Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 3 Dec 2000, 02:42 (Ref:50869)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
this is an official press release sent to me by the Formula Holden association about this weekends NZGP.

Simon Wills (Birrana Racing/ Lighting Direct - Reynard 94D) scored yet another win on his way to the series lead after race one of round two of the Tasman Express New Zealand Grand Prix Series held at Auckland's Pukekohe circuit earlier today. In dry and warm conditions the twenty-four-year-old Melbourne based Aucklander was never headed, setting a new lap record at 52.972s during a faultless display and will go into this afternoon's 40 lap New Zealand Grand Prix as the unbackable favourite. The rest of the field were left in his wake and after second placed finisher Andy Booth (NRC Racing/ Propecia - Reynard 95D) was given a five-second penalty for an error at the restart after a Safety Car period, allowing Matthew Halliday (NRC Racing/ Empower/ Turners - Reynard 95D) to move into second ahead of the other Birrana machine of LeRoy Stevenson.

Booth wound up fourth, with Steve Owen the only Hocking Motorsport finisher in fifth, his team mate Stuart Kostera retiring from tenth on lap three when a throttle-cable broke. 2000 Silver Star champion Peter Hill (M ONE 11 - Reynard 95D) matched his career-best finish of sixth after a spirited battle with teenager Paul Dumbrell (Wynn's Racing - Reynard 93D), Owen and USA driver Emerson Newton-John. Even though the latter was without a clutch, this did little to slow him down as he charged through to fifth after starting at the rear of the grid. A mid-race spin spoiled his day and he withdrew when the car wouldn't re-start. Paul Dumbrell claimed seventh, but was frustrated at being so slow in a straight-line, despite running without any upper element in his rear wing.

Ian Peters was eighth and the first Silver Star car home with Dean Cockerton, Mark Ellis (a quick early spin at the hairpin) and Ian Lloyd the last of the fourteen (Oakeshott failed to start due to a fuel leak) cars to take the chequer. Wills now moves into the overall points lead, ten ahead of Stevenson and twenty-four ahead of Halliday with Booth a further two points adrift of his NRC team mate. Outwardly, it seems the nothing can stop Wills from winning his third NZGP in as many years, although the threat of late rain may lead to some interesting set-up strategies.

more info can be found at http://www.formulaholden.com.au
Old 3 Dec 2000, 08:29 (Ref:50888)   #2
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Booth wins the last race and the Tasman championship!
Old 6 Dec 2000, 03:30 (Ref:51301)   #3
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say TVNZ's coverage of the Manfield round sucked.
If they try and cram Puke into 15 minutes (!!!) of highlights as well, I wont bother watching it.
When they lost their rugby and cricket rights, I hoped against hope that they would show more motorsport, especailly since they are PAID to show it.
Alas, it looks like more reruns of MASH instead.

Yay for state television!
Old 7 Dec 2000, 17:04 (Ref:51511)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the series qualifying times are not to close...what is simon wills doing in 2001, i reckon he deserves a v8 supercar drive - indy lights would be ok to.
Old 7 Dec 2000, 18:15 (Ref:51522)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So they're basically F3000 cars - but with what modifications??
Old 8 Dec 2000, 02:57 (Ref:51584)   #6
kev
Rookie

gomick, after beating Scott Dixon last year, Wills was offered an Indy Lights drive at half the going rate. He couldn't raise the money. A pity because I really rate him.
In Dixon's defence, he was promised a freshly rebuilt car, and given a tired old heap. I wonder if that had anything to do with his absence this year.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 07:09 (Ref:51592)   #7
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the past two NZGP's Simon Wills easily beat Dixon and Murphy,all the post race hype was Dixon vs Murphy and Wills drove away from both of them,i do believe his car and crew were superior though.

Unfortunately due to the scum at MSNZ taking the race north I was unable to attend this years event,and didn't even see the 15 minute highlights.

Manfield is not a bad track,but Kev got it right when he called the other one Puke.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 07:51 (Ref:51593)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dan: they are old F3000 engines, with a fairly underpowered V6 Holden engine. For many years 92 Reynards dominated the field, but now the higher nosed (but lower downforce) 95-97 Reynards are dominant.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 17:33 (Ref:51747)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
big kev, i rate simon wills aswell - scotty dixon another gun.......... ........but what is wills doing in 2001!
Old 12 Dec 2000, 01:40 (Ref:52025)   #10
kev
Rookie

I dunno
Old 13 Dec 2000, 05:49 (Ref:52202)   #11
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Wills was going to the V8 supercars,although i couldn't tell you what team he was going to be driving for.

I also saw Andy Booth in the post race interview was going to the USA for a Indy lites test and expected to be racing there next year.
Old 13 Dec 2000, 06:16 (Ref:52205)   #12
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Newton-John impressed a lot of people too! That American is very good....
Booth is testing in Vegas this week (Indy Lights).