Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Apr 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1574065)   #1
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
e30nerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Brands Hatch clio accident

Guys, for those of you at Brands today, can anyone shed any light on how this chap is? It looked very serious indeed.

Hope he is ok, not a nise way to end an otherwise very enjoyable day

Old 8 Apr 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1574076)   #2
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
sorry that should say 'nice' - outside the 10 min edit time!!
Old 8 Apr 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1574131)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Good pics of a rather nasty accident. Naturally we are not permitted to say on a public forum whether the driver is ok or not, as that is the responsibility of the organising club, in this case BARC.

I notice the pics were shot from in front of the debris fence, were you one of the photographers at the scene or a marshal with quick fingers?
Old 8 Apr 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1574149)   #4
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Dave (for it is he) was in one of the hospitality suites.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1574152)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Many thanks John...Maybe see you tomorrow as I am on Post 3?
Old 8 Apr 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1574153)   #6
jezbraker
Rookie

jezbraker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also very much hoping the chap was ok he just seemed to keep going and going in the gravel - it went off allong way up the hill.

was sitting along side dave in the Lotus-on-Track box - both of us playing with cameras - hence the non fence angle steve.

Old 8 Apr 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1574160)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Cheers Jez, hope to see you later in the year for a Seloc meeting?
Old 8 Apr 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1574195)   #8
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
Thanks Steven - yep both John and Jez have confirmed where I shooting from. Really hope the chap was ok, I'll keep an eye out for any BARC announcment
Old 8 Apr 2006, 22:25 (Ref:1574198)   #9
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When did this happen guys? I stood there for the final race and left about 6 laps in.

Alex
Old 8 Apr 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1574199)   #10
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
Alex, I think it was with about 3 laps to go.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1574206)   #11
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that. I left as the field started to get abit spread out.

I do feel for these guys...its a cheap way to go racing and when you get into something like that it can turn into a very expensive hobby.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1574209)   #12
andreww
Rookie

andreww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol i wouldnt call 50 grand a season cheap !

What happened anyway, how did he come off ?
Old 8 Apr 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1574215)   #13
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Fraid that I can't get there Stephen. Will have to make do with TV this time
Old 8 Apr 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1574216)   #14
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
I didn't see it start as there was action else where on the circuit at the time, just happened to see the dust start to be kicked up
Old 9 Apr 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1574342)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What you guys are forgetting is that this kind of "Incident" is fairly normal for Clio's!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1574491)   #16
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You took the words right out of my mouth (Didn't some fat bloke sing that once!!)

Slightly off topic, but still about Brands, Isn't it a bit confussing having two flag post so close together on the pit straight, every time the safety car went in you would still see a yellow about 20 mtrs from the start line where you could also see a green.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1574507)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
CombeMarshal, I'm glad it's not just me then! I've been wondering that all day! From the TV angle the post showing the waved yellow seems to be after the start/finish point that is waving a green!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1574536)   #18
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
What you guys are forgetting is that this kind of "Incident" is fairly normal for Clio's!
This one is slightly unusual, though - there appears to be only one car involved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
were you one of the photographers at the scene or a marshal with quick fingers?
Is that a trick question - if he'd said he was a marshal would you have given him a verbal wrist-slapping for using a camera?
Old 9 Apr 2006, 16:53 (Ref:1574651)   #19
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Regrettably, Yes! Every time Renault UK carry out Official Testing, we get a Clio 'roll' at Paddock. On Post 2 we were thinking of opening a book!; as on Friday, young Nelson in 66 managed it all by himself, luckily without injury, and the Stanscombe outfit spent most of the night rebuilding his car for him and why it had the 'citroen' ripple roof. The record was one about two years ago on a FRenault/Clio Test day, when we got it over with by the Clio rolling at Paddock by 0916 hours! Then, lo and behold one varied the pattern by rolling into the gravel trap (as was!) outside Post 22.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1574683)   #20
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
CombeMarshal, I'm glad it's not just me then! I've been wondering that all day! From the TV angle the post showing the waved yellow seems to be after the start/finish point that is waving a green!
We have studied this during the day and have come to the conclusion that the flag point on the outside of the circuit is just before the start/finish line and the chief flag on the inside.

Technically, the yellow flag on the outside prior to the green on the inside startline point is correct - because until the cars cross the start/finish line they remain under safety car conditions. However, I agree that this is one of those annoying "technicalities" that make you feel a bit foolish if it is you with the yellow in your hand!

A few years ago, I was flagging BTCC at Deer Leap at Oulton Park. There was a further flag point between us and the chief flag on the start line, which did not display the yellow at the point the chief put out the green - but they weren't half adamant that we shouldn't either. Whistles and bellows ahoy - but we were equally adamant that our yellow was correct, so out it stayed!
I believe there are now special flag instructions in the folder they hand out to the Deer Leap observer!

Not sure what is in them but, as far as I am concerned, any flag point not right on top of the start/finish line should display the yellow and SC board until all the cars have passed that flag point and then the green flag. Otherwise we leave ourselves open to drivers claiming that "there was no yellow" if they overtake prior to the re-start and get done for it.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1574702)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Correct. Post 1 is before the start finish line at Brands hence the flag signals
Old 9 Apr 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1574707)   #22
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Correct. Post 1 is before the start finish line at Brands hence the flag signals
Complete with Stone Wall Revetment, and new Engineered Observer's Box!!!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1574742)   #23
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on the driver?
Old 9 Apr 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1574744)   #24
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Complete with Stone Wall Revetment, and new Engineered Observer's Box!!!
I was looking at that on the coverage, it seemed to be a bit of a "trench" with a lid on it! It looked good though!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1574757)   #25
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
I was looking at that on the coverage, it seemed to be a bit of a "trench" with a lid on it! It looked good though!
Big problem along the Brabham Straight is that without the stone revetment walls, the earth embankment would slip down. A similiar stone wall had to be built along the front of the Paddock Hill Grandstand, so that Marshals had an access to the Ambulance Gate from Post 2