Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Dec 2016, 14:17 (Ref:3699115)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
MONZA HISTORIC

The big clash with major French Organiser Peter Auto taking it's grids to Monza on the same w/end as the FFSA and HVM Racing's new Magny Cours event....

Monza include rounds of the FJ FIA Lurani Trophy. Plus better pizza than Nevers...
Old 21 Jun 2017, 05:20 (Ref:3745669)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So, with Goodwood FOS, HSCC Brands Superprix, Magny Cours 'GP de France Historique' and Monza Historic, does this weekend mark the worst clash of the year?

I could happily have gone to 3 of the above (forget the first mentioned ), but will be heading for the most atmospheric of the venues- the 'Autodromo Nazionale Monza'. With the recent high temperatures experienced here in the UK, we should be well ready to take anything Italy in July can throw at us!

Looking forward to an authentic pizza, maybe a limoncello or two, and walking the old banking once again. Some things just have to be done, regardless of whether you've done it before......

Timetable here- https://peterauto.peter.fr/wp-conten...-timetable.pdf

Good luck anyone looking for the entry lists- the new PA website is extremely difficult to navigate! If I find them I'll post a link. Edit, here under 'download'- https://peterauto.peter.fr/en/monza-historic-2/
Old 21 Jun 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3745678)   #3
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We haven't been for a couple of years, so really looking forward to it!

Looking at the entry list for 60's, not many of the "minnows" that we usually have a tussle with are there which is a shame!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 21 Jun 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3745705)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
We haven't been for a couple of years, so really looking forward to it!

Looking at the entry list for 60's, not many of the "minnows" that we usually have a tussle with are there which is a shame!
Yes, 'only' 48 entries for 60s Endurance. Some organisers would boast of that many!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3745717)   #5
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Doesn't look like the new F2 series is taking off....only 8 entries for Monza, and I think there were only 10 or 12 at Dijon....maybe back to the drawing board on that one!
Mag 7's #60
Old 21 Jun 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3745754)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, it was controversial from the start. I know one UK based car went sick at Dijon and won't be there for that reason. The owner also bent his CER car so has decided to give Monza a miss altogether!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3745842)   #7
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic F2 could, and should, be one of the most spectacular series in historic racing. There were about 25 cars a couple of years ago at the HSCC Superprix and they made an impressive and wonderful-sounding spectacle.

Somebody needs to speak to all the drivers and ask them what they want, how often they would like to race (and where) and how much they would be prepared to spend.

"If you build it, they will come" doesn't always hold true...
Old 21 Jun 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3745854)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Fliping heck.Bell first year I'm. Not at Monza and you tell me you are going to have more than one lemonchello
Old 21 Jun 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3745857)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Fliping heck.Bell first year I'm. Not at Monza and you tell me you are going to have more than one lemonchello
No, possibly more than one 'limoncello'.....

You'll be sorely missed, bud.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3745956)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I had thought about double stint to Brands but just a bridge to far
Old 22 Jun 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3745999)   #11
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Apparently Jacques Laffite is driving in CER1....I assume you will be taking your autograph book, Mike?

Also given your description of RA at Dijon, can't wait to hear how you describe JL!!!

Last edited by 356sc; 22 Jun 2017 at 10:43.
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 Jun 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3746076)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Apparently Jacques Laffite is driving in CER1....I assume you will be taking your autograph book, Mike?
Also given your description of RA at Dijon, can't wait to hear how you describe JL!!!
Oh dear- that possibly signals more looking the other way while some folks have their pic taken with him.... And what was wrong with my description?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I had thought about double stint to Brands but just a bridge to far
Yes- even for you......
Old 22 Jun 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3746096)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Raced against him. Really nice bloke .
Old 22 Jun 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3746097)   #14
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You can also add Paul Belmondo in CER2. With all those French drivers around, take care if your tents are not weeproof!!! And if you ask for an autograph, do supply the pencil and take it back then…
Anyway you'll have some rest, guess Jean Alesi will be at Magny in the meanwhile. He's still a legend in Italy.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3747639)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
For those thinking that they'd rather be at Monza than Brands, Nevers or wherever- it's rained ever since I got near Milan, the main autostrada from Turin was blocked this afternoon by a big accident, we aren't allowed into the paddock until the morning, nothing is ready in there anyway, and the loos inside Parabolica where we've been shoved are locked....

