Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 Jun 2001, 07:30 (Ref:100903)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tragedy at Lakeside

I am sad to say that a motorcycle rider was killed in a 1000cc state championship motorcylce race at Lakeside yesterday (Sunday). Apparantly he was thrown into an armco barrier after losing control on the main straight. Another rider also suffered a broken arm in a seperate incident. While this is terrible news, I hope it doesnot jeapordise the plans to upgrade the track. Lakeside is a great track, and deserve's it's place in QLD motorsport.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 07:50 (Ref:100908)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad and tragic as this might be, I don't think it will impact very much on anything. Perhaps it may slow down the motorcycle clubs, but the likelihood is slight, they know Lakeside holds its traps, they've got the bus stop these days so the worst danger is gone, it's now up to the riders.

What was the guy's name?
Old 4 Jun 2001, 11:52 (Ref:100989)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I can gather, it was a guy in his first ever race and he was trying to overtake somebody before the kink, where he hit the dirt and crashed. I think what may have happened was that he was going up the inside of the track, along the pit exit lane, when that suddenly closed, hit the dirt, end of the story... Apparently the other guy that was hurt hit the bike, or possibly the fallen rider. In that sort of situation, it wouldn't matter if he was on any track in the world, he wouldn't have had much hope.

His name was Trevor Mustey, a 31 year old from Townsville.

I for one hope that it doesn't affect bike racing at Lakeside- not because I'm that big a fan of them out there, but because they make up 1/2 of the circuit's business. To be honest, I think Lakeside will pull through.

At the moment they are apparently ahead of schedule raising funds to recieve the government grant, and a part of the money being spent to fix up the track will be on the bike racing "bus stop" section.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 16:16 (Ref:101059)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
This should probably be put into the Bike forum instead of here.

but this is sad news ..i did see a breif glimpse of it last night on a news update and it didnt look good..I didnt hear any sound at all as i was doing something else at the time but i knew straight away what it was about and then they showed the guy laying in the middle of the track and i knew that it was the kink at Lakeside so whatever it was it wasnt going to be good news.

deepest sympathy to trevor's family and friends and to everyone involved in the local club..what makes it even more sad if its true what crash test has said that it was his first ever meeting.

RIP Trevor Mustey
Old 6 Jun 2001, 12:17 (Ref:101770)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another tragic event this year...

My condolences to his family and friends...