Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 13 Feb 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3368220)   #1
brandscooper
Rookie

brandscooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for a Mechanically Injected VW F3 engine.

As the title suggests I'm looking for an early VW F3 motor for use in a classic f3 car. Also if anyone out there is knowledgeable about these engines and their history/development i'd be interested to make contact.
Thanks!
Old 24 Feb 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3371824)   #2
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandscooper View Post
As the title suggests I'm looking for an early VW F3 motor for use in a classic f3 car. Also if anyone out there is knowledgeable about these engines and their history/development i'd be interested to make contact.
Thanks!
I think most of them ended up in France. We used to run them in arp F3 in a ralt rt32 and 34 over about 4 or 5 years. They are more prone to detonation than the Toyota however they are faster and lighter by a good amount. We had horrific reliability problems with them even with the electronic ignition that you are not allowed to use in CF3. If you choose vw then make sure you have the spiess twin cam wide belt as the thin 8v one used to jump and destroy the engine. The fuel metering pump belt used to jump as well off of the start line which would cause the engine to go flat. The starter is located under the exhaust so make sure you fit a heat protector as once they are hot the starter will not work. The starter is fitted with twin universal joints which cause it to stay engaged which then burns out the motor too. I think (not certain) you can Fit a large flywheel which will allow the starter motor to be mounted direct without the joints this would be a really good idea if possible.

Hope the above helps and good luck.

Benn Simms
Old 1 Mar 2014, 02:08 (Ref:3373433)   #3
brandscooper
Rookie

brandscooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, thanks for the info.
Now i just need to find one!
Old 5 Mar 2014, 06:06 (Ref:3375207)   #4
Lola
Veteran

England