Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Nov 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1457641)   #51
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must start adding "smoke-free" to my listings if it makes that much of a difference! Not being a smoker myself, it never occurred to me before.

Has anyone noticed that serious motor sport books struggle a bit on eBay? A trading acquaintance took something of a bath the other day on a Joel Finn Maserati Birdcage book. It struggled to about £85 and should have pulled in half as much again in the trade. I myself have scored a beautiful pre-war example of Hans Stuck's "Motoring Sport" for just £36 with an almost mint dustwrapper. That sort of thing just shouldn't happen - although I'm scarcely complaining!
Old 10 Nov 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1457721)   #52
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this is the point about ebay, Tim; people are looking for bargains and getting them. They won't bid up to the amount the item will fetch elsewhere, because it partly defeats the object. Last year I obtained a very nice copy of John Wyer's 'The Certain Sound' for £90 when it would normally fetch £110-£120. I also know, to my cost that some of the dealers buy on ebay. I lost an Aston book, also last year, to a dealer, in a bidding contest and then bought it off him. Because I was an old customer of his, he sold it to me at only a small profit when he would normally have marked it up at nearly double what he paid for it. So it's a source for the dealers as well.

(Must make a note to look after my copy of Joel Finn's book!)
Old 10 Nov 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1457734)   #53
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm coming out of the closet as an ebayer...I made £800 last month, selling mainly model car kits and CD's. I am currently considering selling my collection of autographed 1/18 scale F1 cars and I have sold a fair few motoring books as well. I'm actually getting to the point of considering setting up a full time business and letting my wife run it.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1458111)   #54
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Books are difficult to shift on ebay because of their weight making postage costs high; at least that's what I found. That maybe another part of the answer to Peter's comment above.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1464884)   #55
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When do you leave feedback, before or after the other person?

I do it staight away, when the person has paid or the goods turn up.
The wife waits until the other leaves there feedback..
Old 19 Nov 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1464918)   #56
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
As a buyer, I tend to put feedback on straightaway. I haven't done any selling for over a year and cannot recall whether I took a different approach by awaiting the buyers feedback, but it seems likely.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1467464)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I'm selling, I wait for the buyer to post his/her feedback first. Although I'm still at 100%, I like to preserve the right to reply...... If I'm buying, I post as soon as I've received (and checked out) the item.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1467640)   #58
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Up until very recently, if I was buying I only ever got feedback once I had left feedback. In the past several months though, sellers have left me feedback as soon as I paid them, which I think should be the way it is.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1468211)   #59
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This may be the wrong thread but if I choose to have a clearout of race programmes (1970's & 1980's I think) in the New Year what would be the correct place to offer them to ten-tenthers before ebay ?
Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1468237)   #60
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
... sellers have left me feedback as soon as I paid them, which I think should be the way it is.
I agree, as a buyer you should be judged on your communication and payment. The seller shouldn't hold your well earned feedback ransom until you leave him a positive.

I'm not very active on eBay, I bought some R/C car related stuff in the past and lately I'm shopping for model cars and kits. I finally got my hands on a Minichamps 1998 Ferrari F300 "Tower Wing" E.Irvine for pretty much retail price while most others are sold for US$50 and up.

I also won auctions for four 1/43 Tameo kits, among those (Alesi's) Canadian GP Ferrari 412T2. Also a 1/12 Tamiya 1979 Ferrari 312T4. I won't be bored this winter!
Old 29 Nov 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1473293)   #61
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre
This may be the wrong thread but if I choose to have a clearout of race programmes (1970's & 1980's I think) in the New Year what would be the correct place to offer them to ten-tenthers before ebay ?

Perhaps there should be a classified section along the lines of the one in the Racer's Forum.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1478360)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its been discussed before, but (for reasons I can no longer recall) was not thought appropriate.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1478361)   #63
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
My recent purchases include:-

Ladies 3/4 length leather jacket - virtually new - £10
2700 Mah battery for my camcorder - £10 instead of £35
Air horn (for my hockey matches!)
50 Red Datawrite DVD-R for a ridiculously cheap price........
Old 6 Dec 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1478376)   #64
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A general eBay query:

Has anyone tried changing the master email on their account? And if so, have you been confronted with a screen asking you to submit all credit card details again?

I'm a bit anxious about doing so as it seems far more than just a normal security check to prove that the change of email is legitimate.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1478941)   #65
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Don,t see why not there,s a racer,s classified section?
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1482542)   #66
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
A general eBay query:

Has anyone tried changing the master email on their account? And if so, have you been confronted with a screen asking you to submit all credit card details again?

I'm a bit anxious about doing so as it seems far more than just a normal security check to prove that the change of email is legitimate.
I reckon that it's eBay making sure that it's you changing the address and not somebody else who happened to get you log-in details somehow.. I appreciate that you will have a valid reason for wanting to change email address but, at the end of the day, it's having a long standing email address on eBay that is the basis of building your feedback and that's why eBay will chack, I guess..
Old 9 Jul 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1651257)   #67
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Got three hours left on 25 auctions which I was forced to list to pay for getting a little carried away the other week buying a 1:18 model on eBay! Currently only eight items are going to sell but that should cover 70% of my carriedawayness...

I have hardly ever sold on eBay before so fingers crossed that a few more bidders step up before the end of play!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1652199)   #68
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i did think about ebaying some extra red bulletins that i picked up at the monaco and silverstone gps, but they're not fetching very much at the moment so i might hoard them until the off season and see what the score is then
Old 10 Jul 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1652405)   #69
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm I binned mine in the paper bin, being environmentally friendly and all that lark..
Old 10 Jul 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1652847)   #70
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nah, they're hot property amongst the red bull fangirls for one. it's all about wanting to belong or something. it was more interesting than the programme, from what i can gather...
Old 10 Jul 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1652850)   #71
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is not difficult.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1653520)   #72
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It's a strange old thing this whole deal about collecting things, isn't it. I always buy a race programme from the bigger meetings I attend such as Le Mans, a GP, Goodwood, Nascar, Champcar, etc. but I very rarely read them
for the reason above... why is that?
Old 11 Jul 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1653723)   #73
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I buy them too. And they don't get read, as what is inside is generally rubbish.

Take the British GP programmes. £10 each and yet they are full of crap and add nothing to my life. They are the same every year in their content and layout. And apparently they are the same worldwide.

Absolute nonsense, but I still buy. I need help.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1655414)   #74
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i think it's something to do with having a souvenir. that's certainly why i hoarde red bulletins. instead of begging/borrowing/stealing a programme from most national racing i tend to collect timesheets, because those inevitably tell me more about a meeting than a programme would.

for what its worth, the monaco gp programme this year was 10 *euros*. i think we are, as per usual, overcharged slightly for the privelege.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1655445)   #75
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
If you ask me, 10 *euros* is overcharging... but I still buy the damn things!