Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 May 2004, 20:51 (Ref:980395)   #1
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CMSA Brands Hatch Camping or should i say hay field

Just got back from a cracking weekend of real mixed bag racing at Brands. Loved the racing but was anyone else upset or even annoyed at the fact that apparently us marshals don't use the normal human bodily functions as there was only on toilet that was open and that was at the kentagon (of it is spelt that way) until it shuts and then thats your lot.
So.... you give up your weekend to marshal, (admitedly it is not as much giving it up but doing somthing i love)You camp out so you are there nice and early and fresh for the day. You arrive to a field with grass akin to pamapas grass which is so wet you can't pitch tent(ok they can't help the wetness) and then find out that there are no showers full stop or toilets after roughly 11o'clock now me as a bloke not too bad i can hide behind a bush but my mrs or the specators who were there with children found this slightly disturbing...Is that the way to make people come for the two days????? Motorsport Vision....someone needs to open their eyes i think..... Sorry if i sounds slightly miffed but i thought it was out of order.
Old 23 May 2004, 22:28 (Ref:980486)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
May I suggest you write to Jonathan Palmer and express your disatisfaction? Unless he hears from people like yourself, he will not be aware there is a problem.
Old 23 May 2004, 22:36 (Ref:980490)   #3
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
one thing i was not sure about which you might be able to answer steve, are the toilets in the camp site etc etc provided by Palmer or the race organiser as there were toilets and showers for the BTCC meet?? don't want to shout too loud without knowing for sure. hope you had a good day, looked like youwere having fun with Mr Stares in the in the sign on queue.
Old 23 May 2004, 22:46 (Ref:980500)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Dan, I think the facilities are provided by MSV so still feel you should write to Jp asap.

Stairs...what can I say
Old 24 May 2004, 17:01 (Ref:981543)   #5
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Cheers I shall

anyone else who camped and felt let down i think should write also. nothing offensive just pointing out that we do need facilities.
Old 24 May 2004, 17:11 (Ref:981556)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Exactly, a well reasoned letter will get far better results than a rant and rave letter.
Old 24 May 2004, 21:21 (Ref:981857)   #7
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan,
I fear your protestations will fall on deaf ears. A few years back I had exactly the same problem at a FFF and the replies were all the same. If it wasn't a high profile event....
//thinks: what constitutes a high profile event??? the CSMA isn't, the FFF isn't, therefore I assume its only TOCA or WSB//
....there wouldn't be any facilities available for camping, but anyone attempting to do so could feel free to use the new paddock facilities though. Fine for the blokes (ahem), but what about the lasses in the middle of the night when it's peeing down with rain.
It was suggested that there were several local campsites available, at what price!
I promptly packed my things and left. Several letters to those supposedly with our interests at heart produced absolutely nothing. Now I'm afraid Brands is on a black list with me if it involves camping.
Old 24 May 2004, 22:40 (Ref:981953)   #8
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
the new paddock toilets... wow they were so nice...well at least from the outside as they were locked at 9pm when we tried to use them.
Old 25 May 2004, 06:55 (Ref:982204)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Chigley, it is fair to say that when you made the complaints the circuit was still in Octagon's hands. Maybe JP has a different approach or game plan ref camping. At the very least it would be worth asking?
Old 25 May 2004, 11:04 (Ref:982405)   #10
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
I emailed BH last night will post the response i get from them with the original letter, assuming i get a response but we all make mistakes perhaps the track made a mistake this weekend, i reserve judgement till i get a response
Old 25 May 2004, 21:53 (Ref:983099)   #11
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I don't just have a point of view on this one, I have two.

1. One as a tent housed marshal who went to Brands once and had the one of the worst weekend's marshalling ever because of the same things dan describes.

2. As a professional who's company business is balancing providing facilities with running a business with shareholders to provide dividend for.

From point of view no1.

Yep Dan, it's very valid to say that a circuit like Brands is not (in it's current state) a very pleasent place to visit if you only have a tent. After being very angry at my experience at Brands, I decided that my return will depend on a combination of change for the better at Brands and me getting better portable facilities of my own. Ultimately, I will vote with my feet. There are tracks that have equally bad facilities, but if that be the case, if my presence and perseverence is genuinely appreciated, I will keep going. The marshals and competitors at Gurston Down and Prescott did, and were eventually rewarded with superb venues. And fingers crossed, Shelsley might get there in time too. If I kept going to other tracks in a poor state, why did I take such upbridge at Brands? I think that the organising clubs like BARC, BRSCC and others that use Brands must take their fair share of responsibility in this regard. They can't just keep blaming the circuit and leaving their loyal marshal crews to take the brunt and not giving a stuff (as j'accuse BARC and BRSCC et al of doing to their shame).

From point of view 2.
If it don't make a prophet or break even at some point, eventually there will be no Brands Hatch, and no meetings to complain about. End of....

