Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 30 Oct 2007, 13:42 (Ref:2054925)   #1
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferry Prices

Does anyone know of any amazing ferry deals - ongoing.
Last week (out on friday, back on tuesday) cost £165 return for a van, trailer and race car ( plus another £41 breakdown insurance ).
Is this about the going rate, or does anyone know better ?
BTW - it was Norfolkline Dover - Dunkerke.

Thanks
Alan
Old 30 Oct 2007, 13:57 (Ref:2054937)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Seafrance Dover -Calais normally are a cheap as anyone. You could try David at Allsports 01873859500 who is helpful.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Oct 2007, 14:10 (Ref:2054954)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's roughly what I paid P&O Dover/Calais all last season.

When I went to the 'Ring on the Eurotunnel it was £110-ish for van/trailer/racer because I got a 24-hour ticket.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 14:22 (Ref:2054959)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Seafrance Dover -Calais normally are a cheap as anyone. You could try David at Allsports 01873859500 who is helpful.

Or Seafrance directly on 0870 4431688,the more you use them will eventually get you a "Regular User" number,then you,ll get discount as well.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 21:45 (Ref:2055395)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
One of my customers was one of the original people to invest money in the "chunnel" and as we know it all went pear shaped. The only thing he got out of it is he can use it for the rest of his life for nothing. Unfortunately it means only "him" and not his family or friends, "wot a sod"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Oct 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2055406)   #6
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We use P&O via Motorsport travel. They are very good and when we come home a day late with a vehicle we didn't leave England with, there is no fuss, they just put us on the next available ferry.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:11 (Ref:2055584)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What percentage do Motorsport Travel add?
Old 31 Oct 2007, 10:19 (Ref:2055705)   #8
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
That's roughly what I paid P&O Dover/Calais all last season.

When I went to the 'Ring on the Eurotunnel it was £110-ish for van/trailer/racer because I got a 24-hour ticket.
Thats a lot of driving in 24 hours !!! In 2005, I drove to the ring (car only-no trailer) watched an endurance race, and drove back in the same day (using the tunnel) - I'm too old for that sort of thing now- need a day to get there, at lkeast a day to do whatever (RCN was over 2 days) a nights sleep, and a day to get back. The quotes I've had for the tunnel over that sort of period are a bit pricey !
Old 31 Oct 2007, 12:23 (Ref:2055818)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm a sad case, and have no life, soi'm a bit of an expert on the cost for a single car across the channel. i guess the same patterns apply.

eurotunnel - cheap if you're going on an overnight trip. for a car it's £50 or less if you're going at unsociable hours. any longer and it's not really in the ballpark unless you're booking 6 months early. personally i prefer the tunnel for the lack of time lost on the crossing and the flexibility compared to p&o.

p&o - have some seriously good short notice offers, and some really good occasional promotions. there are forums that have threads including codes for getting these (my record was £18 return for a daytrip, and something similar for an overnight).

seafrance - i find competitive for 2-3 weeks notice on standard fares for trips of 5 days. not so many options on the crossing times, but if it's the right price...

norfolkline - used to be competitive on last minute fares but are now really expensive. worth checking though, especially if heading to spa thanks to being closer to belgium.

i get the price direct from the website, then try a couple of 3rd party search engines to see if i can improve, and then check for discount codes.

hope that helps someone, even if they don't have a trailer!

ps. i almost always do there and back in a day for the nurburgring. earlier this year i did the same to magny-cours too. if you can survive on no sleep and red bull for 2 days, it's definitely game on!
Old 31 Oct 2007, 14:19 (Ref:2055926)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I personally find the difference between Dover/ Calais/Dunkirk negligible, as the times for the crossing and road times work out about the same if you are using the E42 .
Old 1 Nov 2007, 09:21 (Ref:2056629)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon Alan, I do this all the time. A quick day trip to Brands or Lydden.

I always use the tunnel for the same reason as Bella: quick, not too expensive and no hassle getting a few trains earlier even if you show up "early".
There is a little trick in making a booking in a cheap (later) fare coming back and all of the sudden show up 3 hours early, I do that very often. I have never had to pay any extras. Only thing, the machine decides which next available train you go on.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 12:34 (Ref:2056841)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Easy way to save ferry crossings,----------Move over there.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 12:48 (Ref:2056852)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
There is a little trick in making a booking in a cheap (later) fare coming back and all of the sudden show up 3 hours early, I do that very often. I have never had to pay any extras. Only thing, the machine decides which next available train you go on.
that works too with booked up crossings. coming back from germany one night i couldn't get anything earlier than 3am the next day or something, so i booked that, and turned up at 8pm. they couldn't get me on one then, so told me to come back at 11.30 and try again. went back at 10.30, went to a machine, not a person that time, and was on a crossing by 11pm.

it's hit and miss on a really busy weekend (think school holidays), but it definitely works and you never get charged more for it.
if you start doing that with the boats then they start making you pay. it would be ok if their policies were consistent, but how much you pay seems to vary depending on what mood the person on the check in counter is in.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 17:20 (Ref:2057060)   #14
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure Terri if you want me (t)here permanently. Thinking about it though.

I know Bella, but for me it is easy going out, I book usually at around 7.30 or 8 am, as I know it only takes me 2.5 hours tops from home to get to Calais.
Always use the machine, people are never that nice, at least it wishes me a safe journey.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 19:39 (Ref:2057163)   #15
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust you will be over here again this weekend.

Can you get a season ticket?
Old 1 Nov 2007, 20:36 (Ref:2057204)   #16
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Yes, obviously Gary.
And yes you can, but far too expensive. Looking out for the cheap rates is the case.