Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Apr 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3528233)   #1
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrathall Racing Return

I'm sorry if this blurs the edges of what's acceptable on this forum but:

Does anyone else think that Frank Wrathall should be back racing, albeit in the Super Touring series rather than the BTCC, whilst he should still be in prison for killing someone due to careless driving (on his mobile phone)?

He's disqualified from driving on the roads for four years, yet he's free to continue racing. Absurd.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 14:17 (Ref:3528239)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I thought that if you lost your (road) driving licence you also lost your racing driving licence? (That was certainly the case years ago as I remember Gerry Marshall having to stop racing for a while as he was caught drink driving).
Old 17 Apr 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3528258)   #3
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I thought that if you lost your (road) driving licence you also lost your racing driving licence? (That was certainly the case years ago as I remember Gerry Marshall having to stop racing for a while as he was caught drink driving).
It certainly used to be a prerequisite years ago, but I have a feeling that for various reasons that it has been dropped. F1 drivers often had licences issued in different countries to get around the problem of being banned, whilst in the UK many drivers just failed to let the MSA know that they had been banned. And of course, we now have the hot topic of having an infant driving in F1 before he has even reached the age when he could apply for his first road licence.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3528406)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not that long ago, interstate truck drivers in Australia used to have several driving licences in a number of different states.

The logic for this was that the traffic licencing networks werent interconnected as they are now, meaning that any indiscretions for speeding or overweight travel or driving out of logbook hours or unroadworthy vehicles and stuff.. could be handled by paying a fine, but no demerit points would get attributed to the driver.

In Australia now, you have 13 demerit points available to you before your licence is cancelled.

Trucks & other commercial vehicles used to be registered in other states too, usually not the one you mostly traveled in, such that the vehicle's registration was never under threat as it was out of jurisdiction...

Thankfully modern technology caught up with all of that, with a licence or registration in one state practically national, and demerit points applied in one part, apply in all.

A behaviour modification...

In terms of racing without a road licence, a now-senior CAMS bod continued to race in V8Supercar quite successfully while his road licence was suspended for speeding round the Albert Park Lake grand prix circuit in Melbourne.

The racing & road licences seem to be massively disconnected, and while it helps bring embryos into F1.. there might be potential to hide some medical event that is listed on your road licence from your racing one. e.g. diabetes, night blindness, glasses required etc etc.

What should be done to create convergence?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Apr 2015, 13:53 (Ref:3530018)   #5
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

The racing & road licences seem to be massively disconnected, and while it helps bring embryos into F1.. there might be potential to hide some medical event that is listed on your road licence from your racing one. e.g. diabetes, night blindness, glasses required etc etc.
Unlikely. You have to have a medical done each year to apply for a racing licence. You don't need that for a road licence.
Old 22 Apr 2015, 15:39 (Ref:3530036)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Unlikely. You have to have a medical done each year to apply for a racing licence. You don't need that for a road licence.
The CAMS medical is done by an accredited doctor, not your local GP who in theory knows all of your ailments.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Apr 2015, 22:43 (Ref:3530613)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It depends what level of MSA licence you have if you require a yearly medical or not to be fair.
Old 25 Apr 2015, 09:26 (Ref:3530698)   #8
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The CAMS medical is done by an accredited doctor, not your local GP who in theory knows all of your ailments.
I haven't seen my GP for over a decade. I doubt he knows my name, let alone my ailments.