Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jun 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3086271)   #2201
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But Martin said Sky is way more technical than the Beeb. So it must be true.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3086317)   #2202
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
But Martin said Sky is way more technical than the Beeb. So it must be true.
There's technical and then there's technical. Maybe he was talking about the microphones or some fancy graphics?
Old 7 Jun 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3086752)   #2203
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
We're still talking about a team (Sky) that has only got 6 races experience collective experience against the Beeb which has a couple of years. It will some for Sky.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3086876)   #2204
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're right Mr V, but the problem will always be even if Sky equal the BBC, some of us will be left wondering why it's not better when we're paying for it. It's like an F1 tax- a new charge that we didn't pay for before.

I'm going the whole hog and abandoning BT (whose service has been poor) for Sky (who have too much of a penchant for calling me "buddy" on the phone) so I can at least get TV, phone and internet for the same cost as I was getting phone and internet for before.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3086881)   #2205
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not overly fussed about the F1 coverage between the two. I have a preference for Crofty/Brundle calling the race, but for Gary on the tech side and Jake & Co in the build-up.

Where Sky is scoring big for me is in its coverage of GP2 and GP3. Full races are shown (and qualifying if you're that into it), while they barely get a passing mention on the Beeb.

Last edited by pauln; 7 Jun 2012 at 13:50. Reason: Spill chucking
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3086912)   #2206
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
You're right Mr V, but the problem will always be even if Sky equal the BBC, some of us will be left wondering why it's not better when we're paying for it. It's like an F1 tax- a new charge that we didn't pay for before.
Well maybe, but i get the impression that people become more critical when they are actually paying for something. It may well be as good as the "free" version, but we'll always expect more.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3086956)   #2207
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you have to pay more for a service then I would expect a better service.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3086972)   #2208
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Mr Lazenby managing to insult the late Princess Grace of Monaco, was the only real highlight of Sky's Monaco GP presentation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cos-death.html

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was a 'no-show' at the Canadian GP.
Sick idiot! Lazenby should be fired for that.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3087054)   #2209
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Sick idiot! Lazenby should be fired for that.
If everyone got the sack for a joke,/inappropriate comment/mistake, no one would have a job left
Old 7 Jun 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3087055)   #2210
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sky's coverage is ok and improved significantly since it started. the weak link Lazenby. he should be out of there. he cannot present live and looks like he is nervous, acts akwardly and doesnt seem to know much about f1 at all. sky said they were the autosport of tv coverage at the start, but seeing that bbcs monaco coverage was better and on air longer than skys they have well and truely failed. if i hadnt already got it from my subscription i definatly would not pay for it.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3087068)   #2211
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
If everyone got the sack for a joke,/inappropriate comment/mistake, no one would have a job left
Making a joke about the death of Princess Grace at the Monaco GP would be akin to making a joke about the death of Princess Di whilst commentating on the Royal Jubilee last weekend.

Whilst it might get a few laughs down the pub it is seriously unprofessional conduct.

But then Sky do have a habit of employing these halfwits, luckily there is a resthome for them called Talksport radio.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3087115)   #2212
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well maybe, but i get the impression that people become more critical when they are actually paying for something. It may well be as good as the "free" version, but we'll always expect more.
Sky still have quite a way to go before they are on par (quality wise) with the Beeb for many fans in my experience. The positive points are the coverage of GP2 and GP3, but the team are still seriously lacking in terms of delivery IMO. When the deal was first announced I thought I would at least miss Brundle to a degree even if I'm not overly keen on the bloke, but now I would be disappointed if circumstances changed and he ended up back on FTA. The Beeb appeared to get all the priority interviews pre and post race in Monaco and this was further backed up by reading Sky viewers complaints on such. I can understand if you are paying a premium for something you expect the best but it's also apparent the Beeb are still the primary source of coverage for British fans and audience figures will always matter to the parties who need the exposure in certain markets. Sky are delivering good coverage sure, but they must be scratching their heads a little when the demands for them to prove they are the best source for F1 in the UK simply isn't being fulfilled.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3087137)   #2213
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Sky still have quite a way to go before they are on par (quality wise) with the Beeb for many fans in my experience. The positive points are the coverage of GP2 and GP3, but the team are still seriously lacking in terms of delivery IMO. When the deal was first announced I thought I would at least miss Brundle to a degree even if I'm not overly keen on the bloke, but now I would be disappointed if circumstances changed and he ended up back on FTA. The Beeb appeared to get all the priority interviews pre and post race in Monaco and this was further backed up by reading Sky viewers complaints on such. I can understand if you are paying a premium for something you expect the best but it's also apparent the Beeb are still the primary source of coverage for British fans and audience figures will always matter to the parties who need the exposure in certain markets. Sky are delivering good coverage sure, but they must be scratching their heads a little when the demands for them to prove they are the best source for F1 in the UK simply isn't being fulfilled.
A lot of it has to do with the BBC's history and reputation as an international broadcaster. I'm not surprised they got the priority interviews.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3087143)   #2214
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
A lot of it has to do with the BBC's history and reputation as an international broadcaster. I'm not surprised they got the priority interviews.
Yes, true, but.....to be honest PR and Marketing people are pretty unsentimental in my experience. It's just a numbers game and the BBC has at least three times the viewers on the races they show live. At the BGP it'll probably be even more as casual viewers come on board.

