Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Apr 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3524287)   #1
Trikes
Rookie

Australia
Australia Hobart
Trikes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Launch Pitch Tuning FWD

As the heading states I'm looking to tune my Pitch on Starts and lower my 60 ft Times in the Hill Climbs here in Oz.

Any ideas?

I have watched the BTCC cars off the Line and they don't rise in the front much at all at the Starts.

I thought of Rubber Inserts in between the Spring Coils but that would probably tighten the rear suspension for the rest of the Course. Although, one track here in particular only has one corner.......

I don't have a LSD yet but I have got A050's in Super Soft and Yellow Speed Coil Overs. Dampers are 33 way adjustable and height adjustable but I've only had one test day with them so far where I was looking to dial out a handling irregularity.

I've gutted everything out from behind the Drivers seat to reduce rear weight (33kg).

Corner Weights are pretty close to 50 / 50.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3525057)   #2
Turby
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
Turby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For drag starts in FWD I'd be looking at moving as much weight as possible over the driven wheels and stiffening the back as much as possible to minimise weight transfer off the front tyres during the launch. If you have corners as well then you will have to make compromises between launching and corner handling. An LSD will help in maximising traction as well. Have you thought about fitting electronic traction control ?
CSCC TinTops #7
Old 12 Apr 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3526376)   #3
Trikes
Rookie

Australia
Australia Hobart
Haven't thought about electronic traction control but I will eventually go LSD. Just not sure which one or brand. Getting back on about stopping or restricting the front rising / back going down I forgot to put these in http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Proton-Sa...3D190580705939
Old 20 Apr 2015, 04:01 (Ref:3529181)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For FWD you want the rear suspension about 40% stiffer than the front and an LSD is vital. For a car like yours, LSD is the one thing that will make the most improvement.

A close ratio gearbox will also give you a huge benefit, not to 60' times of course, but to your whole ET.
Old 10 May 2015, 10:48 (Ref:3536072)   #5
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As above, but I run about 60% stiffer on the back,
You just can't underestimate the diff

I know a lot of FWD drag races disconnect he front anti roll bar because it can bind through the travel,

NFI myself, corners are more fun
Old 8 Apr 2016, 08:20 (Ref:3631140)   #6
sambeeb
Rookie

Australia
sydney
sambeeb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm after similar advice to Trikes. I'm just curious when you guys say that the rear should be 40 or 60% stiffer than the front, is that taken as total roll stiffness (springs and bars) or were you only talking about springs since the OP was talking about straight line launches

sam
Old 11 Apr 2016, 09:25 (Ref:3631836)   #7
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was talking straight wheel rate
Old 23 Sep 2016, 08:39 (Ref:3674487)   #8
Trikes
Rookie

Australia
Australia Hobart
Quite by accident I discovered a really good improvement to Launch's. I installed PU Mounts (My Satria GTi use's 4) and it was astounding the big improvement in traction off the Line (60ft). At days end (HillClimb) I was in the top 3 overall. Was leading at Lunch time. That's against more powerful cars, AWD etc etc. A couple of Evo's got me. But the car's ability to project forward has me smiling. My Launch rpm's have increased from 3200 to over 5000rpm. Overall Course Time reduced by just over a second (PB). I load the drive-line up against the Handbrake and slip the Clutch. I've a Button Cushion Clutch (Extreme).