Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Aug 2017, 22:06 (Ref:3758483)   #5801
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
People were already complaining about no noise when Audi were running the R10 in the ALMS. The thing was only making about 85-90db. Even the old R8 was quite a bit louder than that.

I'd think that the ICE's future lies with synthetic or renewable fuels that are low emission. Audi are/were working on making semi-synthetic diesel fuel and gasoline out of a form of algae. And I think that others have been trying to work along similar lines.

These fuels are also supposed to overcome the problem with ethanol, which is it's low energy density.

EVs and fuel cells are probably the future, but the technology to make the viable for the public is a ways off, and until the public can have the benefits of a EV/fuel cell with the benefits of a car that runs off old dinosaur juice, they'll have limited appeal. Not to mention that there's questions of if infrastructure can currently support EVs.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 02:56 (Ref:3758529)   #5802
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't understand people who can't enjoy a race if their ears aren't bleeding.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 03:14 (Ref:3758532)   #5803
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Well I guess there are people who enjoy silent movies, still.

L.P.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3758550)   #5804
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
EV racing will be anything but silent, it may not be loud but it's definitely not silent.

Another big Hydrogen down side is storage, hydrogen leaks out of the tanks over time.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 08:51 (Ref:3758562)   #5805
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
I like variety, which is something EV racing cannot offer. I like V4 through to V12, NA, Turbo and even the LMP Diesels. Variety is part of what makes Le Mans so amazing track side and it'll be sad when it's gone.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3758733)   #5806
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I like variety, which is something EV racing cannot offer. I like V4 through to V12, NA, Turbo and even the LMP Diesels. Variety is part of what makes Le Mans so amazing track side and it'll be sad when it's gone.
I assure you that's not entirely the case.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 00:42 (Ref:3758928)   #5807
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I think some of you are judging the electricity-generation as a function of the 'grid'. I think the future of electric vehicles is having charging stations spaced out that generate their own juice without the need of the grid.

The big shift that Henry Ford caused was having your own engine and fuel supply that was independent.

Independence of the grid is the future. I also think that the roofs of the transporters can hold enough power generating tools to supply a team and car(s) for an entire weekend.

Driving up and running a weekend without plugging in should be the goal.

That way, the coal-produced electricity becomes a non-issue.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3759484)   #5808
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lend Lease

With Porsche having proven their point, it leaves TMG Toyota with a dilemma...race at Le Mans and try and win albeit against themselves. Leave the WEC and go Rallying instead...Or why not Lend, Lease or Sell off their old race cars (with help) to Privateer teams and keep the Hybrid class championship alive?
Old 15 Aug 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3759562)   #5809
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Privateers don't have the money or the technical resources to run one of these cars on their own, or even probably with help from the factory.

Really, the last time that privateers got their hands on factory spec cars was when Audi Sport and Panoz sold some R8s and LMP1 Roadsters to customer teams. I think that the era of customer teams, be it fully privateer or semi-factory, are pretty much over without a technological reset.

These cars make even the Audi R18 e-tron quattro and Toyota TS030 from 2013 look almost AK-47 simple. Which means that the old R8 is about as simple as a rock if you want to look at weaponry.

The new cars from Ginetta, Dallara and whoever else wants to throw their hat into the ring will be customer friendly, but they won't have hybrids.

Peugeot's efforts could probably create a customer friendly hybrid LMP1, but I know that people will also look down on their requests as "dumbing down" LMP1 tech.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3759563)   #5810
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Privateers don't have the money or the technical resources to run one of these cars on their own, or even probably with help from the factory.

Really, the last time that privateers got their hands on factory spec cars was when Audi Sport and Panoz sold some R8s and LMP1 Roadsters to customer teams. I think that the era of customer teams, be it fully privateer or semi-factory, are pretty much over without a technological reset.

These cars make even the Audi R18 e-tron quattro and Toyota TS030 from 2013 look almost AK-47 simple. Which means that the old R8 is about as simple as a rock if you want to look at weaponry.

