Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Mar 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3720272)   #5226
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Exactly. Grand-Am/Rolex completely screwed him ... because he was beating the series favorites. Hopefully things have changed, though.
Actually, He wasn't beating the series favorites, but he still got got screwed by the whole debacle that resulted from Brumos winning Daytona.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3720285)   #5227
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Actually, He wasn't beating the series favorites, but he still got got screwed by the whole debacle that resulted from Brumos winning Daytona.
And they let Brumos win the series finale too as i recall .... just nothing in between. It was Hurley Haywood in for J.C. France (who had the good sense to race his Lamborghini while drunk, with cocaine in a bag on the front seat)

Haywood got to win his last race, Gainsco beat Pruett's team for the title, and the Verizon Porsche only even got close once. I missed the Rolex that year but saw the finale at Homestead.

Glad to see Hurley Haywood win, but not even Brumos colors could make a Gen 2 DP look good.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3720298)   #5228
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
And they let Brumos win the series finale too as i recall .... just nothing in between.
Nope. Though they partially rolled back the bad BoP midseason, the only other Porsche win that season came from Penske in round 3 at New Jersey, a track where the lost revs and gear wouldn't have hurt as much as at the bulk of the season's races.

This did have the unfortunate result of delaying the BoP rollback, and possibly the decision to make it only partial. It was clear to anyone with a brain that the "advantage" Brumos had at Daytona was nothing more than a different setup, but GA dropped the ball hard on it.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:03 (Ref:3720301)   #5229
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It was clear to anyone with a brain that the "advantage" Brumos had at Daytona was nothing more than a different setup, but GA dropped the ball hard on it.
Au contraire. Nothing more my eye.
The official declaration was 12 pounds underweight but did not take away the win. (However, I heard from an insider in another class that it was really closer to 150 lbs, actually. 'Couldn't take away the good PR for a Donohue win on the 40th anniversary. )

jimclark
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:16 (Ref:3720303)   #5230
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Au contraire. Nothing more my eye.
The official declaration was 12 pounds underweight but did not take away the win. (However, I heard from an insider in another class that it was really closer to 150 lbs, actually. 'Couldn't take away the good PR for a Donohue win on the 40th anniversary. )
The 2009 event? Yeah... Sure...

If it was just the Brumos car being underweight, then why did Grand Am take away sixth gear and 1,000 RPM from EVERY Porsche engined DP? That's not something you do just because one car was underweight.

The BoP was made because Ganassi whined about the fact that the Brumos car was pulling away on the banking at the end of the straight, ignoring the fact that Ganassi caught up EASILY on the infield sections, but just couldn't quite make the pass. It was very clear they just had a lower-downforce setting at play.

Grand Am dropped the ball on BoP HARD with that move.

BTW, correction to my results comments: I misread the results I was looking at. When I listed Penske as having won a race, I was unknowingly look at a list of POLE POSITIONS, not race wins. Brumos did indeed win the finale - the only other Porsche win that season, coming well after the partial rollback of the BoP.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3720307)   #5231
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The 2009 event? Yeah... Sure...

If it was just the Brumos car being underweight, then why did Grand Am take away sixth gear and 1,000 RPM from EVERY Porsche engined DP? That's not something you do just because one car was underweight.
Don't blow a headgasket. I said none of the above. Reading comprehension is key.

jimclark
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:33 (Ref:3720308)   #5232
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Don't blow a headgasket. I said none of the above. Reading comprehension is key.
Your post implied that the underweight car was the only thing that came to be an issue after the race.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:38 (Ref:3720311)   #5233
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Try again. No it does not.

Au contraire again. The key sentence was: "Nothing more my eye."

Again, comprehension is key. Not ego.

jimclark
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:45 (Ref:3720313)   #5234
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Try again. No it does not.

Au contraire again. The key sentence was: "Nothing more my eye."

Again, comprehension is key. Not ego.
I comprehended just fine. Unfortunately, you're ignoring the entire point I was making.

And yes, your comments DO imply a belief that there was no other issue going on.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3720314)   #5235
jimclark
Veteran

United States
No I am not. 'Just adding more info.

Shouldn't have to but I'll clarify. You stated that "It was clear to anyone with a brain that the "advantage" Brumos had at Daytona was nothing more than a different setup". I took that into account when I stated "Nothing more my eye."
Get it yet? No? Did you notice the wink smiley?

Leave your ego on the trailer.

None of it is that important to me anymore. I won't plunk down money to attend artificially induced excitement. 'Til and if real racing comes back I'll just sit back and watch and wait.

jimclark
Old 21 Mar 2017, 00:18 (Ref:3720317)   #5236
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:

Shouldn't have to but I'll clarify. You stated that "It was clear to anyone with a brain that the "advantage" Brumos had at Daytona was nothing more than a different setup". I took that into account when I stated "Nothing more my eye."

