Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 May 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2458344)   #1
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Value For Money...

As the title says, "Value for Money", I thought it was fair to open a discussion point about how much admission cost last weekend.

$60 to get in, and another $20 for paddock access (to hopefully catch a fleeting glance of one of your hero's) seemed a bit steep, when there was almost more dead track time than the AGP.

Some of the race officials refer to it as " Hurry up & Wait ", and with only nine races for the day, with the 'Big' one being a TV spectacle, I for one now understand why the crowd was smaller than previous years.
Old 9 May 2009, 03:04 (Ref:2458367)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
is this the standard cost at every round ?

$60 is a bit steep and when you consider taking a family say 2 adults and 2 kids you have to think that will run you well up over $150, factor in fuel for getting to the track (im using Winton as an example because its my closest track) maybe another $25-$30 and then food (on the way from Albury to Winton you have to do a Macca's breakfast run , its tradition) then food at the track , plus a entry list , schedule magazine and then maybe if your lucky some merchandise.....

My god that would have run me up well over $300 for the weekend just to go see V8 Supercars !!!!

glad I stayed home and watched iton TV then.

Is that kind of pricing sustainable ???
Old 9 May 2009, 04:16 (Ref:2458378)   #3
NinnyMan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
NinnyMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the current economic climate one would think if promoters want people at the events then prices like that at Winton won't be sustainable. Asking people to pay $60 the get in the gate, then an extra $20 for pit access is disgraceful. I like Winton and I think it's important to have it in the Series, but charging punters that much is bordering on being "a-rip-off".

I know various people in charge at Winton frequent this site, so perhaps they could justify those prices for us???
Old 9 May 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2458573)   #4
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A 3 day Hot Pass for Hidden Valley is $70 which includes Pit Entry. I guess the event is heavily subsidised by Govt, however I believe there will be bands playing after Sat and Sunday.

Last year was Wolf mother on Sat.
Old 9 May 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2458812)   #5
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
I guess the event is heavily subsidised by Govt.
There is your answer.

Don't forget (and I have typed here many times) what those *******s at V8SC charge and fleece from track owners to bring the circus to town.

Tracks have to re-coup their outlay. What is it now to have them come to a circuit $700,000 to step foot on your track? it was $600,000 a couple of years ago, so it would have to be higher now, plus all the extras that go with putting an event like this on.
Old 10 May 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2459008)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
rachael i temde to agree

i was going to go up on saturday amd it was going to cost me $60 for the saturday

tickets for Sandown saturday are $30. thats i big difference for effectively the same thing (plus only 2 hours driveor a $28 train ticket from country victoria to it
Old 10 May 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2459018)   #7
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
I guess the event is heavily subsidised by Govt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
There is your answer.

Don't forget (and I have typed here many times) what those *******s at V8SC charge and fleece from track owners to bring the circus to town.

Tracks have to re-coup their outlay. What is it now to have them come to a circuit $700,000 to step foot on your track? it was $600,000 a couple of years ago, so it would have to be higher now, plus all the extras that go with putting an event like this on.
Value is in the eye of the beholder though isn't it. If I want to attend a V8 supercar event anywhere else but Darwin, it costs me a motsa in flights accommodation etc. I have been to Bathurst (twice) Clipsal, Oran Park and this year Townsville, I have no dramas paying whatever is required as it is MY choice to go. I can understand that for a family it is expensive however to me they are good value.

Sometimes if you wan to watch the best you pay for it.

Without the Govt subsidy I would be paying a motsa to attend ANY round.
Old 10 May 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2459040)   #8
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
I possibly need to clarify, my little rant was certainly not directed at Winton !

To go there every year, it is wonderful to see the improvements & additions to circuit infrastructure: (The new garages in the paddock area, for example) that benefit everyone who uses the venue all year (by the look of their calendar, the place is booked almost every weekend).

These facilities obviously come from the profit the promoter makes, but there is an element of risk/return, and if Big Trev's numbers ($700 large ???) is correct, I'll bet the Winton promoters were glad the previous weekend's dreadful cold and wet weather happened those seven days prior !

I suppose the difference is, all levels of the sport see the benefit of new infrastructure; unlike all those car clubs who don’t get to run track days at Adelaide, Albert Park, Hamilton, Townsville, Bathurst, Homebush etc.

If the rest of the year see's smaller crowds like last Sunday (woe betide Sandown & Phillip Island) will circuits have second thoughts for next year ?
Old 11 May 2009, 03:52 (Ref:2459723)   #9
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
That is ok Rach, I just get sick of people asking if anything is value for money when they are a $100 plane fare from most of the rounds. Up here in Red Neck Wonderland if it wasn't for the govt subsidies we would never see any major event, band or any other thing. Those in North Qld would agree.
So to me they are all value for money.
Old 11 May 2009, 06:06 (Ref:2459749)   #10
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
$100 plane fare. Plus $100 taxi each way or similar in parking; plus travel/car hire at other end, plus accom; plus food etc etc. So unless you are a local for an event what would your REAL budget be for, say, living in Sydney and attending Perth, Darwin, Townsville (how many changes of plane?? - even worse if you are from Perth, Tas...), Clipsal, Phillip Island or even Hamilton?

