Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Mar 2003, 02:58 (Ref:528412)   #1
Dr Claw 130
Rookie

Dr Claw 130 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out my car that i'm designing.

http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet01.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet02.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet03.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet04.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet05.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet06.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet07.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet08.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet09.jpg
http://www.kenswaycoolstuff.homestea...m_hornet10.jpg

There she is, my own Le Mans racer. I know it only has 1 seat, but i dont care. Its all to scale and everything; 187"x80"x40". i've been working on it since august or so and i'd have to say that Mr. Mulsane Mike has been a GREAT aid in helping me get the idea of how to design a good LMP type car. As for now, I am working on both the engine and front/rear suspension, ya know, the guts and stuff.

Suggestions? comments?
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:59 (Ref:528533)   #2
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awsome!
What class is it for? Is it for SCCA CSR or DSR? Whats its powered by? What type of chassis? What demensions?

The only things that I see as issues to me are....
The front fenders.....Why are they round and dome like? Somewhat hard edges are much more efficiant.....Also, the round area to the inside of the front wheels.....that area of bodywork, if not there would greatly reduce frontal area.

Also, the intakes, which I assume are for cooling, just behind the fenders I think are probably far to small for any real world cooling. They are only about the size of brake ducts.

The only other thing, is that overall it looks great, but overbodied, too much body work. It would be more aerodynamicly efficiant if it had less size to the body work.

But great job! Cant wait to see how it progresses!!!

BTW, what program did you use for the renderings.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 05:00 (Ref:528535)   #3
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, I checked out your website!! Great site, with lots of great renderings.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 12:05 (Ref:528802)   #4
lowieracing
Racer

lowieracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what program was used to design this?, oh and nice design by the way!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 12:20 (Ref:528817)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, that design could actually evolve into a heck of a sportsracer! Very smart and aggressive design with the miniscule front rolling stock, very reminiscent of the all-conquering Ferrari 312 P. It'd take close co-operation with a tire manufacturer to produce a suitable set of tires for the car, but the reductions in drag should more that make up for the loss in mechancial grip, especially if you fitted a wider pair of wheels and tires in front to offset the reduced contact patch.

The back end, though... I just think you could stuff a more efficient diffuser at the back if you didn't have that sudden curling down of the bodywork. That could also produce some unwanted turbulence along the underside of the rear wing.

The footbox could do with little bit of trimming, but not much.

I'd suggest tying the rear wing endplates to the bodywork, worked great for Audi and Riley & Scott.

All told, _very_ cool.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 12:50 (Ref:528849)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to know what program you're using for that too.
I've been doing this sort of thing for ages, but on sheets of A3 paper! I agree, Mulsannescorner it great help, but unfortunately, i don't know enough of the detailed stuff to do something proper, just units here and there, ie where to put the engine, drivetrain, suspension, but little of the inner workings of each component.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 16:33 (Ref:528965)   #7
Dr Claw 130
Rookie

As for it's class, I have no idea . My main influences were Audi and Caddilac, but as someone previously said, I don't know to much of the technical stuff so I try and ad-lib the best that I can. I'd say that I wanted it to be a 900 car, but I guess you need two seats to be one or something so perhaps that is outa the picture but I don't care .

Quote:
The front fenders.....Why are they round and dome like? Somewhat hard edges are much more efficiant
Well, I didn't know that in the begining. *takes note*.

Quote:
Also, the round area to the inside of the front wheels.....that area of bodywork, if not there would greatly reduce frontal area
Which part? the channel comeing out the front wheel well? I don't exactly understand which part of the car your talkin about

Quote:
Also, the intakes, which I assume are for cooling, just behind the fenders I think are probably far to small for any real world cooling. They are only about the size of brake ducts.
Well, they are about as big as I could make them. If I raised the two decks on either side of the cockpit, they would flow over the wheel pontoons and that would be not good. If I lowered the front slope of my car, then I wouldn't be able to fit in a suspension system. I'm thinking of adding two more ports on either side. Mainly thinking of where the front wheel well stops arching and melds into the main deck, somewhere in there; any suggestions?

Quote:
The only other thing, is that overall it looks great, but overbodied, too much body work. It would be more aerodynamicly efficiant if it had less size to the body work
Meh, I'm only 17. I dont care, this is for fun

As for the program, i'm using EDS's Solid Edge v12, same program that I used to make most everything on my site. I also know Solid works, and have a whole other car, but it isn't a "race" car so I dunno if I should show it here. Thanks for checking my stuff out man.

