Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Jul 2004, 20:37 (Ref:1037595)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Menu going to Oz?

I'm placing here due to the more 'European based' nature of Alain Menu's fan base, the Aussie V8 Supercar bit may warrant a move to the Aussie TC forum, I'll let someone else decide that fate.

Alain Menu has competed in his first test for the Australian V8 Supercar series with a test for the FPV Racing team (Ford Falcons).

No confirmation of a move or even solid interest in one yet.

Quote:
Alain Menu -"I'm fairly pleased with my first FPR test. It was very interesting to drive and trying to understand the characteristics of the car, as it is very different to what I am used to. It took a while to get up to speed and even now I am not completely up to speed with these cars as I struggled a bit with the brakes - that was my main problem. There is definitely a few tricks to driving these cars and you certainly need to be very sensitive with throttle and steering input. Overall I had a very good test, I am very pleased with the team and while some more laps would have been great, the team had some important testing to carry out and that was their primary goal.
link to full article at the V8 website
Old 15 Jul 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1037610)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
One of my crews was working at Mr Menu's house this last week and were told he was away in Australia. When we asked what he was up to over there we were told he was testing with a view to running at Bathurst this year. Not sure if he's signed up for that yet or whether he will be looking to expand on it for 05... I feel a courtesy follow-up call coming on to make sure he is a happy customer... and it'd be rude not to enquire what he is hoping to do next year
Old 15 Jul 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1037647)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In that case, with Plato, Muller & Alzen already lined up with drives at Bathurst - looks like there already is a race of champions going on over there
Old 15 Jul 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1037668)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Menu is linked to the main seat at FPR in Australia next season, when incumbent Craig Lowndes sees sense and moves to a pukka team!

It is likely he will share Lowndes' car in the 2 endurance races too....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Jul 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1037670)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
For those who haven't been following the news, Plato will be partnering Aussie Touring car legend Peter Brock, who is coming out of retirement (again) to drive the works Holden.

Muller is joining Paul Radisich in the Triple Eight-run Fords.

Menu, as we've already said is in the (Prodrive owned) Ford Performance Racing Falcon.

Not forgetting of course John Cleland who will be back again in the Brad Jones/Ozemail Ford.

Other ex-BTCC drivers are David Brabham and Craig Baird.

Sadly the clashing ETCC race in Dubai rules Andy Priaulx out this year.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 23:51 (Ref:1037741)   #6
Arai GP5
Racer

Arai GP5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and British F3 refugee, Aussie Will Davison is scouting around for a drive, and if you believe the noise I'm hearing, he's about to push a regular driver out of his seat for the Sandown/Bathurst enduros.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 00:22 (Ref:1038721)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i would sign will davison over alain menu for a full drive in 05..... why didnt menu shine in dtm
Old 17 Jul 2004, 01:29 (Ref:1038737)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Can I ask who Alzen is and what team is he linked to ?

I havent seen his name pop up on the Oz front as yet (that I know of anyway)
Old 17 Jul 2004, 09:45 (Ref:1038866)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I assume it's a typo.

The only person I can think of is Uwe Alzen - ex DTM now driving a Saleem in the FIA GT championship. Haven't seen any mention of him going to Bathurst and as the GTs are in Dubai that weekend it seems unlikely.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1038876)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uwe Alzen was around at the Bathurst 24hrs last year, with a 911 Carrera Cup that finished 4th outright.... although he wasnt mentioned in regards to a V8Supercar team, there is some mountain experience there
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1038905)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
alzen / entry list link

However, I did misread it slightly. It does only say that Juergen Alzen so far will be competing, in the Vitaphone Porsche 996 they presumably ran at Nurburgring.

Uwe would have to be at Dubai in the Saleen you're right.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1038929)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Makes sense now- we're talking about Jurgen Alzen's Porsche at the 24 hours, rather than Jurgen Alzen driving a V8 in the 1000
Old 17 Jul 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1038960)   #13
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Makes sense now- we're talking about Jurgen Alzen's Porsche at the 24 hours, rather than Jurgen Alzen driving a V8 in the 1000
Yeah whoops. Sorry about that.

Though my original statement sort of still works, I got it wrong. Menu, Muller & Plato on the track at the same time, hooray!...

P.S. Alzen will also drive the 24hr a month later Hopefully he'll do better there than at Nurburgring. The BMW Schnitzers (M3-GTR Coupé's) may show as well...see earlier link.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1041309)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
plus the 550 Ferrari, local Lamborghini. Hopefully should be quite a race.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1041321)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On topic, Alain often does the enduros, but I can't see him making a full time move down under.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1041585)   #16
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
A years holiday in the Supercars shouldn't be too bad, with a fair drive and nothing else on the plate.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1041745)   #17
sukispeed
Rookie

United States
San Antonio, TX
sukispeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see him in one of those new Aston Martins.
And we all know he has been driving for Prodrive since 1999 in a Mondeo.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 00:57 (Ref:1041790)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last time he was here in 2000 he was the most impressive of the imports at Bathurst.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1041808)   #19
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
atm it is a very high possibility that Mr Menu will be here in Oz full time in 2005 for Prodrive Ford Performance Racing. For those who dont know FPR is sposed to be the Ford works or as we say factory team here, but it is a bit of joke as it is constantly overshadowed by other Ford teams such as Stone Brothers Racing (2003 Champions) and Triple 8's Supercar team too, Team Betta Electrical.
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 21 Jul 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1042383)   #20
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hey, the HRT team is being beaten fairly consistently by some of the PWR & Catrol Perkins drivers too for the Holden marque.

Doesn't seem that 'works' team stands for much in V8's