Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Apr 2003, 18:21 (Ref:582268)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Zakspeed/Phoenix

Am I right in thinking that Phoenix Motorsport (of DTM fame) was set up a few years ago by ex-Zakspeed personnel? I seem to remember Phoenix Audi A4s in the STW running in the dark green livery with red and white striped that Zakspeed had run in the '98 GT Championship. Are there any links between the two teams now?

(And why won't Zakspeed get back into international sportscar racing???)
Old 27 Apr 2003, 18:28 (Ref:582271)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
If am right Zakspeed is racing in V8Stars championship with the green Kaufhoff cars and racing with a Viper in the German Endurance championship. The V8Stars had a difficult start (only 16 entries) last weekend.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 19:06 (Ref:582301)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The Zakspeed Porsche GT1 had that green Jever livery, don't know of this was the same as the Phoenix Audi's.

I thought Phoenix was founded by some drivers (Reuter included). I looked on the Phoenix website but could not find anything about their history. Manual Reuter drove for the Joest (Opel Calibra) in DTM, Team SMS and Team Holzer (Opel Vectra) in STW and raced never for Zakspeed.

Zakspeed builded a Volvo DTM car but was not allowed to race in 2000. So maybe the people that were involved in this project went to Phoenix but this is just speculation.

But to be honoust I think that there are and were no links between both teams.

Last edited by FIRE; 27 Apr 2003 at 19:15.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 21:10 (Ref:582357)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, Phoenix certainly had the Zakspeed livery and sponsor in 1999; they entered the STW as "Jever Audi-Team AZK Phoenix" with a pair of A4 Quattros for Michael Bartels (a Zakspeed driver in 1998) and Arnd Meier. I thought I remembered reading that the team was founded by Zakspeed personnel when Zakspeed stopped racing for 1999, but that recollection could be mistaken.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 02:20 (Ref:582461)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out www.zakspeed.de for up to date info. It seems Zakspeed has been trying to find their place in the motorsports world these past few years. They tried returning to the DTM under the Volvo banner, but sadly Volvo, blocked their entry. In '01, they tried racing in CART. It seems they are settling on the V8 Star. Hopefully, they can find their home there.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 09:55 (Ref:582640)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
V8-STAR seems a waste of a good team. The championship is not really of the first rank, nor are many of the drivers competing in it. It suffers from comparison with the DTM. Zakspeed should try to get hold of a pair of DTM Mercs, just like the old days...
Old 28 Apr 2003, 19:29 (Ref:583128)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
What happened to Zakspeed, I mean they did F1, DTM, FiaGT. And now they are racing in national series like V8Stars and Langstreckenpokal.

I think they will not comeback to DTM because there is some old pain. It's still a big shame that Volvo did not allow them to do DTM.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 20:46 (Ref:583185)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, a great shame, and an inexplicable one. Volvo wasn't, as far as I'm aware, being asked to pony up any cash; and you never know, Zakspeed might have been successful - for free!

Incidentally, does anyone know what engine the Zakspeed Volvo was going to use? Presumably a Ford V8?
Old 28 Apr 2003, 22:56 (Ref:583277)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Incidentally, does anyone know what engine the Zakspeed Volvo was going to use? Presumably a Ford V8?
A Judd KV4 I believe.
http://www.engdev.com/kv4spec.htm
...which isn't a Volvo engine - and that was the problem right there. Volvo simply didn't want to be in the series, it was their right to veto this.
You are right about the Phoenix-Zakspeed connection, Phoenix was founded by ex-Zakspeed people.
The V8STAR is going down fast. The organisers have made mistakes, and the whole concept just isn't as attractive as they thought it would be. Instead of the one series that will eclipse all the others, it's just one of many - and there are too many series in Germany. V8STAR will IMO fall by the wayside. (But this is touring cars so it doesn't belong here
Old 28 Apr 2003, 23:47 (Ref:583302)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to mention one more aspect about the Zakspeed DTM deal: every manufacturer involved in the DTM has to supply a certain minimum number of racecars. Zakspeed wanted dispensation to run just the one car (and "maybe" build a customer chassis or two if anyone wanted one); the DTM governing body ITR said no. At the time, Audi already had such a dispensation (and judging by how many cars they are running compared with Opel and Merc, they still seem to have it... ) so they simply wouldn't let Zakspeed run under these conditions. Zakspeed then tried to sell the project to another manufacturer but with no result.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 10:39 (Ref:583618)   #11
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Zakspeed should enter the FIA SCC with a Lola, or enter the FIA GT with a Lister or Viper, y'know, just to keep their eye in, so to speak. They'd do a great job.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:41 (Ref:583784)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'd run a Saleen, myself; the Viper's getting very long in the tooth now. It would be good to see Zakspeed back in international sportscar racing, and good for Germany to have another team up there, in the absence of Kremer.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 17:37 (Ref:584063)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Cybersdorf: Are you shure it was the Judd engine? I always thought it was a 4L Ford engine.

If am right in the rules is stated that a DTM car needs an "own" engine. For example Opel can (or uses?) an engine from Chevrolet and Mercedes can use a Chrysler engine.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 23:53 (Ref:584414)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'm fairly sure that Opel use the old 4-litre GM engine from the IRL. Don't know where the Merc. lump is from.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 06:34 (Ref:584583)   #15
martins
Rookie

martins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am pretty sure that it wasn't a V8 but a V10 in the Zakspeed-Volvo -> Judd!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 07:59 (Ref:584651)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Are V10s allowed in the DTM? I thought it was V8-only.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 08:15 (Ref:584667)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Just found some pictures of the Zakspeed DTM Volvo:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/kaspoli/tes...m/zakspeed.htm

Handsome thing. Shame it never raced.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 18:35 (Ref:585425)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Just found some pictures of the Zakspeed DTM Volvo: Handsome thing. Shame it never raced.
There's also this race-ready version.
http://home.planet.nl/~marc.hesselbe...reme_c702.html

Actually, Zakspeed did attempt to race the C70 in the 2000 24 hours of Nurburgring race. I think it DNF due to engine probs but managed a mid place ranking.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 18:43 (Ref:585435)   #19
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by martins
I am pretty sure that it wasn't a V8 but a V10 in the Zakspeed-Volvo -> Judd!
No it was a Judd, but a V8.
DTM engines have to be generic; so some manufacturer would have had to pick the Judd engine up as their own, and back the project all the way. And it would have meant more dispensations for DTM to give...