Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 23 Jul 2000, 17:25 (Ref:25031)   #1
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was anybody at Thruxton today?

The formula 2's were fantastic, very fast and loud plus a battle for the lead.

Also, the jag in the first race, which was VERY developed was a wonderful sight.
Old 24 Jul 2000, 15:33 (Ref:25241)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back in the seventies and early eighties, the Thruxton Easter meeting was the meeting to attend. The European F2 championship took over from the F5000 championship as the main attraction in about 1977. However the F5000 boys still raced at this meeting until about 1980.

Coincidentally I was talking to the BARC championship rep today who had never seen F2s before. She was surprised at how fast they were. I believe one of them broke the outright circuit record.

Apart from Warwick and Henton in the BP Tolemans (engines by Brian Hart), we got Roberto Moreno, Mark Thackwell in Ralts, Elio De Angelis, Marc Duez, Ricardo Patrese, plus many more. All of them racing as either up and coming drivers or F1 drivers on a day off.

BMW had the engine to beat. Marc Surer, in a March, was one of their drivers. Then along came Honda who tied up with Ralt and developed the V6 two litre engine which (I believe) was further developed into their F1 Turbo engine.

Then we'd get a BTCC round, with cars such as the Camaro, Capri, Dolomite and Martin and Robin Brundle pedalling Audi 80 Sports. Brundle M was partnered for one season by Stirling Moss!!!

I recall one meeting where they ran an all Ferrari sportscar race. That was the first time I saw the Ferrari Breadvan.

Another meeting had sports prototypes as a support race. Thats when I saw the Gulf Porsches race for the only time.

And to finish the day we got a round of the Wendy Wools Special Saloon Car Championship. That's when you could see the world's fastes racing Skoda.

What makes you think I liked those meetings?
Old 26 Jul 2000, 11:32 (Ref:25771)   #3
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always loved Formula 2 and was very upset when they replaced it with F3000 - which I always saw as a way of finding a market for all those DFV's. There was always a group of drivers who you KNEW would be in F1 soon, and I used to gain great pleasure in trying to pick out who they would be and then following their carrers in Grands Prix.
Does anybody know of any web sites or books which cover the European F2 championships?
Old 31 Jul 2000, 07:11 (Ref:27176)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to go to Spain, so had to miss it.. Real shame.

But all the reports were pretty good.