Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Dec 2000, 19:25 (Ref:53690)   #1
ganda123
Racer

ganda123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure what forum to be putting this in but after much thought I thought it would be better off here than in trackside...
As a member of my family works at the Goodwood Motor Circuit I can tell you all the Festival will be celebrating 100 years of Mercedes and the display (this year some hanging Jags) is hoped to be a Merc on top of a water feature of some kind, but it is still very much an idea as they're not sure it would be safe enough. The theme will be "The Will to Win". (Champions and Challengers in 2000)
No news on the revival just yet except that there will be a new race for race prototypes of the period (e.g. GT40s).
I'll keep you posted...
Old 21 Dec 2000, 20:21 (Ref:53707)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I saw that in Autosport the other day too - is there any chance that there will be some pre-war GP machinery running up the hill ? Let's hope so
Old 23 Dec 2000, 00:22 (Ref:53906)   #3
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is a question regarding Goodwood: Over the last few years I have been lucky enough to see taped shows of both the circuit and the "driveway" events. I understand that the circuit was and is owned by a private family, and that until the circuit event, what, 3 years ago, it hadn't been raced on since 65 or 66. Is the run up the chaps driveway done on the grounds of the home of the circuit owners?
It must be simply amazing to be at either of these events and smell, look and listen to all the wonderful cars and bikes that are there. Although it was on the tube, I still cherish the sound of Salvadori's Aston ('57,'58,'59?) making that delicious roar-I'll say it again, God you buggers are lucky having events like this to go to....
Old 23 Dec 2000, 00:29 (Ref:53907)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, Goodwood Circuit is located in the grounds of Goodwood Estate. The hill use for the Festival is indeed the front drive to the house on the estate!

ganda123 will fill you in more though as, as she stated, a member of her family works for the circuit... lucky girl!
Old 3 Jan 2001, 18:42 (Ref:55986)   #5
ganda123
Racer

djb, the circuit is just up the road from the house but it is still owned by the Earl of March who runs the estate. His father actually owns everything but isn't interested in motorsport, horses instead, so he looks after the horse racecourse and the Earl, who likes the motor racing, dreamed up the idea of re-opening the race circuit in '98 after it was closed in 1966 following a row over how it should be run, and the revival was born. When Lord March re-opened it again in '98 he drove round in a Bristol, exactly like his grandfather 50 years earlier.
The festival of speed is run up the house driveway and has been going for 8 years now. They also have current F1 and rally cars at the festival, whereas at the revival there is not a modern car in sight, not even the ambulances...very effective.
You can read more in the Goodwood circuit guide if you're interested, hope this helps
Old 4 Jan 2001, 17:58 (Ref:56041)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thanks ganda... speaking of ambulances, wasn't Jack Brabham injured there last year in a get together with another car. I remember reading that he went backwards into barriers at 90 or something and was knocked out etc. I never did have the chance to follow up on the news of him, I'm sure I would have heard if he had had very serious injuries- did he recover well and how bad were his injuries? Was it during the same year that a driver or marshall was killed, I heard that there was a bit of a rucus about it, which I hope has not threatened the continuation of the event.
Old 4 Jan 2001, 18:59 (Ref:56057)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
djb,

You are correct, Sir Jack was involve in an accident at the September 1999 Goodwood revival, however they do have modern ambulances to provide the safety cover, but they are parked out of direct sight. The old ones are there mainly for show. I think he was held overnight, nothing to bad.

The Marshall was killed at the Festival of Speed June 2000.

As both events are planne for 2001, I hope all safety concerns have been addressed.

Simon
Old 4 Jan 2001, 20:22 (Ref:56082)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was within sight of Sir Jack's accident in 1999, and nasty it certainly was. He was dicing with another car (Jackie Oliver I think), and they both tripped over a backmarker who tried too hard to get out of the way at the entrance to Lavant corner. Sir Jack's McLaren M4 rode over the other car's wheel, and was launched backwards into the top third of the tyre wall.

Now, the fact that it wouldn't have taken much more of a deflection to put him in the crowd meant that the FIA had serious misgivings about the circumstances. As the Goodwood circuit originally closed in 1966 due to the excessive speeds attainable by F1 and Sports GTs by that stage, it was decided that the anachronistic running of a 3-litre F1 race should be abolished, so that there there was no question of modifying the circuit to suit out-of-period cars.

Despite sustaining a couple of cracked ribs, I don't think it was very long before Sir Jack was appearing at car events again, albeit as a spectatior. On the video for this year's Goodwood Revival, Sir Jack is interviewed about his plans, and assures the interviewer that preparations for his forthcoming retirement may have to be reviewed....

I don't think the old boy wants to stop just yet!
Old 5 Jan 2001, 00:47 (Ref:56144)   #9
djb
Veteran

Tim, before I got married and had kids, I used to do long-distance bicycle touring, and on numerous occasions in France, I have come upon racing clubs chuffing up mountains on their light weight bikes. Invariably there would be a couple of skinny old chaps in racing suits etc, keeping up with the rest. This is one of my ambitions as I become an old fart- to still be physically fit and to be (a little) like Brabham, Moss, or even Paul Newman, with the eyesight and reflexes to still relish tossing a car into an apex at 70 plus years. Pretty good role models -much to my wife's chagrin!
ps: I recall seeing footage of Ford testing the GT-40 at Goodwood, must have been right before it was closed. Seem to remember that Lord March had an affinity for smaller displacement "smart and nimble" cars, and that the big, powerfull stuff put him off-plus, as you said, the track just wasn't suited to the speeds of the newer machinery. Plus, I believe his son said that his father would get passionate about something and after a given time, it would suddenly peter out.
Oh well, perhaps one day I will make it there for the events.(one can wish...)
Old 5 Jan 2001, 01:27 (Ref:56152)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
djb, I hope you make it, because the Circuit Revival really is the highlight of the racing year. Definitely an excuse to sneak over to England to catch the last of the summer...

As for keeping on keeping on, well, I suspect that my somewhat rounded physique will stay with me now to the last. Eddy Merckx I am not!

But for me the greatest advocate for senior racers is Mr Tom Delaney, who is, I believe, in his 90th year, still the possessor of a valid racing licence, and who still competes in a 1928 Lea Francis which he himself campaigned at Brooklands in 1932!

If I could be half as active as him at 90, I shall consider myself fortunate indeed.
Old 7 Jan 2001, 18:27 (Ref:57104)   #11
ganda123
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by SL
As both events are planne for 2001, I hope all safety concerns have been addressed.
The BARC and Goodwood have a meeting before the two events every year and discuss how they can make changes and improve from the year before. Then the BARC take the ideas away, make up their minds and they say if they think the track/hill will be safe enough. They are having a rethink for 2001 after the FoS last year...