Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Jun 2002, 09:39 (Ref:323411)   #1
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember watching the Kincraft at brands a few times,the sound and power was something to talk about at the time,I always thought it was painted white.Anyone remember this car.
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg  
Old 28 Jun 2002, 10:03 (Ref:323427)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So that's what the Berpop looked like! I've got lots of references to it in programmes and things, but never seen a picture before.

Sheer delightful madness. Wonder where it is now?
Old 28 Jun 2002, 10:07 (Ref:323431)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes of course! The Berpop.
I remember it from 1968/69 in Special saloons.
It had a 1650 Ford engine and was sometimes driven by John Wales aswell as owner Mike Berman.
I recall it being a dark green but think it was blue for a while too. Looks more suited to drag Racing than circuits!
Do you have any more old pics like this of great club cars from the time?
The Kincraft was definitely red. The other hairy libre cars regularly around at the time were Carlos Avallone's F5000 Lola T190(white) and Willie Forbes yellow version.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:21 (Ref:323483)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lola T190s were much later c.1970.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:34 (Ref:323494)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, by the time Avallone got his it was probably about 1971-2. IIRC there were a number of old F1 Coopers running in FL with Ford and Chevy engines in the late 60s, some of which went on to run occasionally in F5000 in 1969: Chris Lawrence comes to mind here, or am I thinking of the Cooper-Ferrari?

Bob Marley
Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:47 (Ref:323502)   #6
racing fxgt
Racer

Here's another one
Attached Thumbnails
image9.jpg  
Old 28 Jun 2002, 12:07 (Ref:323519)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ooops!! I meant Lola T142 - 1969. Kincraft was still running then in F.Libre.
Nice shot of George Whiteheads WRA Engineering Anglia. My Dad was a mechanic at the time on another Lotus engined Anglia in the Redex and Osram special saloon Championships. It was a metallic green owned by John Bond-Smith.The driver was Stan Matthews who then went to the JRRDS at Snetterton to learn to race properly!
He came on quite well and got into F3 and F.Atlantic with a few podiums ( never won in F3 though).
Any photos of Stan by any chance?
Old 28 Jun 2002, 12:28 (Ref:323537)   #8
racing fxgt
Racer

Is it this one
Attached Thumbnails
anglia1.jpg  
Old 28 Jun 2002, 12:44 (Ref:323556)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
No, not that one - it was definitely a lightish metallic green with silver wheels and black number roundels. Don't know who that is in the shot - or the following Mini's! It's Mallory though, Devil's Elbow.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 22:41 (Ref:355591)   #10
RX3
Rookie

RX3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I remember Berpop!

It was with some surprise that I saw the heading, 'Do you remember Berpop.'

As a car mad teenager living in Kingston, surrey during the sixties, anything that raced was of great intrest. I cant remember which year, or years, it lived there, it was probably between 63 and 66. There was a small, shed like garage in Elm road, Kingston. We used to stop and look at this strange looking pop and try to work out how they got the Morris 8 series E wings on it. It had Berpop painted on it and was a dark colour that I can't rmember. The wheels were wide, but not as wide as shown in your picture.

It was because of this car,(and because they were so cheap), that my first 3 cars were Pops.

Sorry I can't remember more, but I will have a word with my mate at the time and see what he remembers.

Thanks for awakening an old memory.

Lloyd
Old 11 Aug 2002, 23:03 (Ref:355604)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow! Thanks for the reminiscences, Lloyd. And welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you'll find some more delights to jog your memory amongst the threads.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 08:19 (Ref:355810)   #12
racing fxgt
Racer

Here's another picture of the Berpop.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 08:28 (Ref:355813)   #13
racing fxgt
Racer

Here's another picture of the Berpop.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 08:36 (Ref:355816)   #14
racing fxgt
Racer

Bit of a cock up with the post I'll try again
Attached Thumbnails
pop2.jpg  
Old 12 Aug 2002, 08:38 (Ref:355817)   #15
racing fxgt
Racer

And this one of it's 130hp 1650 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
popengine.jpg  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2902312)   #16
Lloyd.L
Rookie

Lloyd.L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just came accross this old thread in which I posted as RX3, which I had totally forgotten about and, in hindsight, got the date a bit wrong I think! It just happens that I am now making a 1/43 model of Berpop in the form shown and was looking for colour photos. racing fxgt's colour photo helps a lot but if anyone has any other photos I would be very grateful.

