Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Oct 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3311471)   #26
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
I was at Snetterton and also run a 35B in sprints- a concern I have is that the drivers helmet was lost during the initial impact.

This was a Bell full face helmet and I really can't fathom how this can happen.
I have no issue with running without roll bars, Hans or straps but I certainly want a helmet.
I have an easy explanation for that:
put on Your helmet
do up your chinstrap
than pull the helmet upwards in the back at the nape of your neck

I am able to pull my Arai helmet off, unless I do the chinstrap up very tight
tighter than I used to do

I discovered this when one day I wanted to take off my HANS, had forgotten to undo my helmet and managed to pull everything off
that was another brand of helmet
i contacted that manufacturer, demonstrated it
they were shocked, really shocked, refunded my money
later contacted me and sold an improved version
I am personally responsible for a change in the design
and they supply F1....
i deliberately will leave them nameless, allthough they were very helpfull
and i consider them a top brand because at least they faced the Music
customer Service was impeccable

try it !!

Rudolf

Last edited by Tim Falce; 1 Oct 2013 at 15:43. Reason: See post #24
Old 1 Oct 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3311480)   #27
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add my six pennyworths, I was at Snetterton on Sunday (fortunately not in the sector where the accident occurred) and was also at the fatality in the GP support race incident Peter mentions (poor Simon Langton if I recall correctly). I also witnessed the Mann ERA accident in practice at Clearways(in the 70's I think) again for a GP support race at Brands.

I am saddened, but not surprised, that already there appears to be a drift towards "pre-war racing cars should not race". The drivers fully know and appreciate the risks, as do the marshals, and any serious and knowledgeable spectators. Can somebody tell me what makes this type of racing less safe than long circuit karting, motorbike racing and speedway (to name but three motorsport activities). If the outcome is to make it impossible for these type of cars to race properly and at speed, can we then expect similar restrictions placed on the examples I mentioned above?
Old 1 Oct 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3311494)   #28
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding helmets - I got a nasty surprise when I purchased one a couple of years ago. No matter how tight I fastened the chin strap I was able to pull it straight off from the back.
I had to purchase an XS size from another manufacturer because of the shape of my head (quite flat at the back). I suspect quite a few people have "flat" heads (!) and I would strongly advise spending time and effort in sourcing a helmet that fits properly.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3311705)   #29
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scillitoe View Post
Just to add my six pennyworths, I was at Snetterton on Sunday (fortunately not in the sector where the accident occurred) and was also at the fatality in the GP support race incident Peter mentions (poor Simon Langton if I recall correctly). I also witnessed the Mann ERA accident in practice at Clearways(in the 70's I think) again for a GP support race at Brands.

I am saddened, but not surprised, that already there appears to be a drift towards "pre-war racing cars should not race". The drivers fully know and appreciate the risks, as do the marshals, and any serious and knowledgeable spectators. Can somebody tell me what makes this type of racing less safe than long circuit karting, motorbike racing and speedway (to name but three motorsport activities). If the outcome is to make it impossible for these type of cars to race properly and at speed, can we then expect similar restrictions placed on the examples I mentioned above?
The end of historic racing probably of any kind.

Not a happy thought...
Old 2 Oct 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3311736)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pretty much the normal reaction from the "something must be done" brigade (not pointing at anyone here BTW), would be to legislate the category out of existence. However, as I pointed out in a previous post, it matters not what type of car you are driving, if it's your turn, circumstances will conspire to take you away.

Fatalistic? Perhaps, but nonetheless trying to apply modern safety systems to cars that patently can't go as fast (other than in a straight line) as their more modern counterparts, would probably be counter productive.

So, whatever the outcome of the official investigations, I hope it does not lead to the reduction or restriction of these cars, especially as the only reason this accident happened was because someone was out in a car enjoying himself.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3311783)   #31
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If You outlaw a period of Historic Racing, where do You start and where do You stop ?
Any later category will be safer than the preceeding one.

Monocoque cars are safer than tube framed cars, for instance, using this argument you can kill pre 66 Grand Prix car racing if You wanted to.

Pre war racing needs to be approached with a certain careful mindframe.
This is good advice for all forms of amateur racing.

We have suffered a terrible blow.
Things can be learned from this.
But we dont want a knee jerk reaction, especially not from experts that have no real experience with pre war racing.

You can do a lot, even in a pre war:
wear a proper helmet, make sure that fits properly
wear a rib cage protection vest ( I sometimes do)
fit better mirrors
be aware of your surroundings
try those american neck restraints that require not belts, if you want
above all, drive sensibly

Rudolf
Old 2 Oct 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3311784)   #32
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scillitoe View Post
I was at Snetterton on Sunday (fortunately not in the sector where the accident occurred) and was also at the fatality in the GP support race incident Peter mentions (poor Simon Langton if I recall correctly).
Stephen Langton, 1985.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3311867)   #33
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Pretty much the normal reaction from the "something must be done" brigade (not pointing at anyone here BTW), would be to legislate the category out of existence. However, as I pointed out in a previous post, it matters not what type of car you are driving, if it's your turn, circumstances will conspire to take you away.

Fatalistic? Perhaps, but nonetheless trying to apply modern safety systems to cars that patently can't go as fast (other than in a straight line) as their more modern counterparts, would probably be counter productive.

So, whatever the outcome of the official investigations, I hope it does not lead to the reduction or restriction of these cars, especially as the only reason this accident happened was because someone was out in a car enjoying himself.
The 'elf & safety' brigade will possibly recomend them big rubber safety barriers all the way round the car !!!!!!!!

Where did you get the rib protector from, Rudolph.

Last edited by FastDB2s; 2 Oct 2013 at 13:45.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3311881)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
Stephen Langton, 1985.
Thanks for that and I apologise for forgetting the gentleman's name.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3311882)   #35
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post

Is it something like this?

http://www.racewear.co.uk/Speed_Rib_.../speed-rpk.htm

(Girl not included)
Old 4 Oct 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3312760)   #36
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
The 'elf & safety' brigade will possibly recomend them big rubber safety barriers all the way round the car !!!!!!!!

I think I bought it at Grand Prix Racewear / Silverstone.
But that was 5 yeara ago...
Could have been a Sparco item
I actually have 2 protectors
I light one, not very bulky, allows more movement
A heavy one, very protective, a 2 pice item with a breast plate, and shoulder protectors, but a bit restrictive if tolerble

I wear either according to mood and circumstances.

Not sure it they are still beeing made.

Rudolf