A sustainable business has to be in place before JP can justify further the investment in infrastructure that we're demanding. Because JP hasn't done it yet does not mean that he doesn't care and isn't planning to do it ASAP. He's put himself slap bang between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, no money from racing cars means no new facilities. If no new facilities means no marshals, that also means no racing cars - kismet, catch22. For his part, he's got a lot of hard work to keep us and a miriad of others on side until the business can get back on track (pun sort of intended!). While he does that, we can play our part. I think we not only need to put preassure on JP to provide, but we also have to watch how we do it. Most of all we need to balance our approach. By balance I mean be persistant but rational, vocal without shouting. Slowly slowly catchy monkey as one wise cheif marshal once explained to me.

One last thing to bear in mind. Probably the best circuit to marshal at in the country is Castle Combe. It has in it's past been in a very parlous state. Ask yourself these questions about Combe, How long did it take to turn around? How did Howard Strawford acheive it? What was more important, what it eventually became or how long it took? I hope those questions give you some insight into just what a struggle JP has on his hands, and help form a rounded opinion of what to expect from BH & JP.

Rant/dissertation over
Old 25 May 2004, 22:04 (Ref:983116)   #12
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
As an addenda to point of view No1.

My thanks to various chief marshals, deputy chief marshals, friends & clerks, esp those at Gurston, Prescott, Combe and Shelsley. Between that little group of people, they have kept me marshalling despite the best efforts of cirtain other circuits and organisations who nearly got me to the point of quitting the whole thing last year. They know who they are and they might not think they did much, but their help & encouragement was much appreciated.
Old 26 May 2004, 15:19 (Ref:983993)   #13
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
i have removed this sorry

Last edited by danccooke; 26 May 2004 at 15:27.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:19 (Ref:991695)   #14
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: CMSA Brands Hatch Camping or should i say hay field

Quote:
Originally posted by danccooke
Just got back from a cracking weekend of real mixed bag racing at Brands. Loved the racing but was anyone else upset or even annoyed at the fact that apparently us marshals don't use the normal human bodily functions as there was only on toilet that was open and that was at the kentagon (of it is spelt that way) until it shuts and then thats your lot.
Hi,

Sorry to hear that, I was racing that weekend (Orange Mazda RX7) and stayed in the paddock. Just downhill from the Kentagon (back of the scrutineering bay) are built in showers/toilets etc which I certainly used on account of my mass not fitting in the camper shower very well! They were certainly open all night as I've long since needed to go before dawn..

Were you denied access or just didn't realise they were there?

Stacy
Old 2 Jun 2004, 19:47 (Ref:991911)   #15
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
didn't know that they were there, we asked a security gaurd where the toilets were and were told the kentagon were the only ones open,
Thanks for letting me know even though it is a fair hike from the marshalls/spectators campsite i so needed a shower that night. would have used them and will in future
cheers

btw what happened at the end of that race, you pulled out at the last lap didn't you???
Old 2 Jun 2004, 21:43 (Ref:992014)   #16
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i've just come back from doing a 3day Bike meeting at Brands camping at the circuit from Friday night till after racing on Monday and I put my tent up next to the childrens playground to the right as you look at it with the Kentagon on the left along with 5 or 6 others and no one asked us to move.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 08:39 (Ref:992377)   #17
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by danccooke
would have used them and will in future
cheers

btw what happened at the end of that race, you pulled out at the last lap didn't you???
No probs.

Yes, low fuel caused a big stutter which lost the win so I pulled in. Could have cruised for the class win and 3rd, but since it's a one-off wasn't bothered. One of those things, suspect a friend of mine had a duff reading from the dipstick when filling and checking - happened to me before only fortunately not in the race.

Still, had two good showings and two lap records too - pleased with that. It's a damned good event to do - really good weekend, we all enjoyed it, hope you did too!

Cheers

Stacy
Old 3 Jun 2004, 08:44 (Ref:992381)   #18
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stacy, are you not doing as much this year then?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 20:12 (Ref:993134)   #19
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
Stacy, are you not doing as much this year then?
Hello Mate,

Afraid not, spending time this year on various other non-motorsport related projects.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I ever had the time last year!

Cheers

Stacy
Old 4 Jun 2004, 19:38 (Ref:994167)   #20
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stacy - want someone else to drive your car? As it's orange it would be good for a marshal entrant!

Also, I camped for the BTCC event a few weeks ago at Brands and also used the showers behind the scrutineers bay. I only knew they were there due to a chance visit to the loo there one day.
Old 5 Jun 2004, 17:30 (Ref:994797)   #21
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by garybirch
Stacy - want someone else to drive your car? As it's orange it would be good for a marshal entrant!
I'm quite happy having under a cover, it can always come out when the others think they've got any quicker.. ;-)

I'll show it to the Grandkids one day!

Meanwhile I've got two shells now, both very different and awaiting some time to put them together. Fortunately one of them (the more interesting of the two) has sparked the enthusiasm of one of my "team" enough to have it in his garage to put together..

Stacy

Stacy