   #3
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My attempt at this challenge. This is a nice wee location as it forces you not to get carried away and to come up with ways of keeping it thrilling. Also Merry Christmas everyone!!

0.95mi | Anti-Clockwise | 7m width
Attached Thumbnails
prairfield1.jpg  
Old 25 Dec 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3487887)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From the less is more approach...

1.441 km thats 0.900 miles
Clockwise with an internal hot pit. Paddock located elsewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Puerto Rico.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	44207

In hindsight the pits could move another 20 metres north for safety.
Old 26 Dec 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3487963)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a race track that comes close to the basic requirements of this challange. Bishopscourt in Co. Down in the North of Ireland.
Gps coordinates 54.306133,-5.580883.

http://bishopscourt.org/TheCircuit.aspx
Old 27 Dec 2014, 02:28 (Ref:3488029)   #6
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
WOW!!! Both of your ideas are so awesome!!!!

Love them!

Remember, this thing is not for international events of any kind, this will be a purely grassroot level club. We will very likely mark the course using movable barriers, haybayles, paint, so I plan to make a year long series using diferent "tracks" within the space, this thing is very likely to be used, both are so good!
Old 27 Dec 2014, 02:36 (Ref:3488030)   #7
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
There is a race track that comes close to the basic requirements of this challange. Bishopscourt in Co. Down in the North of Ireland.
Gps coordinates 54.306133,-5.580883.

http://bishopscourt.org/TheCircuit.aspx
Nice track! The graphics reminded me some of our first pre-Sketchup era designs using paint!
Old 27 Dec 2014, 02:42 (Ref:3488032)   #8
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
For something that small an area, I'd be thinking, karts or mini bikes. And if a bit of the dirt can be used then super moto.
I would dare disagreeing with you in this one ocasion!

I've been there and I thought it was so wide that we can even come inside and have some kind of an infield, but since it's really 60m wide, I have to re-check my thoughts by experimenting with my life-sized motorcycle, but still I managed to put a high speed kink on my design. Touring cars definitively, they have already raced there, although it was not a "circuit" but more of an exotic car show, with people doing high speed passes on their luxury sport cars, but we can have a 30M radius "hairpin" at least, I'd like to have a DA on one side too...etc etc