Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Jun 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3098983)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
V8 Supercars race at Mexico?

It's Speedcafe talking, so it's no joke. The Autódromo Hermanos RodrÃ*guez at Mexico DF could host a V8 Supercars race back to back with the Austin race. Mexican driver Michel Jourdain Jr said that "obviously there would be more opportunities to promote the Austin and a possible Mexican race if there was a Mexican in the field – I would love that to be me."
Old 27 Jun 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3098993)   #2
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
It's Speedcafe talking, so it's no joke. The Autódromo Hermanos RodrÃ*guez at Mexico DF could host a V8 Supercars race back to back with the Austin race. Mexican driver Michel Jourdain Jr said that "obviously there would be more opportunities to promote the Austin and a possible Mexican race if there was a Mexican in the field – I would love that to be me."
Everything is possible. IT's just a question of making sure there's a big cheque to cover the bills.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 01:00 (Ref:3099683)   #3
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AR1 were reporting last week discussion are being held between V8 Supercars and a North American Circuit.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 05:39 (Ref:3099711)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence View Post
Everything is possible. IT's just a question of making sure there's a big cheque to cover the bills.
Seems V8SA only look at the big cheque rather than sustainable events and it seems Mexico might be another chapter.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3099837)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ford and Nissan would love to race in Mexico. The Nascar Mexico Series is quite big.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3099843)   #6
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke View Post
AR1 were reporting last week discussion are being held between V8 Supercars and a North American Circuit.

A Race at Waktkins Glen would be cool
Old 29 Jun 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3099898)   #7
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ford and Nissan would love to race in Mexico. The Nascar Mexico Series is quite big.
Ford US might, but that does not necessarily help the bill payers at Ford Australia.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 16:32 (Ref:3099908)   #8
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what cash is Ford Aust putting in tho??

nothing to send the guys to the US I bet, that bill is footed by the guys in Texas, so why not split the bill with the labourers from down south!!, Ford Aust will still end up with a decent TV audience (probably bigger than most local rounds)
Old 1 Jul 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3100438)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
what cash is Ford Aust putting in tho??

nothing to send the guys to the US I bet, that bill is footed by the guys in Texas, so why not split the bill with the labourers from down south!!, Ford Aust will still end up with a decent TV audience (probably bigger than most local rounds)
Ford Australia is funding and supporting the teams participation in the championship.

Ask ford Australia would they prefer their cars/teams to be running at Mallala or Mexico and I am confident they wouldnt be keen on boarding a plane?
Old 1 Jul 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3100492)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm sure they would be wrapt to be going live into the usa as opposed to a crowd of 10000 people and no tv coverage into Mallala
Old 1 Jul 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3100594)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Mexico race would be tied into the Austin race, so it would only be one trip over.

Ford Australia exists at the whim of it's parent company, Ford, so there is a bigger picture here.
Old 2 Jul 2012, 01:56 (Ref:3100731)   #12
St00ge
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Ford Australia is funding and supporting the teams participation in the championship.

Ask ford Australia would they prefer their cars/teams to be running at Mallala or Mexico and I am confident they wouldnt be keen on boarding a plane?
Yes Ford Aust are funding teams, which race ALL OVER AUSTRALIA already and they won't be funding any O/S trips because that falls on the O/S promoter.. The championship points won O/S are still valid here in Australia so i'm sure Ford Aust wants their teams to do well

I'm confident Ford Aust will get more TV/media exposure locally and O/S with the USA or potential Mexico round than anything they put on at Mallala..
Old 2 Jul 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3100797)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thicktoria!

Quote:
Not a problem...they already race in Victoria which is very much like Mexico!
Old 2 Jul 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3100843)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I'm sure they would be wrapt to be going live into the usa as opposed to a crowd of 10000 people and no tv coverage into Mallala
Why no TV if the series raced at Mallala?

Going live in the USA...............................on cable. What does this do for selling cars in Australia that running at eg. Mallala doesn't?
Old 2 Jul 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3100859)   #15
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a self-gratification tour, any round proposed outside Aus/NZ. It's ridiculous. A question for Michel Jourdain Jr. Are you a significant enough driver, for anyone in Mexico to care that you are participating in an unfamiliar car race?
Old 2 Jul 2012, 12:43 (Ref:3100892)   #16
St00ge
Veteran

Why is the v8s going o/s such a big deal? we have a hard limit on the number that can happen, we still have every state covered and even EC back, the teams all get a "free" rounds worth of travel/acc which is a decent amount when you look at the size of some of the team;.

If you're watching it on TV does it really make THAT much of a difference? the races to the west of Australia works out pretty well with the different timezones and the races in the US time zone would suit late afternoon races there which would give us early morning live here (6am WST 9am EST for 5pm in Austin) which would work out alright and I could deal with here in WA.