None of it is that important to me anymore. I won't plunk down money to attend artificially induced excitement. 'Til and if real racing comes back I'll just sit back and watch and wait.
Not telling me anything I didn't notice, and I've already pointed out that the notion doesn't hold up.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 00:22 (Ref:3720318)   #5237
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

"Time out everyone....

Methinks misunderstanding is afoot. (I'm glad I'm on the outside of this one for a change )"

Just when you thought you were out, they pulled you back in...
Old 21 Mar 2017, 00:31 (Ref:3720319)   #5238
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 21 Mar 2017, 01:42 (Ref:3720329)   #5239
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

It won't.

You're gonna save a whole bunch.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 02:22 (Ref:3720332)   #5240
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great talk about grand am history guys, but lets get back on topic.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3720363)   #5241
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
"Time out everyone....

Methinks misunderstanding is afoot. (I'm glad I'm on the outside of this one for a change )"

Just when you thought you were out, they pulled you back in...

jimclark
Old 21 Mar 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3720375)   #5242
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Great talk about grand am history guys, but lets get back on topic.
Given the subject matter it revolves around, I could easily argue that it was relevant to the topic, but I won't push it. I've frankly said all that needs to be said anyway, so I shall indeed move on.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3720431)   #5243
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even if Penske hadn't gotten burned in 2009 (for Whatever reason) I'd think he'd be leery about joining WSC just based on the race-by-race BoP crap they pulled last year.

Penske does usually bring boatloads of money---but he also brings boatloads of expertise and experience. It makes no sense for him to bring a good car, make it the best (a la Cadillacs) and then have it sent to the back because he is successful.

So far this year it hasn't happened ... but then, the Golden Boys have been winning. The big manufacturer money and the house teams have been running up front solidly.

Penske has to wonder what would happen if he soundly kicked Cadillac butt for three races in a row. In the old days (last year) that might mean total readjustment ("Well, look, we promised Laguna Seca to Mazda, and they cut us a fat check, so ....)

I think and hope that IMSA can keep its hands off the cars for the rest of the season and just let whoever wins, wins. That might help reassure Penske that he will be allowed to win if actually brings the fastest cars and drivers with the best crews.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3720458)   #5244
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Not telling me anything I didn't notice, and I've already pointed out that the notion doesn't hold up.
What "notion" do you refer to?

You said the only reason they won was setup. I said the only thing my eye, (as in that's not the only thing). They were also officially found underweight. Where's the "notion". These are all facts. Is english not your first language?

jimclark
Old 21 Mar 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3720460)   #5245
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
'Til and if real racing comes back I'll just sit back and watch and wait.
And stand outside track gates claiming to cry about how much better it used to be.

It's hard to tell if you're a real person anymore, because it's the same posts every year around this time.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3720461)   #5246
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
What "notion" do you refer to?

You said the only reason they won was setup. I said the only thing my eye, (as in that's not the only thing). They were also officially found underweight. Where's the "notion". These are all facts. Is english not your first language?
I could elaborate on what you're missing here, but we've been told to drop it. So I'm dropping it.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3720640)   #5247
Maelochs
Veteran

Sometimes this place reminds me of an IndyCar site, where everyone lives in the past, and everyone’s favorite era is the only “Real” IndyCar racing, and was far and away the best. IndyCar fans spent so much time living in the past they nearly lost the actual series which (shocking news to many) exists in the present.

Surprise, surprise, once some IndyCar fans started appreciating the rpesent, the series started to do better financially and was able to make small improvements—a long way from what fans ultimately want (I think we all want Can-Am back) but steps in the right direction.

We have the opportunity to do the same here with sports cars.

The old guys can just walk into the room and start spraying urine in every direction, because that’s all any part of sports car racing is good for any more, compared to the glorious past (by which they mean either when they were nine and impressed by the cars and simply didn’t know about the politics, which has always been there, or some later age, usually late teens to early twenties, where they have chosen to forget all the politics, the dull races, the two-thirds of the grid filled with cars unlikely to finish and totally without a chance to win.)

The people who grew up watching sports cars on TV have forgotten that for most of its history, “sports car racing” was sitting on a hillside overlooking two corners and waiting, and “Timing and Scoring” was your pen and notebook.

people who complain about the lack of close finishes (who also complain about artificial close finishes) forget that in the various “Golden Eras” it was not unusual for the top three cars to each be three laps apart. That was “The Real Stuff’ but somehow a 13-second margin of victory after 12 hours is just too much. The race sucked.