The new cars from Ginetta, Dallara and whoever else wants to throw their hat into the ring will be customer friendly, but they won't have hybrids.

Peugeot's efforts could probably create a customer friendly hybrid LMP1, but I know that people will also look down on their requests as "dumbing down" LMP1 tech.
ORECA did win Sebring with a 908 remember.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3759564)   #5811
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
With Porsche having proven their point, it leaves TMG Toyota with a dilemma...race at Le Mans and try and win albeit against themselves. Leave the WEC and go Rallying instead...Or why not Lend, Lease or Sell off their old race cars (with help) to Privateer teams and keep the Hybrid class championship alive?
I have a feeling that with Murata now head of TMG and him being the proponent of the hybrid, that TMG may be heading towards offering a customer option for a hybrid system. If not then there is another story to unfold with his promotion.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3759613)   #5812
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
ORECA did win Sebring with a 908 remember.
I wouldn't call Oreca a privater team in the conventional sense. They were basically a fourth factory car in all but name in 2010 and early 2011. From LM onwards, I'd agree with your assessment, but they were pretty much another factory 908 until then.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3759615)   #5813
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
They already went rallying (WRC) this year. And TMG only does the engine, apparently.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 22:34 (Ref:3759639)   #5814
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
They already went rallying (WRC) this year. And TMG only does the engine, apparently.
True. And the wrc is not going to be allowing hybrids for the foreseeable future. Toyota wants to promote that and only the WEC or F1 allow hybrids right now. So imo they're staying put. They hopefully have some good competition in the future to help them with the reasons for staying aside from the hybrid aspect.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3759643)   #5815
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's have a simple tweak-

Give one car to Toms

Gazoo VS Toms

Brand the toms car as a Lexus, advertise both brands while you're at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 Aug 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3759644)   #5816
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
I'm not sure how Toyo would feel about brand inter-competition. And SARD is the one that's itching to go to France.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 04:59 (Ref:3759669)   #5817
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
SARD has basically always brought at least one of their own car, I think that's an important part of the project to them.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 02:44 (Ref:3761653)   #5818
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pechito Lopez and Sébastien Buemi were testing the TS 050 in Magny-Cours On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week.
"Everything went very well, I did many laps and that helps me to continue learning," "Some things were tested for Mexico and there the objective will be to fight Porsche", said Pechito. On Tuesday he gave 180 laps and on Wednesday 250.

http://deskgram.org/p/1587681152729923821_180335270
http://www.campeones.com.ar/0/nota/index.vnc?id=53298
Old 26 Aug 2017, 06:09 (Ref:3761667)   #5819
TF110
Veteran

United States
Cool, thanks for finding that. I saw someone mention on twitter there was a Toyota there at Magny Cours but he didn't say who was there testing.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3763540)   #5820
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/n...until-october/

*sigh*
Old 1 Sep 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3763547)   #5821
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
New schedule where there's no true 2018 season (will be combined with 2019) might play into Toyota's hands if they want out before 2019. Only one race set up before LM next year means that no one in the WEC will be doing much racing anyways.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3763586)   #5822
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So the Toyota will be performance balanced against the privateer cars next year. Given it's paid for by the R&D budget, will that be enough incentive to keep them around?
Old 1 Sep 2017, 22:40 (Ref:3763601)   #5823
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
A factory hybrid will still have an advantage on stint length, and the car should (will) be faster due to the extra resources. If anything, the calendar change with a fair reduction in travel expenses will be the deal-sealer for Toyota's continued participation.

Until they win Le Mans.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3763607)   #5824
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Toyota have to run the full WEC schedule to enter Le Mans in 2018 or 2019.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...or-201819.html

Admittedly it wouldn't be hard to run Spa and Le Mans next year then leave anyways.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 23:17 (Ref:3763612)   #5825
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
That could be why Toyota might be gone after this season, though I do think that the ACO aren't in any position to turn down any LM only entries at this stage.

And outside of paying a fine/fee to the ACO, what's there to actually stop Toyota from leaving if they win LM next year and decide to only do Fuji?