Luckily I was given the heads up on the accident by another race truck who was just behind the collision and drove through the debris, so was able to re-route north and loop round, but the loos being locked is almost one thing too many!

Think an early night.....
Old 28 Jun 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3747650)   #16
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Weather forecast in your area looks rather good for Sat and Sunday, ugly on Friday. The HTC grid looks good and will probably end with 36 entries.
Not really easy to see Magny entries (at least for French people). Only had a look to the racing fuels prices…*
Old 30 Jun 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3747938)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Seems that AlKamel recently introduced the maximum top speed to their data. If my understanding is good it gives: best 911: 209 kph, the 356: 199 kph and the SLR: 187 kph. 222 for a good Capri RS, some must be spannering to adjust the final ratio may be (Dance's Capri is 202 kph in the straight but much faster on one lap).
Old 30 Jun 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3748017)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The SLR is leading the pack of its category,the 911's are behind. Hot weekend!
Old 1 Jul 2017, 05:22 (Ref:3748059)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Not certain but think the Morgan was class P3 in qually. Well aware of how hard the circuit is on brakes, and the likelihood of it being hot, we were concentrating on finding a good brake balance for the 2hr race, rather than going for a special lap. The Porsche 904 is always going to be ahead- as it was in period! Comes down to reliability..... The Family Stephens 356 was going well and sounding very loud as usual, so hope they get a trouble free race as well.

On Thursday Monza proved true to it's reputation, with a monumental thunderstorm during the afternoon, including hail, that flooded most of the paddock and some of the garages! Despite the sky looking very ominous to the North yesterday, it stayed dry, so fingers crossed same today.

Not on track until late morning so time for a pilgrimage to the old banking....

BTW Gerard, I don't know where the 'speed trap' is on the straight, but at other circuits the measurement can be extremely unreliable due to the position. On board data much more interesting- when I raced the red SLR here in 2013 the VBox data recorded 137 mph at 7.3k........

Last edited by Mike Bell; 1 Jul 2017 at 05:30. Reason: Adition
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3748087)   #20
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
On board data much more interesting- when I raced the red SLR here in 2013 the VBox data recorded 137 mph at 7.3k........
Phew really fast!
Rain between showers at Magny, 14 HF2 and 22 cars for the Masters grid.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3748135)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, you should warn your drivers. In Italy some road signs dont mean the temperature but the speed limit.
Generally, it is expressed in kilometers per hour……… not miles !! And this works in their pit lanes too.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3748142)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What a breath taking last lap! Please Mike, your version? Seems Biehler's 911was out of shape at the end of the race but he didn't get any speed ticket.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3748164)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There's a lot to tell about our race Gerard, and other 'goings on', but will have to wait a bit! Just off to the Musee Alfa Romeo.....
Old 2 Jul 2017, 05:20 (Ref:3748239)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
After all that, the Morgan got a class P3, as the 904 was moved into a different class- or something. We never quite understand how it works.....

One of the unsavoury aspects of a race meeting or indeed other large events reared its head on Friday- several trucks behind the boxes being rifled and money, passports, possessions stolen. The miscreant(s) made off in a hire car they found the keys for! Yesterday an individual identified as having been seen acting suspiciously during that was caught by a lady team member in the back of another truck, going through a kit bag. He was 'detained' by her and other team members until security arrived, then the police. Hope he wasn't treated too gently.......
Old 2 Jul 2017, 07:20 (Ref:3748244)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sad remake of an italian job then but this can happen anywhere. Your ladies are tough, burglars are warned now!

As to the 904, its rather strange to change its class or category after a race and during the season. But as already said, its up to any organisation.
Your team was probably pleased to take over a 911 inside the parabolica few yards before the checkered flag!