Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Oct 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3462864)   #26
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Unusual timing for this news around Bathurst weekend, if indeed it all turns out to be true. It's sort of like they wanted to throw a spanner into the works of all the Ford teams still running. Not good for morale.

If that statement means that he'd buy it out, $$h!tcan the V8's, replace it with a Blancpain style pro/am GT series of sprint and enduros........HAPPY DAYS
............but not likely
There are enough GT championships as it is already IMHO. The V8 SuperCars is currently a pretty unique series that offers some of the hardest and closest racing on the planet. It'd be somewhat boring to have it replaced by yet another GT championship.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 10:20 (Ref:3462896)   #27
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Ford's total silence on the FPR/Penske FGX reveal and no rebuttal to this just worries me.

If you you were planning on supporting someone, surely you can't "discuss it after the season is over". Sounds to me like Ford are stringing everybody along to pull the pin at the end of the season.

Lets not forget Ford was out of ATCC racing from what 1979 to 1993?
Ford may not have their own budget confirmed out of the US yet so that may be why they can't publicly say "yes"or say "no" - that is one of the problems with one-year agreements.

It does feel like the stories may be true though, given that Ford has had absolutely nothing to say publicly about it all.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3462925)   #28
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
James Phelps article......can we wait for the facts before reacting.
what he said
Old 10 Oct 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3462942)   #29
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford always commit to the committed....take Moffat for example, being asked to sell his Chev Monza in exchange for FDT backing in 1977; or DJ being matched $ for $ in donations in 1980. Or putting their money behind FPR until their gutsy win in 2013.

Winners choose Ford, everything else follows.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3462946)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Ford always commit to the committed....
Triple 8 and DJR in 2009?
Old 10 Oct 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3462953)   #31
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ford's total silence on the FPR/Penske FGX reveal and no rebuttal to this just worries me.

If you you were planning on supporting someone, surely you can't "discuss it after the season is over". Sounds to me like Ford are stringing everybody along to pull the pin at the end of the season.

Lets not forget Ford was out of ATCC racing from what 1979 to 1993?
In terms of officially backing cars, they were out from the end of 1973 until the start of 1999.

However in between they heavily backed Allan Moffat, and also Dick Johnson, Glenn Seton, Kent Youlden, Ken Douglas etc..
Old 10 Oct 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3463096)   #32
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I would like to see someone ask supercars if Ford are allowed to race the Mustang from 2015?.........I'd like to see that issue out in the clear as the other models in the Ford line-up would not really be appropriate.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 20:34 (Ref:3463101)   #33
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Mustang races in the NASCAR Nationwide Series - surely Ford will stay in with atleast 1 team

How many years did Ambrose sign for with Penske DJR?
Old 10 Oct 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3463117)   #34
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now we're signing petitions to try to get Ford to stay, it will work as well as the petitions to keep V8Supercars on free-to-air.

The horse has bolted, Ford's commitment after Howard Marsden and Geoff Polites was always wishy washy and we just need to adjust to V8Supercars without sponsorship from Ford.

People somehow holding out for a Ford Dealer Team or Ford USA sponsorship just need to build a bridge and get over it.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3463119)   #35
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I know that previously Ford have suggested that they would like to race a Mustang bodied car in the future, but Nissan weren't happy about it as they weren't given the option to race a GTR........now Ford may not want to homologate new aero for a Falcon because the car will be discontinued and it will be money down the drain, so Ford ask to homologate a Mustang, but they are refused by supercars because the other manufacturers don't like it (they want four-door cars only). There could be more going on behind the scenes than is being stated by anyone..........of course, if any of this actually happened.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3463124)   #36
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I know that previously Ford have suggested that they would like to race a Mustang bodied car in the future, but Nissan weren't happy about it as they weren't given the option to race a GTR........now Ford may not want to homologate new aero for a Falcon because the car will be discontinued and it will be money down the drain, so Ford ask to homologate a Mustang, but they are refused by supercars because the other manufacturers don't like it (they want four-door cars only). There could be more going on behind the scenes than is being stated by anyone..........of course, if any of this actually happened.
The current rules require four door cars. If that was going to change then there'd probably be a fair bit of chat about it & personally I can't see it changing for 2015, given how close we are to that.

Might be good for future years though - wasn't there something not that long ago about V8s looking at the tech rules for 2016? Might be that coupe bodies are under consideration for then.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 21:51 (Ref:3463126)   #37
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Now we're signing petitions to try to get Ford to stay, it will work as well as the petitions to keep V8Supercars on free-to-air.

The horse has bolted, Ford's commitment after Howard Marsden and Geoff Polites was always wishy washy and we just need to adjust to V8Supercars without sponsorship from Ford.

People somehow holding out for a Ford Dealer Team or Ford USA sponsorship just need to build a bridge and get over it.
This is pretty much the reality of it.

Ford Australia have been easing their way out of the sport for some time now. It's been pretty obvious, given their lack of desire to leverage their involvement in it.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3463131)   #38
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The current rules require four door cars. If that was going to change then there'd probably be a fair bit of chat about it & personally I can't see it changing for 2015, given how close we are to that.

