Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Feb 2015, 02:17 (Ref:3508235)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sebring 2015

Post Daytona AoP (1-16-15) .. http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...20%2315-06.pdf

Pre Sebring AoP for all classes (2-23-15) .. http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...s/IMSA-TEC.PDF

L.P.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schedule

Entry List

Track Info

Weather

Spotters Guides

Radio

Timing & Scoring Alternate

FRC

Last edited by joeb; 19 Mar 2015 at 14:56.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 04:56 (Ref:3508254)   #2
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bertolini will join Kaffer and Fisichella for Sebring In the Risi 458.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/be...up-at-sebring/

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 12:10 (Ref:3508368)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A (pre) race thread? Excellent!

Looks like I won't be making the spring trek south this year, but looking forward to it nonetheless.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:47 (Ref:3508503)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Post Daytona AoP (1-16-15) .. http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...20%2315-06.pdf

Pre Sebring AoP for all classes (2-23-15) .. http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...s/IMSA-TEC.PDF
Every time I look at these tables I scratch my head. For the Proto class, why mandate what level of downforce the teams use, wouldn't they always just choose the best option themselves? For Daytona they were mandated to use low downforce kit, and now the high downforce has mandated for Sebring. The other area that I wonder about is the refueling restrictors. They seem to want it to take the same amount of time to refuel all cars. Which is fine if they had the same fuel tank size, but the DW gets "rewarded" for having better fuel economy by getting a smaller refueling restrictor. Also, doesn't the diesel flow slower and therefore the Mazda is being actually taking longer to fuel by using the same restrictor size? GTLM has equally puzzling refueling restrictors.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3508513)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Every time I look at these tables I scratch my head. For the Proto class, why mandate what level of downforce the teams use, wouldn't they always just choose the best option themselves? For Daytona they were mandated to use low downforce kit, and now the high downforce has mandated for Sebring. The other area that I wonder about is the refueling restrictors. They seem to want it to take the same amount of time to refuel all cars. Which is fine if they had the same fuel tank size, but the DW gets "rewarded" for having better fuel economy by getting a smaller refueling restrictor. Also, doesn't the diesel flow slower and therefore the Mazda is being actually taking longer to fuel by using the same restrictor size? GTLM has equally puzzling refueling restrictors.
They have always tried to equalize the 'fueling time', from empty to full, between cars in class.

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3508519)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dixon in with Pruett and Hand in the lone Ganassi.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 19:30 (Ref:3508521)   #7
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Scott Dixon will complete the CGR #01 lineup joining Pruett and Hand. No #02 it seems.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/di...p-for-sebring/

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3508530)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
They have always tried to equalize the 'fueling time', from empty to full, between cars in class.

L.P.
Yes, I just don't like that rule! I say give everyone same fuel tank size and the same refuel restrictor.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3508560)   #9
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I reading the GTLM Ferrari restrictor right? 41.2 compared to every else being around 30 and larger is better in this case?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 22:11 (Ref:3508568)   #10
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche917K View Post
Am I reading the GTLM Ferrari restrictor right? 41.2 compared to every else being around 30 and larger is better in this case?
You are correct, but that is for a single restrictor for the ferrari and 2 restrictors for each of the other cars.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 14:06 (Ref:3508839)   #11
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why such a huge change to the BMW restrictor -19mm.?
Old 25 Feb 2015, 18:11 (Ref:3508914)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Why such a huge change to the BMW restrictor -19mm.?
That is GTD only, and it actually is back to its restrictor from Petit last year. They got a big boost at Daytona.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3509007)   #13
toledo47
Rookie

toledo47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been to Sebring but considering making the trip. Does anyone know where the best spots are to watch from? Are there grandstands? or are lawn chairs needed?

thanks!
Old 25 Feb 2015, 22:34 (Ref:3509021)   #14
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo47 View Post
I've never been to Sebring but considering making the trip. Does anyone know where the best spots are to watch from? Are there grandstands? or are lawn chairs needed?

thanks!
There's all of one small grandstand, so lawn chairs are recommended. It's a long race, so you can wonder and watch the action from multiple locations.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 22:55 (Ref:3509026)   #15
toledo47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
There's all of one small grandstand, so lawn chairs are recommended. It's a long race, so you can wonder and watch the action from multiple locations.
Thanks for the info! I'll make sure to grab the chairs! Do you know which part of the track has the small grandstand?
Old 25 Feb 2015, 23:06 (Ref:3509028)   #16
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the difference between attending the Daytona 24 vs the Sebring 12 hr? I guess the lack of grandstands is a biggie? You probably only can see 1 or 2 turns at the Sebring at a time compared to Daytona where you can see all the way around at times.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 23:10 (Ref:3509030)   #17
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
On the airport side, by turn 14. Correction: Looks like they've added a grandstand at turn 7 as well since I was there in 2013.