Quote:
The back end, though... I just think you could stuff a more efficient diffuser at the back if you didn't have that sudden curling down of the bodywork. That could also produce some unwanted turbulence along the underside of the rear wing.
What do you mean? Wait, I just checked all the pictures...THEY DONT HAVE THE REAR DIFFUSER IN THEM! Looks like I need to take new pictures...i'll wait till I get the front suspension worked out and then upload new ones for ya guys, but yes, there IS a diffuser. I don't know exactly how techincal I designed it...but it is there. Stay tuned

Quote:
I'd suggest tying the rear wing endplates to the bodywork, worked great for Audi and Riley & Scott.
Isn't that no longer leagal? I could always pull an audi though..

And to those quoted, please respond
Old 8 Mar 2003, 17:09 (Ref:529006)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So you do this for fun? That's what i do but i want to do it as a career, have you ever thought of doing something like that.
You're right, what does it matter if it wouldn't work, it is for fun, and you're just trying to design something interesting, and beautiful.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 17:20 (Ref:529020)   #9
Dr Claw 130
Rookie

Well, this whole "fun" thing has it's alterior motives...it's all for my portfolio . I am looking for a Mechanical engineering degree from lawrence tech in Southfield Mi, and then a Industrial/transportation design degree from College for Creative Studies in detroit and i figured anything I can make now, in my own free time will benifit me in the future.

My cars have also gotten me a decent job for being 17, and currently, two new job offers so its cool. I went to the SAE world congress last week and handed out CD's of all my work...hopefully more job offers will come down the pipe from that too.

But in the end, it is fun, even after all the brain racking, "messing arround" (<= designing cars and stuff) on solid edge is a blast.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 22:38 (Ref:529231)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I need to start thinking about that sort of thing then. I am 16, and my Uni application will be at the end of next year, got to think fast!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 22:58 (Ref:529258)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Between you and Pirenzo, all I can say is:

"That much talent should be illegal...

Both of you will do very well in this field....

Good luck, and nice design!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 22:59 (Ref:529263)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One other note to Dr. Claw:

Unless I'm mis-reading the 2003 and 2004 regs, the endplates are legal...they are referred to as "bodywork extensions" if I remember correctly...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 23:25 (Ref:529311)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
In fact i believe they're mandatory in 04
Old 9 Mar 2003, 03:38 (Ref:529509)   #14
Dr Claw 130
Rookie

Then what was all the commotion about the audi's only haveing a gap between them as thick as a credit card?

I hope we are talking about teh same thing..
Old 9 Mar 2003, 12:08 (Ref:529935)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very impressive indeed

Make your next project one with a roof for me!
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:49 (Ref:530174)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
in 2002, they were illegal, the gap was to make them legal. In response to this the ACo have made the deep end plates mandatory, so there is no need for that gap.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 16:25 (Ref:530235)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Very impressive indeed

Make your next project one with a roof for me!
Put it this way, when i'm less busy and have time to start doing this really seriously again, it won't have a double roll hoop...
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:42 (Ref:530340)   #18
Dr Claw 130
Rookie

Ahhh, I see now. So attaching the endplates to the body work is now legal/manditory eh? Guess i'll have to put them on.

Quote:
Put it this way, when i'm less busy and have time to start doing this really seriously again, it won't have a double roll hoop...
What did ya mean by this? I dont really follow...
Old 9 Mar 2003, 18:24 (Ref:530388)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Sorry, Ayse said next time put a roof on it. So i said that i'd do one with a roof, but i said it in an odd way. In 04, all open top cars will have to have double roll hoop/headrest/siderest structures. That will be undoubtably ugly, so i'll have to put a roof on it anyway. As for when i have time, well i used to do this a lot, but since i've got into more than just car designing, plus the massive amount of school work that has decended on me over the last month, i haven't really manged to do anything on these lines.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 12:20 (Ref:534939)   #20
CFD-9
Rookie

CFD-9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice looking car!

If you do one with the roof on (maybe copy dimensions from the Toyota Eagle page?!) and build it with tight tolerances on all the lines in the CAD file and save it in IGES format then I may be able to run it in Fluent CFD Software for you...!

Often the most complicated part of the CFD process is cleaning up the CAD model. If you start from scratch and are careful with line placement then this usually isn't a problem!

I think this would be an interesting project! It may take some time on my part as I'm real busy at work but I definitely be interested in doing a whole car model for you!

Or anyone else for that matter...?