Regards, Lloyd

Last edited by Lloyd.L; 20 Jun 2011 at 10:45.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2903298)   #17
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That chassis looks a bit Triumph Herald ?
Old 22 Jun 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2904269)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd.L View Post
I just came accross this old thread in which I posted as RX3, which I had totally forgotten about and, in hindsight, got the date a bit wrong I think! It just happens that I am now making a 1/43 model of Berpop in the form shown and was looking for colour photos. racing fxgt's colour photo helps a lot but if anyone has any other photos I would be very grateful.

Regards, Lloyd
Unfortunately the colour shot comes over as a little blue,I seem to remember Mike telling me it was a Rootes group colour,Sherwood Green.[Chrysler were not really known over here in those days]
Old 22 Jun 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2904273)   #19
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was an amazing creation and I had the pleasure of racing against it in a Supersaloon race at Mallory Park in April 1974. I think by this time it had a V8 (Rover?) engine and was driven by Martin Sellicks. As I exited the Esses on the opening or second lap I was confronted by the Berpop spinning wildly all over the track. I'm not sure if it was driver overexuberance or a mechanical problem but it retired with only 1 lap completed.

I'm not sure if it ever raced again after that.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2904285)   #20
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
It was an amazing creation and I had the pleasure of racing against it in a Supersaloon race at Mallory Park in April 1974. I think by this time it had a V8 (Rover?) engine and was driven by Martin Sellicks. As I exited the Esses on the opening or second lap I was confronted by the Berpop spinning wildly all over the track. I'm not sure if it was driver overexuberance or a mechanical problem but it retired with only 1 lap completed.

I'm not sure if it ever raced again after that.
Yes, it was Rover V8 engined in the end. I was there spectating that day and seem to remember it was caused by (or the excuse was) oil on the back tyres... (Also, wasn't it painted dark brown by this stage, and possibly sponsored by the British Shoe Corporation, or one of their companies - Freeman Hardy & Willis who's offices were based in Leicester at that time?)

Last edited by VIVA GT; 22 Jun 2011 at 15:21. Reason: Additional information spung to mind after posting
Old 22 Jun 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2904488)   #21
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was certainly a dark colour and could well have been chocolate brown though I can't remember the signwriting. I think there was a picture in one of the weekly comics at the time.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2904952)   #22
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could be very wrong, but was there not a really good thread on the car on here? (a zillion pics too?)
Last i saw of it was with a 'new' front end in the style of the E93A and in silver.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2904971)   #23
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Berpop

Hi guys can I let some light into this discussion. Mike Berman was a friend of mine, and the Berpop began life as a road smoker, and we used to drive down to Silverstone in it, from Mikes garage in Oadby, Leicestershire. Mike Berman was an engineer by trade, and built the Berpop just for fun, hence he let other people drive it, and he was such a nice bloke that often he would have all kinds of cadgers asking him if they could race Berpop, and of course Mike said yes.
The car was a dark blue. For the gentleman asking for information on Berpop, then I suggest he asks Mike, who has a theatrical costumiers in Leicester.
He is a quiet unassuming kind of chap, and if you do get to speak to him, tell him I said Hi!
Good Luck.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2904979)   #24
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could this be Mike Berman's prototype then? I took this photo at Castle Combe on 21st August 1965. It says in the programme that the driver is P. Clarke and the car is an LMB Ford 1172cc.
Attached Thumbnails
Berpop.jpg  
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:07 (Ref:2905055)   #25
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to know he is still about!

I remember the car from my old 70's Hot Rod days and i think a feature in Custom or Hot Car magazine.
If you google the Berpop name it springs-up a lot of info and pics.