Might be good for future years though - wasn't there something not that long ago about V8s looking at the tech rules for 2016? Might be that coupe bodies are under consideration for then.
It could be helpful if supercars looked at the issue with a bit more vigour.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3463139)   #39
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drivers and fans unite amid Ford doubts

11 October 2014 - V8 Supercars NewsOngoing uncertainty over Ford’s future in Australian motorsport has stirred strong reaction from the company's racing legends and fan base ahead of Sunday's Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 Read More
Old 10 Oct 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3463144)   #40
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like Ford to stay. I want as many teams and manufacturers in the series as possible. But I won't be signing a petition. Not only is it a waste of my time (which I'd rather spending complaining about things on here ). It would be a waste of their time to bother reading it. Of course racing fans are going to try and get them to stay, but if the manufacturers themselves can't build a decent business case to stay in motorsport, and can't see any of the benefits that come with it, then they should leave. This is part of the bigger picture, and something that must be sorted out either within the manufacturer themselves, or as part of the bigger "V8 Supercars" picture. Who knows, Ford leaving my just open up the discussions for the improvements to the series that many of you crave. I for one are happy with the current state of it, and if Ford is gaining nothing by staying they can leave any make way for someone who will actually stand behind their teams and support them in more ways than one.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3463151)   #41
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but Nissan weren't happy about it as they weren't given the option to race a GTR.......
??

Nissan Australia have said on many occasions they have no interest in racing the GTR in V8Supercars even if 2-doors were allowed.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 23:20 (Ref:3463154)   #42
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
??

Nissan Australia have said on many occasions they have no interest in racing the GTR in V8Supercars even if 2-doors were allowed.
Generally manufacturers want to push the mass market cars. The GT's sell themselves, Altimas on the other hand are a hard thing to move by all accounts. Nissan can do with all the help they can get.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3463156)   #43
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
It could be helpful if supercars looked at the issue with a bit more vigour.
Helpful to whom? How much vigour are they applying now?

Given how much was involved with making the change to COTF (remember it was delayed from its original launch date by one year) there is clearly a process to go through that works for the teams and doesn't send the sport broke.

There'd be a fair bit to consider - primarily aero and cage design I would think. Holden and Volvo for example don't have coupes they could race so getting a structure in place would need to be thought through properly.

That's assuming of course that Ford even WANT to race the 'Stang - they may in fact prefer to run the Falcon and after that the Fusion (or whatever the Falcon replacement will be) as they see that as better for the brand.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 23:38 (Ref:3463159)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How to help Ford

Step One: Buy a Ford

If Step One cannot be achieved, recognise just maybe that you are part of the problem

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Oct 2014, 23:59 (Ref:3463167)   #45
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
??

I read that Nissan was against the Mustang being included because they weren't allowed two-doors themselves.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 00:14 (Ref:3463170)   #46
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be Ford playing hardball for turbos.

Fords world marketing is all ECOmentalistBOOST these days
Old 11 Oct 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3463171)   #47
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Helpful to whom? How much vigour are they applying now?

Given how much was involved with making the change to COTF (remember it was delayed from its original launch date by one year) there is clearly a process to go through that works for the teams and doesn't send the sport broke.

There'd be a fair bit to consider - primarily aero and cage design I would think. Holden and Volvo for example don't have coupes they could race so getting a structure in place would need to be thought through properly.

That's assuming of course that Ford even WANT to race the 'Stang - they may in fact prefer to run the Falcon and after that the Fusion (or whatever the Falcon replacement will be) as they see that as better for the brand.
Helpful to the category by hopefully not losing a manufacturer in the series and helpful to those who follow the series and want Ford to remain. Dont you???

I don't know how much vigour supercars is applying, but I expect there should probably be a bit more (extractus digitus).

I've only ever seen Ford mention the Mustang in future racing programmes.

Are supercars looking at changing their position on two-door cars? Someone should come out and say something.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 00:43 (Ref:3463175)   #48
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Are supercars looking at changing their position on two-door cars? Someone should come out and say something.
Why should they? Because one bloke on an internet forum is asking? How do you know that Ford have told V8s that they're out unless they can run the Mustang?

If the reports are correct, it sounds like it's too late to keep Ford funding in the series - again according to the article there'll still be Fords running at least in 2015.

I'm sure I've seen statements from V8s some time ago saying that they're looking at 2016 for some possible changes. If coupes were going to be part of the plan, seems to me that'd be the earliest opportunity to make the change, IF the change is planned.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 03:16 (Ref:3463204)   #49
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Why should they? Because one bloke on an internet forum is asking?
Don't be ridiculous, not for one bloke!

Have a look at the poll in this article:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...ec58e3-1227086
Old 11 Oct 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3463242)   #50
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous, not for one bloke!

Have a look at the poll in this article:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...ec58e3-1227086
Link doesn't work.

Searched for the article on that site and couldn't find a poll anywhere. What was it about?