Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 29 Dec 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3182754)   #26
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just watched the Stirling Moss one and thorughly enjoyed it.
It hasn't altered my opinion about him in any way, but I'm glad I watched it.
Now looking forward to watching the one about a multiple World Champion, that should be good.
Old 29 Dec 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3182762)   #27
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Interesting take, I'm not too sure what to make of this one, I found it interesting in bits and a little underwhelming in others. Maybe it's because I know quite a lot more about the 1960s and early 70s Grand Prix racing era (purely from reading a lot about it you understand, I wasn't there) so for instance, I found myself subconsciously picking holes in how various bits of footage had been edited together. I've heard and read some of the commens made hundreds of times so there was little new for me in the respect. I guess this can't be helped. The only thing new to me was the quote that Matra refused to sell a chassis to Ken Tyrell in 1970, is that really the case?

I wonder if I enjoyed the Moss program a lot more because my knowledge of his era is limited.

Anyway, I was quite moved by the garden benches in memory of Rindt and Cevert.
Long way of saying, it was an alright program, I enjoyed it overall just not as much as the Stirling one before.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 00:03 (Ref:3182820)   #28
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i enjoyed the moss programme more than the stewart one, i thought they could have said a bit more about jackies pre f1 career in an hour long programme, maybe they did and i missed it?

also the chef pronounced formula one in an odd way, added another syallable somewhere, other than that, good off season programmes
Old 30 Dec 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3182895)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There were one or two bits in the JYS programme that caught my attention, unrelated to his racing exploits really. One was the fact that he was driving (and therefore owned?) an Austin A90 Atlantic which was a huge sales flop when it appeared 60 years ago and the sort of wallowy beast that I would not have thought Sir J would have taken to, and the second was the the fact that he owned a Pantera, again not the sort of supercar from that era that I would have expected him to own. Still, good on him for both choices; he obviously still has the 'fever'.

The one thing that grated was Martin's constant reference to 'Formulee One'; never heard of it.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3182911)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Long way of saying, it was an alright program, I enjoyed it overall just not as much as the Stirling one before.
Think you'll find Matra wanted to keep everything for their own planned team.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3182927)   #31
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
There were one or two bits in the JYS programme that caught my attention, unrelated to his racing exploits really. One was the fact that he was driving (and therefore owned?) an Austin A90 Atlantic which was a huge sales flop when it appeared 60 years ago and the sort of wallowy beast that I would not have thought Sir J would have taken to, and the second was the the fact that he owned a Pantera, again not the sort of supercar from that era that I would have expected him to own. Still, good on him for both choices; he obviously still has the 'fever'.

The one thing that grated was Martin's constant reference to 'Formulee One'; never heard of it.
The Pantera conundrum - anything to do with his involvement with Ford? They owned a majority in de Tomaso at one point.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3182942)   #32
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yes, that razzed me right off.

I hear the McRae one has been canned because a copyright dispute that is unresolved. Shame.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3182983)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I've just watched the Stirling Moss one and thorughly enjoyed it.
It hasn't altered my opinion about him in any way, but I'm glad I watched it.
Now looking forward to watching the one about a multiple World Champion, that should be good.

Likewise.

I didn't find it shallow at all. I've read a lot about Moss over the years and I wasn't expecting (or needing) an in-depth analysis. Highly enjoyable.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3183034)   #34
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

I hear the McRae one has been canned because a copyright dispute that is unresolved. Shame.
I read somewhere else that it hasn't been indefinitely canned as rumoured but will be shown sometime next year.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3183131)   #35
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't got around to seeing these yet (recorded them though) but the McRae one is what I was really looking forward to. Hope they can sort it out and air it.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3183200)   #36
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the JYS one was a million times better than the Moss one, he came over as a much more astute, humble man.
I'd love to see a programme about the Aussie triple World Champion.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3183242)   #37
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
The Pantera conundrum - anything to do with his involvement with Ford? They owned a majority in de Tomaso at one point.
Entirely possible!
Old 31 Dec 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3183253)   #38
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I read somewhere else that it hasn't been indefinitely canned as rumoured but will be shown sometime next year.
I hope this is the case and that it hasn't been canned. Chris Hoy seemed to be in the dark about what was happening with it a few days ago... he was quite shocked that it wasn't going to go out on the evening it was scheduled to, so I guess this copyright issue, or whatever it is, must have emerged very late in the day.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3183378)   #39
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone remember the C4 programme of many years ago, that ran through the night, entitled "Who do you think you are Srirling Moss?" it was a heady mixture of Doug Nye interviewing Sir Stirling and clips of many of his races? I remember setting the alarm for every 3 hours during the night to change video tapes. I still have the 9? hours on 3 tapes, but nothing to play them on!! I seem to remember that it was an EXCELLENT production.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3183609)   #40
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce George View Post
Does anyone remember the C4 programme of many years ago, that ran through the night, entitled "Who do you think you are Srirling Moss?" it was a heady mixture of Doug Nye interviewing Sir Stirling and clips of many of his races? I remember setting the alarm for every 3 hours during the night to change video tapes. I still have the 9? hours on 3 tapes, but nothing to play them on!! I seem to remember that it was an EXCELLENT production.
I dont remember the programme although i think i might of heard of it. 9 hours of something based on motorsports thats pretty good going really.