Last edited by St00ge; 2 Jul 2012 at 12:52.
Old 2 Jul 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3101090)   #17
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Just a self-gratification tour, any round proposed outside Aus/NZ. It's ridiculous. A question for Michel Jourdain Jr. Are you a significant enough driver, for anyone in Mexico to care that you are participating in an unfamiliar car race?
A bit like that unfamiliar series to Mexicans called NASCAR which Jourdain was the only Mexican who raced full time in, and only about 100,000 people showed up to the race the year he did the full schedule...
Old 2 Jul 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3101112)   #18
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ouch...
Old 3 Jul 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3101141)   #19
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
A bit like that unfamiliar series to Mexicans called NASCAR which Jourdain was the only Mexican who raced full time in, and only about 100,000 people showed up to the race the year he did the full schedule...
I suspect Nascar is not completely unfamiliar to Mexicans. Anyway, 100,000 turning up to a Nascar race because Michel Jourdain is racing in it? They must be really struggling.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 01:22 (Ref:3101145)   #20
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I suspect Nascar is not completely unfamiliar to Mexicans. Anyway, 100,000 turning up to a Nascar race because Michel Jourdain is racing in it? They must be really struggling.
Nope, but it also had Fernandez, Goeters and some other lesser known drivers. If you have a recording of the 2002 CART race, look what happens in the grandstands when Jourdain takes the lead, for a couple of laps during a pitstop cycle, you would have thought he had won the race. Put well-known Mexican drivers in the car like Fernandez, Jourdain, Rojas and Diaz including at least one full time, and you should have a great crowd in Mexico City.

Attendance did decrease with no full time driver in the series but for the final race they still had 57,000 people there, which is great for a BGN/Nationwide race.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 07:22 (Ref:3101172)   #21
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Nope, but it also had Fernandez, Goeters and some other lesser known drivers. If you have a recording of the 2002 CART race, look what happens in the grandstands when Jourdain takes the lead, for a couple of laps during a pitstop cycle, you would have thought he had won the race.
Fernandez I could understand. But I never thought Jourdain was a serious enough name. I have a vague memory of the '02 Mexico race, I think Kenny Brack won it.

Quote:
Put well-known Mexican drivers in the car like Fernandez, Jourdain, Rojas and Diaz including at least one full time, and you should have a great crowd in Mexico City.
Might as well have your own series instead.

Quote:
Attendance did decrease with no full time driver in the series but for the final race they still had 57,000 people there, which is great for a BGN/Nationwide race.
57,000 is great. Could it be that the novelty wore off as well? There's nothing to compare it to down here. The GP doesn't count, 100,000 turn up anyway.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 05:03 (Ref:3101649)   #22
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Put well-known Mexican drivers in the car like Fernandez, Jourdain, Rojas and Diaz including at least one full time, and you should have a great crowd in Mexico City.
True, but consider the V8 Supercars event could be public rich and well-functioning Mexico. Those drivers also Mexico would also be slightly younger guy named Salvador Duran.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3102707)   #23
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Ford Australia exists at the whim of it's parent company, Ford, so there is a bigger picture here.
Yeah, letting us sell Falcon as a niche car in the states would be substantial boon for AUS and not really affect Ford USA. (like they'd miss 400 a month).

As to a race in Mekico? probably worth having another event while they are over there.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 05:37 (Ref:3102714)   #24
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
I think the Falcon would sell in the U.S, if they advertise the heck out of it. (they have better marketing dept) something Ford Oz is lacking..
Old 12 Jul 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3105678)   #25
ramirezracing08
Rookie

ramirezracing08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
v8 Supercars Race at Mexico

Quote:
Well, I have to say that Mexicans are totally familiar with NASCAR. There's a regional championship from NASCAR USA called NASCAR Mexico which tours the whole country having the most competitive drivers such as Goeters mentioned before, Jose Luis Ramirez, Daniel Suarez, Antonio Perez (brother of Sergio Perez f1) and many others that have had the experience racing in regional championships in the US as well as Craftsman Truck Series and Nationwide. And let me say that all the races of this category (Nascar Mexico) are mostly sold out and you can see the stands quite full of people.

Although Mexicans are not very familiarised with the V8 Supercars, there's a big fanatism for motorsports in Mexico. Mexico has hosted the Word Rally Championship in other smaller cities rather than Mx City and other international races that have taken place here.

It would be a great opportunity for Mexican fans to experience a v8 Supercars race. Mexicans know about them, that's for sure, and it would be great to have Mexican drivers, Australian drivers and many more.

Take a look of this circuit in Puebla Mexico, would be interesting to have a v8 Supercars race here rather than the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez

Last edited by ramirezracing08; 12 Jul 2012 at 17:41. Reason: image not visible