Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 10 Sep 2002, 23:35 (Ref:377757)   #1
Mickje
Rookie

Mickje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Complete novice

I'm very keen to get into circuit driving, but have never driven on a circuit before. Would I be better off going to a race school for a day, or just heading to the nearest track day and picking it up as I go along?
Old 11 Sep 2002, 09:56 (Ref:377813)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you are serious I suggest you get the MSA video and apply for your ards course. If you'd like to meet some drivers and instructors you could get along to Mallory Park 15 October for the CTCRC track day. The details are availble on http://www.csccgb.co.uk/
Old 11 Sep 2002, 11:05 (Ref:377871)   #3
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Complete novice

Quote:
Originally posted by Mickje
I'm very keen to get into circuit driving, but have never driven on a circuit before. Would I be better off going to a race school for a day, or just heading to the nearest track day and picking it up as I go along?
Best advice would be to call the Gold Track Driving Club on 01327 361361.

The club is run by Calum Lockie (2000 GT Champion and current Ferrari GT driver), and his girlfriend.

Very safe environment, used to novices and top instructors to guide you through at whatever pace you're comfortable with.

If you get the bug and want to race afterwards, there are a lot of experienced and successful racers in the club for advice too.

I had my first track day with them a few years back, and with experience of a number of other organisers, while track days don't do it for me anymore, if they did, I'd only go with them.

Stacy
Old 11 Sep 2002, 11:44 (Ref:377903)   #4
ShinyAndy
Rookie

ShinyAndy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Complete novice

Quote:
Originally posted by stacy

I had my first track day with them a few years back, and with experience of a number of other organisers, while track days don't do it for me anymore, if they did, I'd only go with them.

Stacy
May I ask why ?

Andy
BookaTrack.com
Old 11 Sep 2002, 12:38 (Ref:377940)   #5
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Complete novice

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinyAndy

May I ask why ?

Andy
Sure,

A group of us had a track day with them at a time when there were only two or three organisers, and experience counts for a lot. They instilled a safety regime which meant in all the ensuing years of full calenders, I heard of one altercation between two cars - and that although minor, resulted in a ban. It's sessioned, policed, and the instructors are good quality.

There's a friendly club atmosphere too, which counts for a lot.

Conversely, when needing test days with a race car I've turned up on track days expecting to have to drive in the manner I had been used to - only to find it's been effectively a free for all full on test day.

At the start of this season a friend of mine was forced off the circuit and wiped half of his car off just before round 1, at another track day because of a novice weaving about the track.

No disrespect to you, but incidents like this seem a lot more frequent nowadays, and so fair or not, I choose the old guard. I'm sure there are others who are equally good, but it would mean cost and experimenting. I just play the percentage game.

Stacy
Old 11 Sep 2002, 13:26 (Ref:377982)   #6
ShinyAndy
Rookie

ShinyAndy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few things:

We are members of the Association of Track Day Organisers and so work from the same book as GoldTrack.

We use instructors from 1-2-1 Instruction (one of which is Hyla Breeze who is currently racing in the BTCC) at all our events

We are quite unique in our overtaking rules which means that in the 150 or so events, over 2 years, that we have organised we have only had one inter-car contact and this was due to the pitlane marshal at Donington letting out a car when another car was coming down the straight. Our rules on overtaking are quite clear and normally come as a shock to people used to testdays.

1) Overtaking is on the left only
2) Overtaking is on the straights only (ie not around any corners or under braking)
3) Overtaking is by consent only, which means that you can only pass the car in front when they clearly indicate that they have seen you and want you to pass

Our days are run either sessioned or open pit depending on the venue and numbers.

We have very few problems at our days and are very quick to reprimand anyone caught disobeying any of our rules. To quote from our recent letter to Circuit Driver: "by far the biggest perpetrators of stoppages are those with race licences. Before anyone thinks that this is due to number of attendees, it's not - we attract around 30-40% novices at all our events, and typically less than 10% of drivers will have a race license"

I honestly feel your view of trackday organisers maybe be somewhat out of date and maybe you should experience some other ATDO registered companies before passing judgement

Andy
BookaTrack.com

Last edited by ShinyAndy; 11 Sep 2002 at 13:28.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 13:47 (Ref:378003)   #7
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Fair comments.

It sounds to me like you're running a tight ship, and good luck to you. As I said though, while that's the case with you, I have done days with other companies who are not as thorough. Some of these were ATDO registered.

The phrase which springs to mind though is "speak as you find", which is all anyone does. That's not meant be a "judgement" on you, and to be fair you shouldn't take it as such..

Stacy
Old 11 Sep 2002, 22:17 (Ref:378349)   #8
Brianv
Rookie

Brianv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I agree i have had track days with Bookatrack and others
all were well run but Bookatrack is the best not only for their level of organisation but their friendly club atmosphere, but i agree most "ripples" come from experinced track drivers (hope i am not included in this !).By the way Andy are you coming to the CSCC Mallory track day on the 15th ?
Old 12 Sep 2002, 10:03 (Ref:378604)   #9
Robert XR4x4
Rookie

Robert XR4x4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mickje - Have a look at my site as we started to do track days a couple of years ago and you may find some of the info usefull, there is also an FAQ as well. (IE 4 and above only though)
cheers
Robert
Old 26 Sep 2002, 11:19 (Ref:388764)   #10
PolarisDriver
Rookie

PolarisDriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also take a look at our site... you can get out in one of our Porsches and if the bug really bites we can offer drives in the new Porsche 944 series in 2003.
good luck, AD
Old 26 Sep 2002, 11:19 (Ref:388766)   #11
PolarisDriver
Rookie

PolarisDriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...that's www.polarisdrive.co.uk then!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 23:56 (Ref:428205)   #12
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Complete novice

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinyAndy
May I ask why ?

Andy
BookaTrack.com
Shiny dude what are you doing on here!!! PS you aren't allowed to plug URLs in signatures on here I don't think, careful!!