Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Apr 2003, 00:26 (Ref:572687)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the Historic forum because...

... People here don't think Brands look better since it was remodeled based on Auschwitz!

... I don't have to explain who Danny Ongias is.

... Here, oversteer doesn't mean you made a mistake (well, not always, at least)!
Old 18 Apr 2003, 08:15 (Ref:572875)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
..... despite the fact that I have been following the sport for over 40 years, you guys on the forum know more than I do and I keep picking up new and interesting details. This is all in stark contrast to the 'outside' World to whom if I mentioned the DBR1/300, they'd probably think I was talking about a new laser printer or digital camera!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Apr 2003, 09:26 (Ref:572921)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
....we are talking about real cars, more power than grip, oversteer, cars of beauty when Le Mans meant beautiful streamlined shapes not the house bricks of today (although the Bentley is very nice but could do with a screaming V12 rather than a muted turbo), picturesque circuits where you could watch close up rather than looking over an acre of gravel through Stalag 17 fencing, no stupid noise limits/silencers to satisfy the nimbys, drivers accessible to their fans, Jimmy Clark in a Lotus Cortina, Ronnie through woodcote, the Bruce and Denny show, F3 with 2 heats and a final six abreast at Silverstone, ERA, GT40, P4, 250F, Lotus 25, gentlemanly driving standards,open faced helmets and goggles, Goodwood. Need I say more?
Old 18 Apr 2003, 09:33 (Ref:572927)   #4
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
.. you should take up painting Kitson. So eloquent ...
Old 18 Apr 2003, 13:26 (Ref:573146)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Agreed.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 14:00 (Ref:573191)   #6
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The neat thing is that it's a place to talk about things that the majority of race fans don't know about. I remember watching Moss' win at Monaco in the Lotus, the BRM Turbine at LeMans and IndyCars (USAC then) at Trenton, NJ with the dog leg back stretch on ABC's Wide World of Sports. How many people remember those things? It's tough when you want to talk to people, but all you get is blank stares and questions about how Dale Jr. did last weekend. I may be on the road to fossilization, but it sounds like I'm in good company. By the way, who remembers the BRM H-16? Its only win was right up the road here.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 14:42 (Ref:573231)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
....we are talking about real cars, more power than grip, oversteer, cars of beauty
*Ahem* I race a Capri.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 15:01 (Ref:573239)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think Ive ever seen Wrex in here
Old 18 Apr 2003, 15:45 (Ref:573268)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by flatlander_48
By the way, who remembers the BRM H-16? Its only win was right up the road here.
Mmm... Failed concept, but that sound of that monster!!!

The oval at Trenton was great, only oval in the world with a right turn!

I was born way too late to make it out there for a race, but if you've got Indycar Racing II, you can probably download the track. I know I've played it in the Mac version. Great fun.

Stupid yuppies in Jersey are trying to get all the tracks in the state closed down. Too low-brow for the commuters.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 18 Apr 2003 at 15:46.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 16:07 (Ref:573290)   #10
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I promise I'm not name dropping but my mate's got that H16. It's been to Goodwood and he drove it at Donington, guest of Mr Wheatcroft, privately, and reckons it was dead smooth to drive at slow speed. Half a plan to ask Mr Stewart whether he'd give it a run out at some stage ...
Have you seen the shots of it in the air at old Nurburgring?
Old 18 Apr 2003, 19:02 (Ref:573436)   #11
NGS
Rookie

NGS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love this forum because here, we talk about real balls-out driving and racing, and real racetracks.

Nigel Graham Schlemming
Old 18 Apr 2003, 19:42 (Ref:573468)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
I promise I'm not name dropping but my mate's got that H16.
I think I know who you mean John.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 20:18 (Ref:573492)   #13
flatlander_48
Racer

I have Grand Prix Legends and someone did some sampling and manipulation to get the H-16 sound more accurate. If it was representative, it was a very distinct sound: a low-pitched roar with a whine superimposed over it. The H-16 was another one of those ideas that should have worked, but...
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:02 (Ref:575018)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: I love the Historic forum because...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

No?

I know Danny Ongais though.......
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:41 (Ref:575068)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, like you've never made a typo.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 23:32 (Ref:575218)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like it cos I don't have a touring car racer callin me an anorak like I do at work!
Old 21 Apr 2003, 01:48 (Ref:575262)   #17
flatlander_48
Racer

Re: I love the Historic forum because...

Or more specifically, Danny OnTheGas...

Also, he was one of a very few top notch drag racers to move to Indy cars. Anybody hazard a guess as to others who have made the transition?

Last edited by flatlander_48; 21 Apr 2003 at 01:48.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 01:57 (Ref:575267)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Hmm... Gentilozzi started in dragsters, and owns a Champcar team now...
Old 21 Apr 2003, 12:56 (Ref:575574)   #19
flatlander_48
Racer

Actually, for Indy Cars, I was thinking about Art Malone. Don Garlits hired him to drive his 2nd Top Fuel car. Eventually he went on to drive the Novi at the Speedway.

However, I didn't know about Gentilozzi. I only knew him from the Trans-Am series where he went a l-o-n-g time before his first win.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 14:20 (Ref:579442)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
I dont think Ive ever seen Wrex in here
I thought this forum was for the elderly? (sorry Tim )
Old 24 Apr 2003, 15:22 (Ref:579517)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, yet another erudite and lucid remark from our favourite Race Official.