People who find that they are no longer as interested in racing shouldn’t keep trying to find interest here. Take a break. YouTube old races. Get together with other people who dimly remember some imaginary perfect pass and you can all p!$$ on the present together. It’ll be fun!

We all can pretty much figure what kind of season this will be. There is a range of possibilities, sure ... IMSA could go heavy-handed and frequent with BoP, teams could drop out .... or, it could be “Which Cadillac?” or every other team might suddenly find the answers and we might have the whole field in each class GTLM-close.

GTL—who knows? Maybe Ford won’t get all the BoP breaks. Maybe Corvette and Porsche will find the right set-ups. it is hard to beat a bespoke prototype in a GT, though .... Reminds me of NASCAR in the ‘60s when manufacturers were building “specials” with giant engines and slick bodywork.

Anyway .... for those who have not figured it out, there will Never be “The Perfect Race” unless it has already happened and you have videotape. otherwise, we all have to live in dirty reality, full of compromises.

There is a fine line here, between criticizing with an eye towards improving, and using racing as a target for all of life’s disappointments.

We had a da**ed good race last Saturday (and Friday as well.) It was not perfect but it was a good race.

None of us are going to be happier because we refuse to enjoy what is there, just because it is not perfect.

I'd say more except for that Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 14:14 (Ref:3720651)   #5248
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Sometimes this place reminds me of an IndyCar site, where everyone lives in the past, and everyone’s favorite era is the only “Real” IndyCar racing, and was far and away the best. IndyCar fans spent so much time living in the past they nearly lost the actual series which (shocking news to many) exists in the present.

Surprise, surprise, once some IndyCar fans started appreciating the rpesent, the series started to do better financially and was able to make small improvements—a long way from what fans ultimately want (I think we all want Can-Am back) but steps in the right direction.

We have the opportunity to do the same here with sports cars.

The old guys can just walk into the room and start spraying urine in every direction, because that’s all any part of sports car racing is good for any more, compared to the glorious past (by which they mean either when they were nine and impressed by the cars and simply didn’t know about the politics, which has always been there, or some later age, usually late teens to early twenties, where they have chosen to forget all the politics, the dull races, the two-thirds of the grid filled with cars unlikely to finish and totally without a chance to win.)

The people who grew up watching sports cars on TV have forgotten that for most of its history, “sports car racing” was sitting on a hillside overlooking two corners and waiting, and “Timing and Scoring” was your pen and notebook.

people who complain about the lack of close finishes (who also complain about artificial close finishes) forget that in the various “Golden Eras” it was not unusual for the top three cars to each be three laps apart. That was “The Real Stuff’ but somehow a 13-second margin of victory after 12 hours is just too much. The race sucked.

People who find that they are no longer as interested in racing shouldn’t keep trying to find interest here. Take a break. YouTube old races. Get together with other people who dimly remember some imaginary perfect pass and you can all p!$$ on the present together. It’ll be fun!

We all can pretty much figure what kind of season this will be. There is a range of possibilities, sure ... IMSA could go heavy-handed and frequent with BoP, teams could drop out .... or, it could be “Which Cadillac?” or every other team might suddenly find the answers and we might have the whole field in each class GTLM-close.

GTL—who knows? Maybe Ford won’t get all the BoP breaks. Maybe Corvette and Porsche will find the right set-ups. it is hard to beat a bespoke prototype in a GT, though .... Reminds me of NASCAR in the ‘60s when manufacturers were building “specials” with giant engines and slick bodywork.

Anyway .... for those who have not figured it out, there will Never be “The Perfect Race” unless it has already happened and you have videotape. otherwise, we all have to live in dirty reality, full of compromises.

There is a fine line here, between criticizing with an eye towards improving, and using racing as a target for all of life’s disappointments.

We had a da**ed good race last Saturday (and Friday as well.) It was not perfect but it was a good race.

None of us are going to be happier because we refuse to enjoy what is there, just because it is not perfect.

I'd say more except for that Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed.
Yaddi, yaddi, yaddi.....

jimclark
Old 22 Mar 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3720675)   #5249
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Maelochs, I'm gonna disagree with you a little bit there. Any race I've been to, when the sun is setting as I'm stretched out on a hill or viewing mound and a breeze gives me a little cool air after walking around a track all day in the hot sun as sexy cars go by loudly as I try and figure out exactly what battles are left and what is the closest class to pay special attention to, is a form of a "perfect race" to me.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3720679)   #5250
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To quote the late great Merle Haggard

"I think we're livin' in the good old days
So cheer up friends and be glad
I think we're livin' in the good old days
The best anybody's ever had."