Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 May 2017, 07:28 (Ref:3735428)   #151
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
All will be different if a News Ltd consortium becomes the new owner..
How so? Do newspapers and pay-TV really carry that much weight?
Old 23 May 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3735434)   #152
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

It was a fair bit more expensive this year, but still FAR cheaper than football, has amazing half-time entertainment, and you can take young kids to it who do not have the attention span for a full day at the car racing, or even a one-day cricket game, let alone tests.
This is the reason why I have has Brisbane Heat membership for the past few years, but would love a Gold Coast team.
Old 23 May 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3735436)   #153
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
This is the reason why I have has Brisbane Heat membership for the past few years, but would love a Gold Coast team.
As much as Tennis tried the same format, and motorsport talks about it, I can't see many other sports succeeding where the 20/20 cricket format has been such a success.

The entertainment is unbelievable, and results sometimes bizarre and unpredictable, I know I watch the Big Bash with more commitment than any other sport - albeit a very dense, 6 week competition.
Old 23 May 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3735437)   #154
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
How so? Do newspapers and pay-TV really carry that much weight?
The NRL and AFL are carried in both extremely heavily...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 May 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3735448)   #155
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The NRL and AFL are carried in both extremely heavily...
But both mediums are/will surely be experiencing declining patronage, and will become less relevant as time goes on?

Not sure if News corp alone could provide the oomph required.
Old 23 May 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3735450)   #156
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't News learn their lesson on the headaches of owning a sport with the Super League debacle?

They happily got rid of their ownership interest in the NRL a few years ago.

That is the angle that surprises me about their interest in buying in?
Old 23 May 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3735464)   #157
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Didn't News learn their lesson on the headaches of owning a sport with the Super League debacle?

Perhaps the benefits to the Foxtel package is the incentive to throw the hat in the ring?
Old 24 May 2017, 01:12 (Ref:3735590)   #158
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the Newscorp/Foxtel promo - The Herald Sun in Melbourne (digital version) has had a motorsport article nearly everyday. Quality/newsworthy is very debatable but motorsport is being represented along with a plug.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:04 (Ref:3736087)   #159
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 26 May 2017, 03:54 (Ref:3736091)   #160
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Buy-back sounds like fun.
Old 29 May 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3737091)   #161
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

News is till in there.
The Broncos are the only publicly listed NRL club. The parent company of the Brisbane Broncos is Nationwide News Pty Ltd., a subsidiary of News Limited, which as of 30 June 2007, owns 68.87% of Broncos shares.

they did own storm, but sold them in 2013.
May 20, 2013 - The Melbourne Storm has been sold by News Ltd to a private consortium gathered by NZ entrepreneur Bart Campbell.

But the article below , does bring out a fair point , in regards to owning and running the show, and then buying into teams within the series.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2010/04/28...s-of-interest/
Old 30 May 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3737339)   #162
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My point was more that they no longer have any ownership of the NRL (they got out in 2012), they are just now effectively one of the participants through the Broncos. (though still have an influence through the Foxtel TV deal)

Not that they really wanted to get into the ownership of any competition back in 1995 of course but had their hand forced to an extent...
Old 31 May 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3737563)   #163
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Big Bash League Loses $33m For Cricket Australia

I am sure that makes sense
Old 31 May 2017, 06:53 (Ref:3737565)   #164
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sort of like how Harry Potter made a $167m loss on a $900m+ gross?

http://www.slashfilm.com/insane-stud...f-the-phoenix/

Funny how these "losses" crop up when there's a revenue sharing deal...
Old 31 May 2017, 09:39 (Ref:3737603)   #165
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is a con by the worker hating mining executives who have taken over Cricket Australia and are attempting to do over the players.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:10 (Ref:3738954)   #166
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard that the prospective buyer only wants to buy Supercars as long as Australian GT championship is part of the deal...
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3738955)   #167
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...hence CAMS announcement today?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3738993)   #168
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
...hence CAMS announcement today?
What the CAMS announcement?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3739007)   #169
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What the CAMS announcement?
Potentially an update to this one:
http://hillclimbnsw.com/Important%20...ligibility.pdf
This was released on May 24th, but yesterday a different CAMS manager issued a revised "important stakeholder announcement" that added more detail, and attached a revised vehicle eligibility list for Sports 2GT. Cars on that list no longer eligible for state series. Try and find either the release or the list on the CAMS website! Probably issued only to said stakeholders.

In general this whole release seems to have been poorly thought out.

And as for the AGT + Supercars connection mentioned above - THE prospective buyer???? Is there only one?

Last edited by RedZedMikey; 6 Jun 2017 at 13:29. Reason: correcting link
Old 7 Jun 2017, 01:44 (Ref:3739136)   #170
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
I've heard that the prospective buyer only wants to buy Supercars as long as Australian GT championship is part of the deal...
Interesting, especially that any buyer of the series would also buy 50% of the Bathurst 12Hr but nothing to do with the actual series that supplies cars to that event.

Fingers crossed that this doesn't eventuate and the AGT championship remains independent of VASC.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 01:54 (Ref:3739139)   #171
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Interesting, especially that any buyer of the series would also buy 50% of the Bathurst 12Hr but nothing to do with the actual series that supplies cars to that event.

Fingers crossed that this doesn't eventuate and the AGT championship remains independent of VASC.
yeah, fingers crossed that half the australian endurance championship should occur in obscure spots of New zealand , far away from the media spotlight and at a track owned by the owner of the championship (No bias or self interest at all)

Last edited by peckstar; 7 Jun 2017 at 01:59.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 02:52 (Ref:3739141)   #172
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

I'm hearing it may already be a done deal.

For me I can't see the potential owners being concerned about Aus GT but are securing the rights to GT3 in case Gen2 goes to the crap house.

Insurance policy for the main game not complete take over
Old 7 Jun 2017, 04:27 (Ref:3739143)   #173
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
yeah, fingers crossed that half the australian endurance championship should occur in obscure spots of New zealand , far away from the media spotlight and at a track owned by the owner of the championship (No bias or self interest at all)
While that statement is true, the current owner hasn't pursued the things other might want or their series.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 05:02 (Ref:3739146)   #174
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm hearing it may already be a done deal.

For me I can't see the potential owners being concerned about Aus GT but are securing the rights to GT3 in case Gen2 goes to the crap house.

Insurance policy for the main game not complete take over
That doesn't bode well for the GT3 category in Australia sadly.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 06:24 (Ref:3739159)   #175
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
That would mean presumebly Supercars would then have to buy the Category Management rights off Tony Quinn, before the sale of Supercars could proceed.

Interesting then to speculate who the buyer of the Archer shares might be then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Quinn owns the series, he can do what he wants with it. Kind of like Supercars can do what they want with their series too. They certainly don't act with any bias or self-interest of course......

I think most people just don't want Supercars having a monopoly on Australian motor racing, though this looks like the way it's heading.