Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Rockingham / Knockhill or Tesside?
Rockingham 15 65.22%
Knockhill 5 21.74%
Tesside 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Jul 2003, 23:05 (Ref:659769)   #1
ashley 19
Rookie

ashley 19 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham/Knockhill/Teesside

2004 BTCC to include British GP support
The BTCC is expected to once again become a support race at the British Grand Prix, according to a provisional 2004 calendar unveiled this week. The schedule again sees 10 meetings with an additional non-championship event running alongside the Grand Prix.

The season starts on Easter weekend at Thruxton, taking in the CART support meeting at Brands Hatch three weeks later and ending at Donington in September.

Knockhill, which was controversially dropped from the calendar this year, could also return. Series Director Alan Gow is keen to return to the Scottish track and has earmarked the June 27th date for either Knockhill / Rockingham and Tesside

The calendar remains provisional at this stage, with the British GP date subject to FOM approval.

2004 BTCC dates
April 10/11 Thruxton
May 1/2/3 Brands Hatch (CART support)
May 15/16 Silverstone
May 30/31 Oulton Park
June 12/13 Mondello Park
June 26/27 Rockingham / Knockhill and Teesside
July 9/10/11 British GP, Silverstone (non-championship)
July 24/25 Croft
August 21/22 Brands Hatch
September 4/5 Snetterton
September 18/19 Donington Park
Old 13 Jul 2003, 07:09 (Ref:659881)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of those-why not Cadwell Park?
Old 13 Jul 2003, 13:50 (Ref:660024)   #3
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where the hell did you get the Teesside thing from? The callender was out about a month ago and there are no teeside plans!
Old 13 Jul 2003, 15:26 (Ref:660045)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Where the hell did you get the Teesside thing from? The callender was out about a month ago and there are no teeside plans!
I think he means Croft,where the cars are racing at this moment! It is near Teeside.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 16:29 (Ref:660068)   #5
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woudln't that be pointless if Croft is already on the callendar though?

Besides the choice is Rockingham or Knockhill anyway.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 17:32 (Ref:660104)   #6
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can tell you where teeside comes from, since the calender was announced there has been plans to turn a go-kart track near Middlesborough into a national car racing circuit, of about 1.3miles.

Or it could be one of these street races that have been mentioned. Me thinks either possible is unlikely, and I believe that we will see a return to Rockingham.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:15 (Ref:662219)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the series goes back to Rockingham in 2004, the two races there this year were two of the best all season.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 16:06 (Ref:662972)   #8
david_james2000
Rookie

david_james2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
None of those-why not Cadwell Park?
Cadwell park isn’t up to BTCC standards according to Alan Gow, and Teesside part yes there are extending the existing langbarough go kart track to F3 standard to running cars, races but there are plans to redevelop a disused run way at Teesside airport to a 2mile race track.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 16:46 (Ref:663013)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Why ? when they already have Croft. The full name of the village from which it got its name is Croft-on-Tees.From watching the TV coverage on Sunday,I would say its the best airfield we have-trees are even growing! As to a converted go kart track -might just as well race inside the Birmingham NEC.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 17:28 (Ref:663046)   #10
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its has to be Rockingham. Its the best track in the country.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 18:48 (Ref:663139)   #11
Jamie P-E
Racer

Jamie P-E is a back marker
I've raced round Langbourgh in a Pro-Kart a couple of years ago and the place is a DIVE!!!!! I wouldn't go there again even if someone payed me!!!

Jamie
Old 16 Jul 2003, 18:59 (Ref:663158)   #12
Reido Rules
Veteran

Langbourgh area is meant to be going through redevelopment. But anything that's close to Middlesborough is harly going to be classy. (My roots are there, so I am allowed to say that)

I didn't know about the teeside airport plan, My only memory of it is when they had a DC-10 land there (before upgrade) and they couldn't actually park it anywhere so it had to take take off and land at Newcastle after some rather comical attempts to accomodate it.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 01:00 (Ref:663474)   #13
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why TWO Brands Hatch, yet Rockingham and Knockhill have to go head to head for a slot.....fair?? :confused: ]

Hopefully at least ONE of the BH rounds will be on the full grand prix course, the Indy circuit leaves me cold!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 06:09 (Ref:663591)   #14
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the btcc series is "owned" by bmp, a group of circuit owners, there is no logical reason for holing a race on a street circuit, even if one was avalable. Remember that the Birmingham street circuit was opposed by the circuit owners several years ago.

The probable explanation for the second Brands Hach round is that Octagan/BHC had a controlling interest on the board of bmp, a situation that was is not good for the sport.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 06:37 (Ref:663603)   #15
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing how ridiculously easy some people are put in a spin ...

For Teesside read Croft (which is already down on the calendar so what Ashley is talking about I've got no idea).

Ashley: the GP support race was announced almost a month ago.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 07:03 (Ref:663613)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex
Amazing how ridiculously easy some people are put in a spin ...

For Teesside read Croft (which is already down on the calendar so what Ashley is talking about I've got no idea).

Ashley: the GP support race was announced almost a month ago.
I guess he is talking about one of the unnecessary projects mentioned by davidjames above.AFAIK they have not been mentioned by TOCA so are not in the frame and would be unlikely to be ready for next season anyway. I would have thought anyone living in Middlesborough should have no difficulty getting to Croft?
Old 17 Jul 2003, 09:54 (Ref:663685)   #17
david_james2000
Rookie

david_james2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie P-E
I've raced round Langbourgh in a Pro-Kart a couple of years ago and the place is a DIVE!!!!! I wouldn't go there again even if someone payed me!!!

Jamie
The only reason for it been a bit of a DIVE is that the council owned the land, the council's mail building was right in front of the track and some local old people complained about the noise but now the council have sold the land off and there now have planning permission to redevelop the site and the surrounding land (which there now owen). I've seen the plans(not the one in autosport) and it look quite a classy track. I dont think there looking at running the BTCC there anyway, there look more at FFord, TCAR and the northen saloon championship.
Anyway the way thing are going we might loss a few tarck with the sell off of BHC so we should try to support any new tracks that are been proposed no matter where there are.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 16:03 (Ref:664067)   #18
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham was great, gets my vote.

I think two visits to brands is only worthwhile if they use the grand prix circuit for the second visit, if not then one visit to brands and one at knockhill

The rises and falls of the knockhill track make it a proper spectacle to watch.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 17:18 (Ref:664130)   #19
Reido Rules
Veteran

The landscape of Knockhill decieves, the curb hopping etc make you think you're watching a super race. As Yvan Muller says, Knockhill has no real overtaking oppurtunities, esp when compared with Rockingham. I know that a good race involves proper overtaking, and the view of the Vauxhall drivers is that it presents nothing more than a swift half in terms of opportunity, if the lumps and bumps were what I wanted I'd go and see the BRC.

Knockhill v Rockingham- for racing, it has to be Rockingham!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 17:35 (Ref:664144)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to own up and say that I was surprised how well Rockingham raced, I thought the infied circuit would be a bit follow the leader.

However the last time I checked BTCC stood for British Touring Car Championship not English (and one race weekend in the Republic of Ireland !!!!) Touring car championship.

Let's ditch one of the Brands rounds why the hell should it have two anyway?
That way we can have both Rockingham AND Knockhill on the calander.

That way the thousands of Scots motorsports fans like me can get a chance to see the action in person next year!

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 17 Jul 2003 at 17:38.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 00:22 (Ref:665959)   #21
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham for sure it was great facilities and a great view. I know its my local race but perhaps Snetterton should go.