Murdoch won't care, he's playing the long game just waiting until he can snatch it all.

As for Brundle, I prefer the more contemporary driver viewpoints the BBC provide personally, don't miss him a bit.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3087152)   #2215
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Making a joke about the death of Princess Grace at the Monaco GP would be akin to making a joke about the death of Princess Di whilst commentating on the Royal Jubilee last weekend.
That would have improved the coverage of the flotilla.

I'm still trying to work out if that joke is worse than reading the Daily Mail. On consideration, it is no where near as bad.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3087384)   #2216
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some news about the future of TV broadcasts with Bernie saying that F1 will not go exclusively pay per view. The Tifosi are in for a tough time as Murdoch has got a deal for F1 in Italy next year.

http://www.pitpass.com/46474-Ecclest...-per-view-only

Bernie seems to like sky (money) over FTA broadcasters, he likes lots of air time but what about the quality?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3087466)   #2217
Mr V
Veteran

England
Just watching the Mario F1 legends programme, then a bit later a think i'll watch FP1, but as i'm out think i'll watch it on Sky Go. Can't do that with the Beeb.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3087698)   #2218
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just watching the Mario F1 legends programme, then a bit later a think i'll watch FP1, but as i'm out think i'll watch it on Sky Go. Can't do that with the Beeb.
You can't watch the Poland vs Greece game on sky either but who really cares? I rarely watch the practice sessions when I can watch them on the beeb because of the simple fact they are rather boring and I have better things to do with my Fridays most of the time. If quantity over quality rules and you're happy to pay for it, then good for you. I can watch on sky go anytime I want but they have failed to impress. My F1 experience is not suffering one iota as a result.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 22:29 (Ref:3087751)   #2219
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I see where sky will have Jacques Villenuve as a pundit this weekend that might liven things up a bit.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 23:34 (Ref:3087778)   #2220
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I presume that is another pro-beeb anti-sky comment
Old 8 Jun 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3087786)   #2221
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I presume that is another pro-beeb anti-sky comment
I would be interested to hear what Jacques has to say as it is usually interesting and is different to what a lot of others might think. A different view point usually adds to TV coverage.

I don't have sky as I feel it is not good value for money 6 or 700 notes for half the GPs. With the comments that I have heard about sky it does not appear to offer anything better in terms of quality especially for what it costs. It does offer more hours of coverage but is that enough?
Old 9 Jun 2012, 07:14 (Ref:3087845)   #2222
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Some news about the future of TV broadcasts with Bernie saying that F1 will not go exclusively pay per view. The Tifosi are in for a tough time as Murdoch has got a deal for F1 in Italy next year.

http://www.pitpass.com/46474-Ecclest...-per-view-only

Bernie seems to like sky (money) over FTA broadcasters, he likes lots of air time but what about the quality?
That story in Pitpass is a bit disingenuous because it seems to suggest that more coverage, i.e. whatever Sky are doing by repeating everything constantly on a dedicated channel, is worth as much or more than the BBC's much, much larger audience for qualifying and the race.

It isn't. What counts to sponsors is individual viewers, unique viewers in Internet speak. It's no good having the same 800,000 hard core sports fans getting a sponsors message when you could have 3 million plus seeing it on the BBC. And the viewership for the repeats and FP1 etc. is probably tiny.

The Sky business model only really works with exclusive rights, not shared as we have now.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 07:48 (Ref:3087851)   #2223
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
To clarify I was just being silly about JV.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3087939)   #2224
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
You can't watch the Poland vs Greece game on sky either but who really cares?
Not me, i didn't fancy watching that match, although i hear it wasn't too bad.

Quote:
My F1 experience is not suffering one iota as a result.

Thank heavens for that, i was losing sleep over that
Old 9 Jun 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3087941)   #2225
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post

The Sky business model only really works with exclusive rights, not shared as we have now.
Which will proberbly happen when the BBC give up the rights to the other half of the season

Tags
outrage, sky