I would love to see the programme, as im a bit of a fool for the old footage. I like yourself am lacking in a VHS player. Its funny how quickly obsolete they have become, i found the whole 2007 F1 season i had recorded on VHS the other day and thought thats really not that long ago, only 5 years.

Some people have VHS to media file converters so your best bet would be trying to find someone or some company who have one if you wanted to see the programme again.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3183614)   #41
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Does anyone remember the C4 programme of many years ago, that ran through the night, entitled "Who do you think you are Srirling Moss?"
It was like the best pub chat in the world...there was another one as well, I think devoted to Jim Clark. Alain de Cadenet compering, Roebuck as a guest.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3183624)   #42
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I've got a combined VHS/DVD player/recorder if you want them copied to DVD, Joyce.....
Old 1 Jan 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3183626)   #43
kartincolin
Rookie

Ireland
Cavan, Ireland
kartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was massively looking forward to the Colin McRae one, I really hope that it gets aired sometime in the near future. The programme on JYS made me do some research on a racing series that I previously had never heard of: Formulee One. Unfortunately, I can`t seem to find any historical evidence that it ever existed.

I wasn`t expecting JYS to be such a humble person, he does not come across that way when he is shown in the F1 Paddock.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3183641)   #44
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I've got a combined VHS/DVD player/recorder if you want them copied to DVD, Joyce.....
Richard - I love you!!!!!!!! Can I bring them to whichever meeting you can make??
Old 4 Jan 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3184801)   #45
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing is aswell, Colins death is still viewed with some degree of law in Scotland, he did die doing something he shouldn't, and the BBC are not likely to be treading heavily when it comes to this sort of thing, so they will have taken a decision to can it, I suspect with due regard to the families of the lads killed in the accident, not Colin and his family.

Bizarrely I much preferred the Moss one, Sir Patrick was completely in Awe of Moss (Someone I profess to not liking much) and that really came out and was really rather touching.

the Stewart one was good aswell, but I got a little tired of the lets make the chef have a good time whil telling a story.

There was too much about him playing and not enough about Jackie, even though I would know most of it anyway!!
Old 4 Jan 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3184856)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I enjoyed them both. The 'formulee' thing was a constant irritation though. I'm not that keen on JM anyway. Anyhow, for a British motor sports fan of my age, frankly Moss is the ultimate hero. He clearly still has the marbles and I'd have been in even more awe of him than Patrick was! I was in awe from the grandstands at Le Mans in 2011 and he was so affected by my presence that he decided to retire......

Old 4 Jan 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3184869)   #47
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hoping that is the case.

On the other hand I would of loved to see one of the episodes based on either a touring car driver to round the set out. Andy Rouse would of been an interesting choice.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3184906)   #48
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Hoping that is the case.

On the other hand I would of loved to see one of the episodes based on either a touring car driver to round the set out. Andy Rouse would of been an interesting choice.
Ya me too but unfortunately the general public have no idea who Andy Rouse is
Old 5 Jan 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3185022)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Agreed on both counts. A programme on Andy, the touring car star at the height of my own BTC interest - would be terrific, if unlikely. But a sports car star would be more than possible - Derek Bell?
Old 5 Jan 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3185067)   #50
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Agreed on both counts. A programme on Andy, the touring car star at the height of my own BTC interest - would be terrific, if unlikely. But a sports car star would be more than possible - Derek Bell?
I too would love to see a 'proper' programme about Andy Rouse (surely, it's time someone wrote his biography?).
As for Derek Bell, what an excellent idea. He would be an interesting subject even for the non-hardcore motor-sport enthusiast. A national hero really, winning Le mans umpteen times, plus, didn't he drive for Ferrari in F1 for a while?