Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2000, 19:02 (Ref:22592)   #1
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read at ITV http://167.216.224.145/news/news_sto...3?mediaid=1409 that DC feel that the plane crash hasn't changed him, he still the same as last year. I haven't commented on DC's new hype and his recent success this year because I thought it was to early to judge him this season. I have complained about his all too many driver errors through-out his career but this year has been almost perfect. So I think he has improved this year avoiding mistakes but his speed IMO is still the same. It's just that Hakkinen has lost speed through lack of motivation, setup problem an so fourth, that makes DC look faster than previous years. I'm not saying he is slow or something but he is about the same as before. If so that so it means that Ferrari still haven't managed to build a car faster than the Mac, I wonder if the day will ever come.

What do think?

Old 11 Jul 2000, 19:56 (Ref:22596)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only major difference I see in him is his level of confidence seems higher as compared to when he was being regularly outrun by MH. He seems to be able to take the fight straight to Ferrari, especially as noticed in the last race. I figured that MS was gone after his start allowed RB to get around DC, but DC made the pass happen and promptly attacked MS's position as well. Whether or not the Ferrari was ailing at that point I don't think mattered as DC was going to find a way to pass anyway. The interesting part of the equation was whether or not MH was able to do the same. He did not look nearly as confident while close to MS and only the failure of the Ferrari eliminated our chances of finding this out.

If McLaren have matched the early speed of Ferrari then it might well become a hellacious battle for the WDC as the season winds down. Neither driver can afford another DNF or possibly even a finish off of the podium as it gives away to much ground. It won't be easy for the rest of the season for any of the top drivers to take it easy. Hopefully we won't see any more races or the WDC decided by contact.
Old 11 Jul 2000, 21:57 (Ref:22606)   #3
Cameron
Rookie

Cameron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amen to that KC the only addition to your comments I would make would be let's hope no more point fines or 10 sec penalties. Let's see it sorted out driver on driver and car on car (+no jammed refueling hoses!)
Old 12 Jul 2000, 05:04 (Ref:22670)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Al, I think your argument is based on an hypothesis which in turn is your personal opinion. Fair enough, we all do that here - but you did ask what we thought. I feel that Ferrari is faster this year, because both Mika nad DC used to out qualify MS. However, I agree with Jackie Stewart and others that DC has gained in confidence and aggresiveness since his near brush with death. Such an event does tend to make people reassess their whole life attitude. My feeling this year is that DC is faster. He was biding his time when given the 10 second penalty for messing up before the start of the warm up lap - he could have won that race. His passes on both Rubens and MS were clinical and spectacular. He knew what he had to do, and did it confidently. I also remember David driving some very slow races last year - this year he has been consistently fast since the accident.
Old 12 Jul 2000, 06:58 (Ref:22691)   #5
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whether as a direct result of the plane crash or Mika's distractedness or some other unrelated reason, DC has been driving with more confidence and brio. As long as Mika languishes in the doldrums, it will be entertaining to watch The Scot and The German do battle.
Old 12 Jul 2000, 10:11 (Ref:22722)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year has seen David step-up a gear, taking his driving to a level we haven't seen before.
Old 12 Jul 2000, 19:41 (Ref:22833)   #7
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wont argue that's he's better this year,driving more agressive and without mistakes, but I can't see him be .5 sec quicker after a so long career and at a such short period of time. I think it's more likely that what we see is Hakkinen have difficulties, both he, Ron and DC has admitted that.
Old 12 Jul 2000, 22:34 (Ref:22875)   #8
Cameron
Rookie

Cameron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope Minardi Fan is right. However, let's see how Austria goes before the waxing becomes too lyrical.

I assure you if the 'boy does good agin there' I will cheerfully support the lyrics!
Old 12 Jul 2000, 23:58 (Ref:22882)   #9
bondibill
Rookie

bondibill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think more than speed, DC has stopped making mistakes. If you look at qualifying this season compered to the last couple of seasons TGF has been on pole more frequently than in the past - indicating a faster Ferrari or that MH is slower (on which we all seem to agree), TGF is faster and DC has about the same speed as ever??? He really needs to pick up a couple of pole positions before I'm convinced that he's actually faster.
Old 13 Jul 2000, 01:47 (Ref:22893)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually, bondibill has made the point I wanted to make: Coulthard has always been fast-its just that he was prone to mistakes and was inconsistent in the application of his skills. What seems to have changed is the degree of focus.-the ability to block out distractions. Comparing himself unfavorably to Hakinnen was a distraction. Combine his increased concentration with a dip in Hakinne's form and you have a driver who can challenge TGF.

The other thing is, if he can focus in the aftermath of the plane crash-he can focus anywhere.
Old 13 Jul 2000, 18:01 (Ref:23028)   #11
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever it is that's made him appear faster, it's only obvious to people outside of his friends and family that it was surviving the plane crash. He was challenging for second or third in the races before that, then he was all of a sudden challenging Schumacher for wins.

Less ovious is that the car may be more to his liking than in previous years as well as the notable drop off in Mika Hakkinen's performances of late. All these things together, I think, have made him the new DC.

Oh, and there's also the wave...
Old 14 Jul 2000, 00:31 (Ref:23104)   #12
bondibill
Rookie

bondibill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

the wave????

Also an interesting theory on Coulthards rise at:

http://www.atlasf1.com/2000/aut/preview/grapevine.html
Old 14 Jul 2000, 10:25 (Ref:23158)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

I agree with bondibill. I think that DC is going like th eproverbial Bondi tram lately. I must add that when one comes near to a very serious accident, one tends to re-focus life in general. I was nearly killed in a ski accident at Lake Louise when this huge fellow ran into me from behind as I was about to enter a queue. I had nearly two weeks to consider my priorities at Footshills hospital in Calgary, tubes sticking out, not being able to sleep, and terrible pain if I tried to turn over. To make it worse, it was the second day of a ski holiday. On the way to Banff I even told the ambulance driver " this is it". Later I had to rethink what was important and what wasn't in my life. Maybe I grew up ten years in ten days. We can all see that DC is faster, he is more focused, and now he keeps saying all the time that he can win the WDC because he believes he is good enough to win it.
P.S. I still ski, and I also learnt in-line skating.