The Sebring track map is here. It's 3 3/4 mile circuit, so it's a pretty big track: http://www.sebringraceway.com/fan-info/track-map
Old 25 Feb 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3509032)   #18
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
What is the difference between attending the Daytona 24 vs the Sebring 12 hr? I guess the lack of grandstands is a biggie? You probably only can see 1 or 2 turns at the Sebring at a time compared to Daytona where you can see all the way around at times.
The reason you can see so much at Daytona is because it’s a roval. Grandstands or not, you’re going to see a smaller percentage of the action at most natural-terrain road courses (and that's what Sebring effectively is these days). That's especially true at a track as long as Sebring.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3509033)   #19
toledo47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
On the airport side, by turn 14. Correction: Looks like they've added a grandstand at turn 7 as well since I was there in 2013.

The Sebring track map is here. It's 3 3/4 mile circuit, so it's a pretty big track: http://www.sebringraceway.com/fan-info/track-map
I see a few spots on that map show that there are scoreboards. Are there any viewing areas with a big monitor, like at Road Atlanta?
Old 25 Feb 2015, 23:25 (Ref:3509039)   #20
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
I see a few spots on that map show that there are scoreboards. Are there any viewing areas with a big monitor, like at Road Atlanta?
When I was there two years ago, there was a big monitor in the Party Zone. Not sure about where else they might have one.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 23:53 (Ref:3509046)   #21
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Outside Turn Seven is good. Either side around Three, Four, and Five is good ... cars sometimes pass in Three, and slide off the track exiting Five. Inside Turn Ten is ... special. Drivers' left between Six and Seven is good, because they are accelerating hard from Five to Seven, and you can wander down to outside Seven and all the way back to Three, Four, and Five, cross the footbridge between Six and Seven, and walk over to inside Ten and down towards Nine, which is basically a long curved straight—the cars appear from the trees and accelerate all the way to the braking zone for Ten.

Best bet is to go for a few days and walk a Lot the first day and figure out where you like to be. It's Not that long a race, I find. It seems long, but then suddenly the sun is setting.

For late night I like outside Turn Seven because it is lit, but depending how close to the corner you get you can still see some nice brake-rotor glow if you are into that, and Seven is another overtaking/Oops zone. There are also a couple spots between Three and Five like that, where the cars come out of darkeness, into the light, and disappear into darkness ... if you like that sort of thing.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3509065)   #22
toledo47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Best bet is to go for a few days and walk a Lot the first day and figure out where you like to be. It's Not that long a race, I find. It seems long, but then suddenly the sun is setting.
I have not been to Sebring, but I have done Petit Le Mans 3 times which is a little shorter, but I agree that it does not feel that long! I should be able to go Friday, So i'll try to scope things out before Saturday, but I always like to check online and see if I can figure out the best areas to check out before I get to the track!

I probably wouldn't be doing Sebring this year, but Formula E Miami is the weekend before, makes for a perfect double race trip. Makes the long trip a lot more worth it! IndyCar at St Petersburg is the weekend after as well, which would make a perfect south Florida triple race trip but I can't afford to do them all.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 01:05 (Ref:3509077)   #23
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you have been to PLM then it's the same deal but no hills ... and no mud, but watch out for fire ants.

I hope you get more responses because I know my habits are limited and there is a lot of track to walk. Some folks here must have different favorite viewing spots?
Old 26 Feb 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3509079)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Sebring is pretty much the exact opposite of Road Atlanta in just about every way. They have a scoreboard in the hairpin that i am sure was there when Steve McQueen raced in the 12 hours.

Check the viewing mounds out and walk the fences. Its a long walk everywhere but usually worth it the effort. T10 after dark is a hoot. Hell, everywhere in Green Park is a zoo 24 / 7. If you are looking for chill camping, don't camp in Green Park and maybe find a hotel. Watch for couch fires everywhere but especially on the viewing mound at the hairpin on the last lap.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 01:19 (Ref:3509083)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If you have been to PLM then it's the same deal but no hills ... and no mud, but watch out for fire ants.

I hope you get more responses because I know my habits are limited and there is a lot of track to walk. Some folks here must have different favorite viewing spots?
I like 3-5 as well, but Gurney to the hairpin to T10 is where I spent the majority of my time in that place. Outside of 7 is pretty cool getting towards sunset, too.

Both Road Atlanta and Sebring a relics but Sebring is a special place. I got more goosebumps entering it the first time than I did for my first trips to Daytona and Indy. Such a lovely dump for a race and a whacky and wild FLA party.