So yes - when you compare entry cost I guess it is 'value for money' - well, a hell 0of a lot cheaper than getting there and back.
Old 11 May 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2459775)   #11
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
If the rest of the year see's smaller crowds like last Sunday (woe betide Sandown & Phillip Island) will circuits have second thoughts for next year ?
I reckon you are on the money there Rach, if Winton (or others) don't make any money, then they would have to seriously look at not having them come to their tracks. They are not in business of going broke just so Tony has somewhere to take his circus.
Old 11 May 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2459841)   #12
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a time when Winton was going to be dropped everyone had a cry about it, now that Winton got it back because of that they are still having a cry

Fact is Winton payed to host the round and the price reflected the need to cover the costs. That in its self is a gamble in these times.

Big Trev harden up.
Old 11 May 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2459855)   #13
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
I remember a time when Winton was going to be dropped everyone had a cry about it, now that Winton got it back because of that they are still having a cry

Fact is Winton payed to host the round and the price reflected the need to cover the costs. That in its self is a gamble in these times.

Big Trev harden up.
Lets just hope then that the Hamilton City Council will see the folley of their ways and pulls the pin because of a cost blowout, and yes it is on the cards, my brother lives in Hamilton.
Old 11 May 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2459884)   #14
DJJ
Racer

Quote:
Lets just hope then that the Hamilton City Council will see the folley of their ways and pulls the pin because of a cost blowout, and yes it is on the cards, my brother lives in Hamilton.
The only way Hamilton will flop is because of the promoters. They don't have a good past.
Old 11 May 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2459889)   #15
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
I also rest my case
Old 11 May 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2459985)   #16
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post

Big Trev harden up.
DJJ, Big Trev probably does need to harden up, but please dont confuse my post's, or my associations.

My only association with Winton is that of a regular spectator, and a person who has a circle of friends that include a few competitors & officials.

I havn't seen Matthew, or Adam or Heather post in this thread, so I don't see any crying here.

I'm sure the promoter still turned a profit, but to me the crowd was clearly less than years past. ( although I now hear the booze sales have outstripped previous years, because of the warmer waether ?) so maybe it is swings & roundabouts.

My intent still remains, V8SA still have a potential problem on their hands, if crowds stay home to watch it on the telly, as Marcus (who lives in the target crowd catchment area for the Winton round) chose to do.(sorry Marcus, you are a perfect example)

For the sake of the series, I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come: but during hard times, a couple of slabs and some snags on a BBQ at home in front of the telly is far better value for half a dozen mates (or even three couples), than $480 in admission
Old 11 May 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2459990)   #17
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had to pay to get in, I would not go.
Old 12 May 2009, 01:20 (Ref:2460554)   #18
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to the ever optomistic V8 Supercar website the Winton attendance was UP this year. Having attended Winton V8 Rounds regularly over the years I find this rather surprising. It did not look like a very big crowd.

However the admission prices certainly make the AGP look good value, you get to see three V8 "races" and a World Championship event is thrown in!
Old 12 May 2009, 01:36 (Ref:2460559)   #19
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the subject of Hamilton. Whilst I enjoyed the weekend there, and found the track to be much better than I thought it would be, I still cannot understand the reasons for having the event there.

If they can only have 50,000 spectators, the same as they were getting at Pukekohe, and they can see a lot less than they could at Pukekohe (and they probably pay more to see less).

I think a lot of people are questioning the reasoning behind this event.The only people doing well out of it are local motels and restaurants (although most seemed fairly quiet this year) and of course, V8 Supercars Australia.

I say move it to the new Hampton Downs circuit.
Old 12 May 2009, 03:59 (Ref:2460585)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA View Post
If I had to pay to get in, I would not go.
Me too. I have never bought a ticket to a V8SC meeting, the show just isn't worth paying for. That said, i occasionally get free tickets and sometimes I use them.
Old 12 May 2009, 04:56 (Ref:2460593)   #21
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good discussion point.

I stopped attending when V8SC became the Chochrane Motorsport Event Spectacular... which was around the time they decided to charge $60 for entry to Sandown.
Old 18 May 2009, 01:28 (Ref:2464260)   #22
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
I note that the GA price for Tassie is $53, with an additional $15 for paddock admission.

One might ponder that the promoter V8 Supercar Events can price point this far lower than Winton, because the Series Organisor, V8 Supercars Australia is by sheer coincidence, their parent company, hence taking a slice of profit at two levels.

All that "Motorsports Tasmania" LINKY seem to end up with is some circuit hire dollars, and maybe food & drinks revenue ?

But if crowd numbers are down, at least the parent company ends up absorbing some of the potential loss.

Anyone care to predict a crowd figure for the Tassie round ?
Old 18 May 2009, 02:35 (Ref:2464270)   #23
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
Anyone care to predict a crowd figure for the Tassie round ?
Depends on whether you're counting bodies... or heads -
Old 18 May 2009, 06:19 (Ref:2464292)   #24
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Or will be it the mandatory 30,000 as declared by V8SCA when the track actually holds about 10,000 max.
Old 18 May 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2464357)   #25
DJJ
Racer

Quote:
Or will be it the mandatory 30,000 as declared by V8SCA when the track actually holds about 10,000 max.
Taken over 3 days as they are all done 3 times 10000 sounds about right.